1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another which should I get thread E-M10 II or E-M5 II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, May 4, 2016.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I currently have the E-M10 Mark I. I really like it and want to upgrade. I am waiting for another 20% off sale at the Olympus Outlet, so I can hopefully snag a E-M5 II for about $575. I can also get an E-M10 II for $549. My question is this...the E-M5 II came out over a year ago, while the E-M10 II came out last August. Is the E-M5 II getting outdated? Should I get the refurbed E-M5 II or a new E-M10 II. Any opinions appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

2. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I really like my m10 II, when researching a lot info I gathered was that the m10 II was better than the m5 in some ways with the upgrades and picture quality was same. It seemed like it was more of a choice between the m10 II and the m1. The new ergonomics of the m10 II won me over. I like how the dual dials are raised and the newer on off switch. I think for me it came down to how I felt using it and not much about how it performed since all the models IQ were virtually identical. I think the m10 II feels modern retro to me and it's the first camera out of 5 or 6 I've bought and returned in 5 months that I just didn't like. ( I returned A5100 A6000, G5X, RX100 iii and iv thank you Best Buy return policy ), I just didn't feel it with any of them. I want to enjoy my hobby and feel good about what I'm using. Alot say the gear doesn't matter, but I think it does if it's a hobby. Now I got a used PL7 to compliment my M10 II.

Now that I think of it, I bet I made some open box discount buyers happy..

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    For me, it came down to the screen. I prefer M10's tilt screen over M5's flip screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What about the E-M10 do you feel needs an upgrade? You didn't really mention any criteria for us to help you pick one or the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Probably comes down to if you want weather proofing and high res mode or not, both are great. I travel prefer the weather proofing option. EM5 II is not outdated it still generally beats the E-m10 ii on specs. I think the only thing the em10 ii has is the trackpad AF and I have heard conflicting reports on it's usability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I hate flippy screens so for me the E-M10ii. Shame really though since the IBIS on the 5ii is to die for...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    E-M5 ii IBIS is better and allows for hi-res mode (tripod only). E-M10 ii has a 5-axis IBIS too but previous generation. Another big difference of course is dust/weather sealing (with sealed lenses). Bigger EVF too, focus stacking, a little higher fps, 1/8000s shutter speed vs 1/4000s, one extra function button, the 2x2 lever to change the dials functions. You only give up the pop-up flash and "touch focus" I think.
    I used the swivel LCD on a G6 and I liked it a lot for low angle vertical shots and even for horizontal ones you can get much more freedom with the orientation. Yes, it's more clumsy but the functionality is just better.
    I know which I would get :)

8. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I have a EM10 MKI and have recently thought about upgrading as well. I just cannot bring myself to do it as with the exception of weather proofing and the tripod only high res shot, there really are no good enough reasons to spend $600. Low light/ high ISO is not all that improved between the two bodies. IBIS is better in the 5 MKII but not that much better as I do not think I have ever taxed the IBIS in my 10 MKI.

I would rather spend the money on a 12-40/ 2.8 which would benefit me more than a new body. Or, better yet, find a Rollei TLR medium format to play with.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I added an E-M5 I mainly to get the weathersealing. They are a pretty cheap used second body.

10. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    In my original post I failed to notice you said you had the m10 mk1, with that being said as far as specs it's not worth the upgrade to spend for the mk10 m2. If you really see a need for an upgrade then the mk5 or mk1 would be the ticket. However some like generation upgrades of the same model.

11. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    What exactly are you looking for in an upgrade? More features (mk5 or mk1)? Old m10 is having problems but satisfied with its performance (another m10 body or m10 mk2)? Just want latest and greatest (Pen F)?

12. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I like my E-m10, just looking for more features. I like the idea of better IBIS and weather sealed wide be nice, although I don't have any weather sealed lenses.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Well, I did exactly what you want to do - upgraded my EM10 mk1 with a refurb + 20% off E-M5mkII. I would do it again, though in my case I was also looking for a second body that would give me some additional features. I wanted to try the high res, but the much improved video quality and features like focus bracketing, silent shutter and much better implementation of focus peaking are also very useful and frequently used upgrades for me, since I do video at least once every few months and a lot of macro. The weatherproofing is nice, too, since I have the 12-40.

Other than the tilt/flip screen issue, you may wish to consider that over the past year Olympus added quite a few new features via firmware to the EM-1 and EM5ii, and until there is an EM5mkIII I would expect that the mkII will get some new features via firmware that the EM10mkII will not get as an entry level OM-D model.

A few additional notes - though the size difference between the EM10 and EM5mkII is not significant, the latter is much more solidly built and feels/looks very high end but that does add a bit of extra weight. I now use my old EM10 with a prime as my "carry everywhere" option but the EM5MkII as my main camera. When I go on a photo outing, I bring both to minimize lens changes. It works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    Ultimately you need to decide on what features you want/need. I have been using a M10 for 2 years and got a M10 II two weeks ago for $430. I got the Mk II mainly for the silent shutter. My son performs at piano recitals a couple times a year. I always take pictures and my wife takes video. I hate hearing the shutter sound in the videos and that's my reason for the upgrade.

One more tiny consideration.... If you have many batteries for your current M10, they can be used in M10 II. M5 uses a different battery.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the E-M5 II is better in every way. Though I do like the size and build of the E-M10 II.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Maybe just get a new lens to play with and you'll get over the idea to get a new camera. You know the saying if you want a new car just wash and detail your old one and probably your idea to sell it goes away.

You camera is still relevant , it's hard to decide to upgrade.

Maybe wait for the a iii generation of the m5 or m1 to come out so you'll have the newest one before you jump on something now.

But I can't blame you if you just want something new now, I'm a gadget guy and like to buy things I don't need.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  17. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Order one off Best Buy website, most stores don't carry the Olympus OMD line, at least that's what I see here in Texas. If you don't like it or can't justify it after you bought it, Best Buy has no questions asked return policy. Just bring it into the store and return it.

18. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I've just bought in the last few days the E-M5 Mark ii with the 12-50mm from ebay for a silly cheap price, I wasn't going too though as I already own a Panasonic GX8 I was after a G7 as a second body,

But everybody keeps going on about Olympus colours and how fantastic the IBIS is, plus a lot of other handy features it has built into it that the Panasonic doesn't have, so I thought why not and give it a try,

So do I like it more then my GX8?

Well yes and no, the GX8 is better built and feels more sturdy in the hand, the viewfinder is also better on the GX8, then we have the menus, now I know this has been talked about for years but my god what are Olympus smoking, they are a total mess compared to Panasonic, I don't normally read manuals but it's been my bedtime reading for the last 3 days and I'm still none the wiser, the stupid lock on the mode dial is a pain and not needed as the dial needs a firm touch to move it anyway, the viewfinder eye sensor doesn't work if you have the screen flipped out to the side??? The 2x2 switch is pointless, and this is what I've found in three days of ownership.

So your thinking now I hate it and will be selling it on again, Hell No, even though the 12-50mm is a dog of a lens, the images I've got really are better in my eyes then the GX8 but I only shoot jpegs at the moment, the IBIS is some sort of weird magic, I've never seen its like before, then we have the high res mode, focus stacking and a lot of other stuff I haven't even started with yet, I haven't instantly bonded with the Olympus like I did with the Panasonic but I'm going to stick with it, and try to learn to use it correctly.

I know I'm comparing it to a camera you don't own, but I thought it might help to hear my short experience with a camera you are looking to upgrade to, and as you are already a Olympus user the menu system will not be a great shock to you as it was for me.....

19. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    It doesn't seem you 'need' to upgrade. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the money for better lenses first.

20. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis

It's not the most simplest of menus but I think once your used to the menus like anything it becomes second nature, once I set what I wanted in the setup menus I really can do everything else I want quickly from the quick menu that pops up on the display. I can say I do like the Olympus quick menu better than the Sony quick menus. The regular menus on both are about the same to me, just ok.

Now that I think of it, based on other comments in other threads that dislike the menu system I'm wonder if a lot of people don't realize there is a quick menu?