1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ANSWERED! Domke F-5XB / OM-D Owners

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Fmrvette, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The original question is below, but the answer is that the Domke F-5XC will do the job. Thanks to everyone who chimed in, and to Gary Ayala who happens to have all of the gear mentioned and was able to confirm that it all fits into the bag. I have ordered the bag.

Gang,

LOTS and LOTS of info on bags in this forum. I've read a considerable number of posts but haven't been able to cull the answer to my question, so I'll venture to start yet another bag thread. I apologize for the "yet another" bag question but I'm suffering from an excruciating case of G.A.S.

My OM-D should be delivered on Wednesday (possibly Thursday) next week :thumbup:.

My question is for folks who have the Domke F-5XB and an OMD.

Will the Domke F-5XB bag hold the OM-D body with the following lenses:

Kit lens 12-50mm, Panasonic 20mm, and Panasonic 45-200?

Without the camera and kit lens on hand (not to mention the bag hasn't even been ordered yet) it's difficult to judge. Neither of the local camera shops has the Domke in stock to look at.

It would be great if the camera body could be stored with any of the three lenses attached while leaving room for the remaining two, but I don't want a bag that has too much empty space in it and carries like a steamer trunk.

I have larger bags, and smaller bags, but nothing that will hold the above gear without being too large (most of my bags are designed to hold a Nikon D300 with battery grip).

I'm looking for the "goldilocks" Domke bag :wink:.

(This waiting for the camera is going to be the end of me. I've already ordered an upgrade for my monopod, a screen protector, and a spare battery; the 40-200 lens is on backorder from B&H (at the old price of $199) and now I'm looking at bags. Did I mention I'll be needing another memory card? :rolleyes:).

I gotta get into a cheaper hobby...like collecting used aircraft carriers.

Thanks!

Jim

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I use the F6 and love it. Three bodies, three lenses, flash, and stuff.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Jim. I have the F-5XB and usually carry my E-M5 with 12mm and hood mounted on one side, and then the PL25 and Oly 45 with hoods and 2 filter boxes on the other side. It is fairly snug, but works pretty well to work out of the bag like that. Sorry, I do not have the zooms you mentioned... it would seem like it may be just a touch too small?

4. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Wow, that was fast! :thumbup:

Thanks for the information, it sounds as if you've nailed it, the F-5XB is a touch too small. That's good to know, saves buying and shipping back.

Regards,

Jim

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks! It appears the F-5XB will be a bit tight; I'll check out the F6.

I appreciate it.

Regards,

Jim

6. Don't own the OM-D. Use the XB with a GF-1 +LVF or G2 and similar lens (14-45mm, 20mm and 45-200mm) for when traveling light. Posted some images on the very long bag thread of the XB & XC. Find the XB works fine. Accessories are limited to the remote, spare battery, spare sd cards and cleaning supplies. A slightly larger bag is the XC. My go to bag when packing the G2 or GF-1 + 9-18mm, 14-45mm, 20mm & 100-300mm.

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks Noel.

Life would be easier if there weren't so many choices :smile: .

I'll check out the XC.

Regards,

Jim

8. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I can get a G3 with mounted Panasonic 14-42 plus 45-200, 20 and 45 primes into my F5xb. I have to reverse the hoods and I can't put the camera away with the 45-200 mounted. I get some batteries, cards, camelhair brush and a couple of cased filters in too.
    My general rule is "if it don't fit in the F5xb I'm not taking it".

9. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I have the F5-XB and love it as well. I usually carry an OM-D with the PL25mm attached in the middle with the Oly 12mm and PL45mm on the sides. A little tight but it works and I also have room for filters, memory cards, and hopefully batteries. When Im out hiking I use the Domke Belt accessory to use the F5-XB as a belt bag.

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I hear ya. I'm downsizing from Nikon D300 kit to M4/3. I've got a Nikon gear bag that will hold Olympus. Not the camera, the mountain :biggrin:.

I'm thinking at this point the F5xb will be a might tight for my purposes, but even so the body and three lenses will be considerably less than I am used to schlepping around.

Thanks!

Jim

11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I envy you the primes; for now I'll be using the 20mm and the two zooms so I need a bag that will do the deed for those.

From everyone's responses the F5 won't quite make the stretch.

I appreciate the assistance - the local camera shops are not what they were in the 70's.

Regards,

Jim

12. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think it will be too small. Right now I have in it the Pany 100-300, the E-M5 with grip and 14-140 lens, and the 9-18 lens. The E-M5 lays on top with the attached lens downward.

13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

rkelac,

Thanks - I don't have the grip, so that will save some room. I do have it on my 'to get list'. This G.A.S. is getting serious...:wink:

Regards,

Jim

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi Jim. Not a direct answer to your question but fairly close...

I've been using a Domke F-10 for the past 18 months, and I usually load it with the GH2, Nokton 25mm, Lumix 7-14mm and m.ZD 45mm, with any of the lenses mounted. Then I carry an A5 Moleskine, 2x spare batteries and a couple of filters and spare cards in the front pocket. It takes that combination quite snuggly - that is; it fits it fine, but that's about the limit.

I think an EM5, 12-50mm, 20mm and 45-200mm would take up a similar amount of space...

For what it's worth, I really like this bag - very simple, well designed, well build, and gets better with age :smile:

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Nick, for a moment I thought you were talking about me (except for the "well designed, well built part :biggrin:). I am very simple and do get better with age. :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the information, I'll check out the F-10; the only thing I seem to agree with myself on is that I've settled on Domke.

Regards,

Jim

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hell yeah! In a number of configurations with room upstairs for more stuff, a sub sandwich or a wrap of Fig Newtons. I was surprised, but quite easily.

Gary

PS- For the record, I have the bag, the lenses and the camera.
    G

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Gary, as noted in P.M., that tips the scales and I'll be ordering that bag.

MANY, MANY thanks to everyone who chimed in with information and recommendations. I hope that I'll be able to repay the favor along the way.

Best regards,

Jim

18. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Same here but I kinda feel it is a bit small and unless he only sticks with a similarly sized kit he will out grow the bag. It won't fit all that with the full grip on. I think you should get teh f5xc I am looking at it myself.

19. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Here's a cool comparison and review of the F10. Half way down the page there's a shot comparing the size with XB and XC.

Domke F-10 (black) review - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I had an XB and loved the small size. Double stick taping(stacking) two end caps will help utilize vertical storage in any bag and may help regardless of bag.

The comment about adding to your kit rings true for me. The fact that m43 is smaller has just allowed me to carry more. :smile: Two bodies and four lenses are usually a minimum for me.

Another thing I'd like to add is that I like to shoot and sheath so accessibility is a major point for me. The XB may be a bit tight. Ymmv.

Lastly I would like to recommend the Thinktank Hubba Hubba Hiney. Not aesthetic like the Domkes but well made and a nice size for what I like to carry with "accessibility".

20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hummm. Now that I've seen that XC, hummm. :smile: