Antarctica, South Georgia & the Falkland Islands

Roel

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Everyone,

I am a photographer and recently (Dec. 2010) returned from an expedition to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falkland Islands. It was an amazing trip. Actually, that is an understatement.

When I was planning our trip, I found a lot of useful travel and photography information - and I would like to share it with you, along with my experience with what worked, and what did not. I have written a 25 part series on the whole experience - I just thought it might help someone out who is planning a voyage to this part of the world.

Just as an aside: I took a GF1 (plus the 14mm and 20mm pancake lenses) with me... I cannot begin to tell you how handy it was to have alongside my regular camera kit!

We traveled with Quark Expeditions (who were fantastic - I am not affiliated with them in anyway, just a happy passenger), however, I believe many other Antarctic operators stop at the same places. Anyway, here it is:

holy F stop: Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falkland Islands - Index

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

Best wishes and if you get the chance to visit this part of the world, do it - you will never regret it.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great Photos!

I have to say that I really enjoyed seeing these photos. One of my other hobbies is amateur radio. Over the 40 years I've been on the year I've spoken to several stations from Falkland. It's nice to know what it looks like! I've also spoke to several station down at the South Pole.

Thanks for sharing!

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
A fantastic read, and beautiful pictures. It's nice to see m4/3 aquit itself well alongside your other unashamedly pro kit!

Roel

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi akulua and wasabi bob,

Thanks for your kind words. The u43 gear was a godsend... I am so glad I had it. I have actually printed (commercially) some of those u43 images up to 16x24 and they have held up really well. It was great having a competent compact camera with me.

I will actually be writing about a trip to Guatemala (in a couple of weeks) where I only took u43 gear and I left my pro kit at home. Bottom line - the u43 kit performed extremely well and my back really thanked me for it!

All the best,

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ditto

The more I use MFT cameras, the more I realize that the days of carrying those big & bulky cameras are behind me. Sometimes I think that the Canon and Nikon guys just have too much invested and twice as much pride that prevents them from trying an MFT camera. Again, thanks for sharing!

Roel

Mu-43 Rookie
The more I use MFT cameras, the more I realize that the days of carrying those big & bulky cameras are behind me. Sometimes I think that the Canon and Nikon guys just have too much invested and twice as much pride that prevents them from trying an MFT camera. Again, thanks for sharing!

I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am with u43 gear, and it can only get better.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pro Nikon gear, as heavy as it is... it is still the best (right now) when it comes to my paid assignments for responsiveness and image quality (although, my new GH2 is amazing on all fronts). But, for travel or having a competent compact camera, u43 is awesome and my back (and chiropractor) thanks me every time I use it.

As sensor technology improves - and also, with the new offerings in the future from Panny, Oly, and the other u43 members - the system can only get better.

I also hope Sony NEX and Samsung NX improve too... healthy competition is good, right?

Cheers
Roël

sheepsteeth

Mu-43 Regular
thats a fantastic site, i love the pictures of Stanley, reminds me of my couple of visits doing bomb disposal out there in 07 and 08. A really remarkable place and more proudly British than Britain!

Roel

Mu-43 Rookie
thats a fantastic site, i love the pictures of Stanley, reminds me of my couple of visits doing bomb disposal out there in 07 and 08. A really remarkable place and more proudly British than Britain!

Funny you should mention the bombs... there were a couple beaches we could not go on because they were mined ... at least, the locals thought they were. Really brought home the reality that there was a war there three decades ago.

sheepsteeth

Mu-43 Regular
we werent allowed on the beaches either as it is easier to mark them up as minefields as opposed to trying to clear them. this is because as the tides wash in and out, mines occasionally emerge from the sand then sink for a while then pop back up, very strange behaviour.

beautiful place though.

peterpix

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Randal
Wonderful blog

A walking disability prevents me from such a trip so thanks for taking me along from my armchair. ONe of the best trip reviews I've read. Excellent info on grear as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom