Any 12V lighter adapter to power my GH1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by norking, Feb 12, 2015.

1. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    So I've been making a lot of time-lapses lately with a GH1. I have a 12V charger for batteries but since swapping batteries in time lapse isn't an option, I was wondering how can I power my GH1 directly from my 12V car lighter?
    I've already searched the web but I didn't find anything

image.jpg

My batteries are only 7.2V, If I could regulate my car voltage to 7V, and then to that DC coupler shown above, do you think it could work or am I asking for trouble?
    I mean, it can't be impossible to power up a camera from 12V!

If I can't get power directly from the lighter I think my last hope is buying a DC\AC power inverter and a 240V power supply...
    T2e_C16h_HJIYE9q_Uc_Q_4q_BRy_2_Bk_JWg_60_12.jpg 1_0x0.jpg

Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I'm sure it COULD be done if you really know your electronics and power stuff. But by far the easiest and safest method would be to just buy a relatively cheap AC inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and then plug the DC coupler cable into that. I got one at walmart for like $14 that puts out 150W and I can run a laptop off of it, so I'm sure it wouldn't sweat powering a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    One of the problems with car power is that it can be anywhere from ~11.5V - 14V+, so using some Zener Diodes to drop 5V would not suffice.

However, since the camera batteries have a voltage range (fully charged vs discharging), you do get a bit of range. Maybe a 6V drop would do.

Barry

4. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    I saw a video showing that a GH2 shuts off at 8.4V so I'm guessing the GH1 should be close to that.

But I can't get the right input voltage info that the GH1 needs. The manual says: Power Source: DC 9.3V. But I've got a GH2 adapter (DMW-AC8) that can work with the GH1 with the right coupler (DMW-DCC3) and the output is only 8.4V 2A just to confuse things a little bit.

I have some RC 11.1V Lipo batteries so maybe I go this route, giving me about 15 Hours:
    [video=vimeo;19591333]https://vimeo.com/19591333[/video]
    But buying first a voltage regulator:

Attached Files:

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Regulator should work. How much?
    Be sure to measure the output Voltage with load and without load; should not vary much.

If you're just going to use an 11V LiPo, you could use a Zener diode.
    However, I would think 7.4V LiPO RC batteries might work.

Barry

6. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Yes 7.2V would work but I only got 3S 5000mha 11.1V. I already have a voltage regulator (UBEC) for my FPV gear but it only converts the voltage to 5V (It costs only 3£)
    This one with the adjustable voltage is around 20€ but it's a multi purpose and very practical gadget

• Like Like x 1