1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any 12V lighter adapter to power my GH1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by norking, Feb 12, 2015.

1. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    So I've been making a lot of time-lapses lately with a GH1. I have a 12V charger for batteries but since swapping batteries in time lapse isn't an option, I was wondering how can I power my GH1 directly from my 12V car lighter?
    I've already searched the web but I didn't find anything

image.

My batteries are only 7.2V, If I could regulate my car voltage to 7V, and then to that DC coupler shown above, do you think it could work or am I asking for trouble?
    I mean, it can't be impossible to power up a camera from 12V!

If I can't get power directly from the lighter I think my last hope is buying a DC\AC power inverter and a 240V power supply...
    T2e_C16h_HJIYE9q_Uc_Q_4q_BRy_2_Bk_JWg_60_12. 1_0x0.

Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm sure it COULD be done if you really know your electronics and power stuff. But by far the easiest and safest method would be to just buy a relatively cheap AC inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and then plug the DC coupler cable into that. I got one at walmart for like $14 that puts out 150W and I can run a laptop off of it, so I'm sure it wouldn't sweat powering a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    One of the problems with car power is that it can be anywhere from ~11.5V - 14V+, so using some Zener Diodes to drop 5V would not suffice.

However, since the camera batteries have a voltage range (fully charged vs discharging), you do get a bit of range. Maybe a 6V drop would do.

Barry

4. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    I saw a video showing that a GH2 shuts off at 8.4V so I'm guessing the GH1 should be close to that.

But I can't get the right input voltage info that the GH1 needs. The manual says: Power Source: DC 9.3V. But I've got a GH2 adapter (DMW-AC8) that can work with the GH1 with the right coupler (DMW-DCC3) and the output is only 8.4V 2A just to confuse things a little bit.

I have some RC 11.1V Lipo batteries so maybe I go this route, giving me about 15 Hours:
    [video=vimeo;19591333]https://vimeo.com/19591333[/video]
    But buying first a voltage regulator:

Attached Files:

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Regulator should work. How much?
    Be sure to measure the output Voltage with load and without load; should not vary much.

If you're just going to use an 11V LiPo, you could use a Zener diode.
    However, I would think 7.4V LiPO RC batteries might work.

Barry

6. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Yes 7.2V would work but I only got 3S 5000mha 11.1V. I already have a voltage regulator (UBEC) for my FPV gear but it only converts the voltage to 5V (It costs only 3£)
    This one with the adjustable voltage is around 20€ but it's a multi purpose and very practical gadget

• Like Like x 1