1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

AntiShock 0 on the E-M5 II... Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larryis1, Apr 4, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    How many of our forum members that use the new E-M5 II keep their camera set AntiShock 0 for normal still/single shot photography? Please respond yes (keep it set at AS 0) or no (do not keep it set at AS 0)? I am trying to see if a consensus exists for the use of this feature in the mode specified. I just shot a test of four photos - same composition (all at a speed of 1/60 second, both with and w/o AS 0), and can not tell the difference when examined in an enlarged state.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The whole issue of shutter shock is shrouded in subtlety and variability of results. There are just too many variables (lens, shutter speed, hand-holding technique, copy variability) and on top of that different photographers will have different sensitivities to the problem. I know this last one from experience - I was convinced my E-P5 was immune, but on looking at some photos with fabric in them, it was plain that the weave was quite visible outside the danger shutter-speed zone, but completely disappeared in it. The addition of 0s anti-shock to the E-P5's firmware also completely fixed it.

So, whilst I don't have the mark II, my advice would be to just leave it on. It adds a 20ms delay before exposure starts which for most uses will not be noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Where did you see that information? I didn't think there was any extra delay, that it why it is called what it is.

(I agree with everything else you wrote. Best to have it on. 4 test photos proves not a lot.)

4. pault

pault Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    From what I can tell shutter shock seems to show at 1/160 very slightly

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does the '0' second Antishock on the E-M5 II do it the same as the E-M1 (& E-P5) with a mechanical shutter first with 20ms delay following it? I was under the impression with using '0'second antishock in the E-M5 II that the 1st mechanical shutter doesn't operate in that model camera (that is, no shutter curtain operation, no shock) with only an electronic shutter to start exposure & only ends exposure with the mechanical. Also, it has a full electronic shutter option too. In other words, it's an improvement over all PENs & OM-Ds so far in that regard.

If that is the case, then using Antishock all the time should be fine (where it is available) as it cuts out above a certain shutter speed anyhow (for the E-M5 II if I remember correctly).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all for your helpful feedback. A Happy Easter to all. Larry

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My comments about the 20ms delay are true for the E-M1, E-P5 and E-M10. It could well be the case with the mark II that the shutter operation sequence is different with the shutter only making its first move after the exposure is complete - if that's the case then there would be no need for the 20ms delay.

8. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    Would be good to know if this camera can do full electronic shutter or otherwise fully resolve shutter shock. Might get me to switch from my beloved EM10.

I'm getting sharp shots with my EM10 but the piece of mind would be worth it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It does have the option for electronic shutter, but becomes an issue with faster moving objects due to rolling shutter with that method (faster read out of sensors in the future will improve this use.

11. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I use the A7S a lot and have it on electronic shutter almost permanently. The only time I need to use the mechanical shutter is for certain kinds of fluorescent light where you get dark stripes across the picture. This was also my experience with the electronic shutter on the x-t1.
    I am yet to fully test my E-M5 ii but I suspect it will be the same. One thing I also noticed with the x-t1 was the limitation of a maximum 1s shutter when set on electronic shutter, so any long exposure shots I had to use the mechanical shutter. Not sure if this is the same on the E-M5 ii.