Another "which lens should I buy?" thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dhewie84, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I have the G5 that I purchased nearly a year ago along with the 14-45mm and 45-150mm. Probably 75% of my pictures are of the kids(2,7,9)/family at home or other settings. This will also include some sports such as soccer, basketball, baseball from time to time. The remaining is going to be mostly vacation landscape and classic cars. I also anticipate getting into more landscape/nature type shooting, but that will probably be much later down the road when I actually have some free time.

So far I'm pretty content with the kit lenses, but I am thinking of adding another lens. I still consider myself a noobie at this point, so I'm not sure what I should go far. At this point I'm looking for the best bang for my buck (trying to stay less than $300 used/new) in a good lens. For now this would be my only lens purchase for a while. What would the experts suggest as the best one to expand my arsenal?
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A fast, normalish lens adds a large range of photos you can take in available light. For $300, a used 20/1.7 would be it. Similar focal length Sigma lenses are cheaper and good lenses, but they just aren't fast enough (large enough aperture).
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    My fast-focus indoor lens is the £99 Sigma 30mmF2.8, (in the family home, a good focal length, super-fast focus, decent aperture.)
    and it still is, despite owning the Lumix20mmMkI and M.Zuiko 45mmF1.8

for £99 you cannot go wrong, or splash out MORE for the M.Zuiko 17mmF1.8 or new 25mm ...
  4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    My go-to focal length is 28mm, usually 2.5 or 2.8. If I were replacing them with an AF lens, it would probably be the 30mm Sigma or the Panasonic 25/1.4.

However, I agree with the above post that the 20/1.7 would also fit nice. One problem with these really fast lenses is that if you shoot in auto, they will always be wide open indoors and become much different beasts than your kit lenses.
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Prime is definitely the way to go, I personally think the 20mm is good value. I haven't used the Sigma but it does get good reviews.
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you want good photographs of you children then the Oly 45mm will do a great job and can be had for a reasonable amount of money, the 20mm Panasonic is a good option but it is the slowest to focus however, the Panasonic 14mm focuses quickly if you want a good low cost wide angle. The Sigma 30mm is a great little lens but is only an f2.8, great if you can live with it. A great 3 prime set up would be the 14/20/45, there are other more expensive options the PL 25 1.4 and the Olympus 25 1.7 but I would expect the price of the later to come down at some point, with children and wanting good photographs of them I would buy in order 45 then one of the normals then the wide given I saw no bargains on the way.
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    You've got most of the focal lengths covered, so I would add a faster "normal" prime lens to your kit. This will allow you to shoot indoors more easily, where the light is dimmer. The two I have are the Olympus 17/1.8, which is very small and light (MSRP $500) and the Panasonic 25/1.4 (MSRP $530). The new Olympus 25/1.8 has an MSRP of $400. You can probably find the first two used at a discount.

To to see which FL you prefer, set your zoom at each of those sizes (17mm and 25mm) and shoot a bit without moving it. A piece of tape on the zoom ring might be helpful.