1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Antelope Canyon shots using E-Mxx?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by mievil, Mar 31, 2016.

1. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    I am having a hard time finding any substantial amount of shots with an Oly in Antelope Canyon, either Upper or Lower. Anyone have anything to share? I will be heading next week with a FF, but I want to bring my E-M5, too. I'll need to rent a lens, but want to see everyone's pics.

I have searched here and Google and only have found about 5 pics total.

Thanks!

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have driven past it a number of times but never stopped off. Some how I think HDR will be your friend

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    FWIW, we are planning to be there next week and I am going to be carrying my E-M10. Wider is better seems to be general advice, so I am thinking my 9-18. Are you thikning of renting one of the 7-14s? Would love to see other m43 samples.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, did you see the Slot Canyons thread?

5. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    I did see the Slots thread. :) Just looking for more.

SV, I was actually thinking about renting the 40-150. :p I have this weird want to just bring off the wall lenses to places. I just don't know what the heck I want to do. I think, by the consensus I've seen, a 24-70 equiv would be fine, though lots say wider is better. I may rent the 12-40 just because I have been wanting to swap out my FF 24-70 anyway. But I sure would like to get in there with a crazy lens, as it will be a second body for me. We'll be hitting other major attractions along the way as well.

6. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Mine is a tale of caution and regret. We visited the upper canyon a couple of years ago in winter. It is very dark, very crowded and surprisingly short. Unless you've booked one of the photography package, there isn't time to set up a shot nor were tripods permitted. I had E-M5 and 12-40, but was woefully unprepared. Focus can be slow and sluggish, and none of the shots really came out well. A few were uploaded here so would-be travelers can get some idea.

This time of year might be better. Be sure to pick the right tour to see the light beam, which only appears in the right time. Check out Dan's pic in the Slot Canyon thread. I was not on a photography tour. While my tour guide was very nice and showed us all the good spots, and held off other groups so we can get a shot, there is really no time to wander around. The lower canyon is supposedly better. Different but less crowded. I didn't have a chance to visit unfortunately.

The first pic is taken near the entrance, where it was relatively large and bright and not crowded. The last shot was taken in iso 6400 when I was getting frustrated.

26162537665_baa705a774_n. 26096175151_cbcd854c7e_n. 26096173391_81af63e5b3_n. 25559876813_217cccbe5d_n.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Thanks, mossie. I have read quite a bit about the frustrations with Upper. I won't be able to do a photo tour because my daughter is too young for the "rules". I have been wanting to do this for some time, so I will probably take the normal tour with the family and come back by myself.

FWIW, I also just read on the tour sites that the photo package tour price for upper is increasing tomorrow to $120 per person. That is for an hour. O_O . I dunno if that is just for increased revenue, or to help alleviate traffic because less people will be willing to pay that. Of course, I suspect the former.

8. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    $120? Wow! On the other hand, it probably means condition is better. Looking at other people's pictures, I think winter is just a lousy time to visit.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Sounds like you are doing something similar to us. We are driving down from the Bay Area to Zion and then looping around before doing the Grand Canyon and heading back. I posted about in a separate thread. My wife will have a DSLR as well which will have an 24-70 equivalent on it. Between the two of us we should be covered. I hear on you the weird lens bit. I am big fan of shooting landscapes with long teles. The 40-150 might be interesting in the slot. My last time in their was a 35-70 zoom and ISO 100 film. This time is more for the kids and I will be happy to get a few decent shots.

I was looking at the Photo tour as well and then they changed the rules this week that kids were not allowed. We are booked on some tour (my wife called up and spoke to one of the guides) which is $40/adult and $20/child. I was there years ago with a friend and things were kind of haphazard. We just showed up there and found a guide who took us in. I am not sure if that is still the case.

Mossie, I think these are very nice esp. given the conditions you are describing.

11. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Thanks!

12. DenverDutchman

DenverDutchman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado, Denver area
    I did both the Antelope Canyons as part of the Steve Huff tour in November 2014. It was a blast! Here is a link to Steve's site: The Southwest Road Trip/Workshop Update with Video!

I used an OM-D E-M5 and the kit 12-50mm lens for this part of the tour, and it worked fine. Key was a simple tripod (monopod will work as well if you have a faster lens). I would not recommend going over ISO 400 or 800 to retain maximum detail.

Below a couple of my pics of that tour.
    [​IMG]Untitled by jphsmits, on Flickr

17935855205_6a5961d76b_h. Untitled by jphsmits, on Flickr

17933207262_210e7e3d15_h. Untitled by jphsmits, on Flickr

17909788166_22bf603363_h. Untitled by jphsmits, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    These are very nice. I believe that tripods are not allowed unless you are on a photo tour, so it will be handheld for me.

This is very encouraging for me. I was going to try and go wide with the O9-18, but maybe I might do the 25/1.8 on my E-M10. Maybe a touch long, but will help with ISO.

15. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I think the 25mm will be too long If I remember correctly, the 9-18 might do the job but you will have to push the Iso. It's better to go higher in iso and don't have a blur picture, you can always smooth the grain in post prod.

16. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks for the input. I knew I should have bought that P15 :) I will stick with my initial plan and go with the 9-18. BTW, I clicked through to your flickr images, but did not see the camera EXIF information. Were these at f/1.8? And would you remember the ISO?

17. DenverDutchman

DenverDutchman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado, Denver area
    I was on a photo tour indeed so tripod was allowed. Would a monopod be allowed on a regular tour? Would definitely be more than enough if you can use a fast lens like the 12mm or 17mm Oly's. Even the 12-40mm f2.8 would work well. ... try keep the ISO down though if you can (especially if you plan to print large). Have fun, it is a spectacular place for sure!

18. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Yes I don't know why some of my pictures doesn't have the full exif on flickr, but these one has it : Antelope canyon
    F2.5 Iso 2000

19. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    My fastest lens is the 25/1.8 which will probably be too long. When I was last there (2000) with a 35-70 zoom and film, I remember feeling that even the 35 end was a little limited. A 7-14 would be ideal. I actually called my local camera store earlier today to see if they had either of them available for rental, but no luck. I don't own a monopod, but I will see if I can pick up one those walking stick monopods and try to take it in. Looking at the f2.5/ISO 2000 sample makes me think that the 9-18 may produce something reasonable at ISO 3200.

20. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    From what I read, they squash monos along with tripods unless the extra fee is paid. HOWEVER, I don't see any harm in trying. :) As long as you have an inexpensive monopod that you wanted to try, you could just ditch it at tour start if necessary.

I just rented a 12-40 for the trip. So I will have m43 24-80 equiv, FF 24-70, and FF 15-30. Hopefully I get a couple shots to offset the rental fees. I have been pining after a 12-40 long enough, it is time to give it a real world try vs the same FL in FF. :) Difference would be my wife will be hauling the Oly. Sooooooo.......obviously her shots will be better. :)