Answer on why buy grip for E-M5 mark III

Transalp01

Mu-43 Regular
My reasons for buying the ECG-5 grip:
  • GAS, one more thing to buy :thumbsup:
  • If you use wrist straps. It feels better hanging in the hand with bigger grip.
but for handling it is not needed but nice when using 40-150 Pro and even more when you add MC-20.

But not needed.

Transalp01

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Real Name
[email protected]
I bought the OEM grip... it's very comfortable, but I usually leave it off. Only if I have the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro on, do I like to have the grip on. I've recently gotten a few primes (12mm f/2, 17mm f/1.8 and the Pan 25 f/1.7) and often use the 14-42EZ. With those tiny lenses there's no real need for the extra grip. I like to keep the camera compact and tiny.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This sounds crazy, I know. But for me, this very good grip has a feature I really like and had never encountered before. A knurled thumbwheel at the bottom and back of the frame that allows one to attach the grip without turning it over and eliminates the problem of over-tightening the tripod socket.

If the grip feels a little loose, my thumb on my left hand naturally falls on the wheel, and I can tighten the thing with my thumb without disrupting my shooting flow by turning the camera over and tightening it.

It's the little things that can turn a product one likes into a product one talks about to others.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find that I like the projected grip to aid in holding onto the camera when quickly working the zoom ring.
The Olympus zoom rings have a bit too much drag, so when I turn the zoom ring, I also rotate the camera. So I have to hang on to the camera to prevent it from rotating.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Thank you!

I looked at third party but bought the original from Olympus. Expensive to get the Fogrip to Sweden and hard to know when to get it delivered. Otherwise I liked it. So Olympus ECG-5 was the best solution. Nice even with small prime.
I like the STC FOGRIP too. Looks like a great design, but as you say, the shipping is offputting. They said that Amazon US is a distributor, but AFAIK, Amazon US has none of their products available. I would have bought the Olympus grip, but was disappointed that there are no Arca-Swiss flanges on it. Can't be clamped directly onto an Arca-Swiss head.

Gsansoucie

Mu-43 Rookie
I don't know if there is a version of the Hogue grip for the Mk3. I received mine (eBay/China) last week and took it out this weekend. What a difference it makes. Best $59 I've spent. I had always bought overpriced RRS brackets for my cameras and would have done the same for my Mk2, but they don't make one..

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I don't know if there is a version of the Hogue grip for the Mk3. I received mine (eBay/China) last week and took it out this weekend. What a difference it makes. Best $59 I've spent. I had always bought overpriced RRS brackets for my cameras and would have done the same for my Mk2, but they don't make one..
Haoge does have a version for the 5.3. Glad you like your Haoge. Does it fit perfectly and feel solid?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haoge-HG-E...MARK-III-ft-Arca-Tripod-Ballhead/184290604690

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What I wish more of the grip makers would do, is to put a strap eye on the right side of the plate.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That allows you to move the right strap down to the plate, and out of the way of your right hand. So it is easier to work the camera without the strap getting in the way.
Once I discovered this, I moved all my right side straps down to the plate, on plates with a strap eye.
And a strap eye is now one of my requirements for plates/L-brackets.

Gsansoucie

Mu-43 Rookie
Haoge does have a version for the 5.3. Glad you like your Haoge. Does it fit perfectly and feel solid?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haoge-HG-E...MARK-III-ft-Arca-Tripod-Ballhead/184290604690
Yes, the grip is just the right size. There were a few out there, but this one looked to be the right size, not too wide. The L-Bracket is removable, I can open the LCD, but I can’t swivel it for low to the ground shots, so I removed it and put it in my camera bag in case I need to shoot some stabilized panos.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does anybody have any inkling as to how adding the Olympus grip affects the weather sealing on the em5iii? There are mating electrical contacts that would have to be protected.

Real Name
[email protected]
I found something about the OEM grip that should be a warning - I haven't used it in a bit, but I did this past weekend. I wanted to use the 12-40, and that's my largest/heaviest lens. The camera just feels better with the grip on. Well, I had the grip in one of my camera bags, and neglected to put the cover over the pins that connect to the camera. One of them got bent somehow. It caused the camera to reset every few seconds. Luckily I had my tool bag with me (I was out at a fly-in with my paramotor) and I was able to straighten it and it resolved the issue.

So if you get the OEM grip, be sure to keep the little plastic cover and keep it on the grip when not in use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom