Ant in the Morning

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Same ant, different BG's. It was cold enough she didn't move much, good for a shot or two - in our currently lifeless (of small creatures) winter's end.

Offset to sunrise through the branches towards sunrise.
1-p1090710-mark-berkery.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Clear blue sky to the west around same time.
4-p1090760-mark-berkery.jpg

Red flower in the garden.
3-p1090738-mark-berkery.jpg

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The process is simple. I use the old Panny FZ50 + achromats (stacked) that give me a working distance of around 2". I hold the leaf in one hand and rest the lens on the same for stability - so I stand in the field and point in any direction, as long as I am careful not to jar the leaf or otherwise disturb the ant - small creatures can often seem to be in a form of trance (or sleep), from which they can be awoken.

Lighting is on-board flash snooted and diffused. I do use an Ext flash at times but prefer the usual. See here : Macro Illustrated | Nature's Place for pix and the whole rundown. Long, I know ... :)

This is fantastic. Please walk us through your process in taking this photo. Any off camera flash?

kakilima

New to Mu-43
Very beautiful , LIKE alots of your works:)))

Kaki

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Forgot to add; I usually take such shots from a kneeling position, or look for something to lean against - for stability which is critical at high mags and where ambient light is allowed by the settings with fill flash to light it up but also to stop the movement for sharper result.

Not much good if not sharp enough to work with ...

Thanks for sharing your process Mark. Bravo

Latest threads

Top Bottom