Another "which camera" thread! Upgrade for my EPL5.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
No you're not going to get a leap in ISO with another 16mp body. You will get a little boost with a 20mp body. You'd also get an AF boast with the E-M1.1, E-M1.2, or E-M5.3.

And I wouldn't recommend any of them for you unless you're looking to REALLY take multiple steps up. They can be overly complicated otherwise. For example on the E-M1.2 you can change the 1/2 function lever on the back of the camera to act as the on/off switch.

But honestly the E-M10.3 is what I would recommend. Latest processor, no AA filter, great IBIS, a good AF upgrade. Depending on what you're shooting IBIS might let you use a lower shutter speed, helping keep you ISO down. You don't really have IBIS in your E-PL5. Yes since it's in body image stabilization the E-PL5 technically does, but it's not even close. Yes there are many things that Olympus simplified in the E-M10.3 from what was in the E-M10.2. But you're coming from the E-PL5 and not an OMD. It's still a notable step up in features.

Here's nice youtube review of the E-M10.3 that also compares some of differences and simplifications.

And here's another (not a video), note number 13 Extra features, it specifically details some of the limitation:
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/olympus-vs-olympus/omd-em10-ii-vs-em10-iii/#Extra-features

Last edited:

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
I'd say go play with a E-M10iii because it has the newer processer and seems quicker to focus. I think the E-M10 line will fit your intended use fine and you will also find the 5-way IBIS and viewfinder will improve image sharpness. The form factor will be the only con. I love the rangefinder style of the Pen lite line as well, but you don't have that many options so compromises will probably be needed.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
@demiro a few of the things I mentioned (no AA, newer processor, another step up on the AF, etc over the E-M10.2).

I understand many things were "simplified" (many would say dumbed down). But it also makes several of them easier to play with and not get in the way of those family events and vacations. The reviews I linked give some good information and do go into the limitations. But in the end its still a big step from the E-PL5, only @finja can decide if its enough.

If it's not I'd go for an E-M5.2 before the E-M10.2 personally.

I really considered getting a 10.3 Monday as a simple second body. But then a Pen F popped up on the refurb list and...

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
While I cannot help with a comparison against the EPL5, and there's a preference amongst many people for an M10.2 over an M10.3, I chose the M10.3 (newer processor and maybe slightly faster focus, metering and Ibis, I am unaware of differences in AA) and have been extremely happy with it. Really the only upgrade I would pay money for is weather sealing which would require an M5. The "AP" approach to electronic shutter and AEB are not my preference, but I can make them work. In every other way I have been very happy coming from Canon DSLR, including focus speed, evf, etc.

So my advice is to not be scared off of the M10.3, but rather decide if the differences matter to you and then look at price. I wanted the kit EZ zoom also, and got the kit on a good sale. The electronic zoom is every bit as annoying as everyone says, but it is tiny for travel and good enough for IQ for my use.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
@mfturner, the AA is the anti-aliasing filter. They were used to correct things like moiré at the cost of some image detail.

@demiro, another example of complexity that I can use but others might not. On the Pen F I can change the Exposure Comp to control Flash Comp so that in S or A the front and rear dials will work just like they do on my E-M1.2. Convenient for me, but maybe not others.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
My wording was poor, I just meant that when I bought the camera I didn't think to compare the AA filter in the 10.2 to the lack of one in the 10.3. Generally I'm happy without one, it's rare that I have aliasing problems.

Jmcarp

New to Mu-43
From all the replies so far, it's obvious is that the consensus recommendation is for either the EM10ii or EM5ii. IMO, either would be quite adequate for your particular needs, although I would prefer the 5ii myself because of the weatherproofing. But if you don't have weatherproof lenses, that's a moot point. I've had overall good luck with used gear from KEH here in the US and refurbished gear directly from GetOlympus.com. I'd hang on to the PL5 as a backup if you can, particularly if you have the pancake version of the 14-42 kit lens. My PL7 with that lens (and the LC-37C automatic lens cap) is my ultralight go-to kit for family get-togethers and the like.

Also, for post-processing, there are several amazingly capable free apps, but I'd suggest Adobe Photoshop Elements. It will do everything you need and more for your style of photography, and it costs less than $100. Unlike Lightroom and the full version of Photoshop, once you buy it, it's yours -- no monthly or annual subscription fees (at least for now).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom