1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another "Well done to Olympus warranty and repair" Thread

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luckypenguin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. After coming back home from overseas recently I had a few issues with my (18 month old) E-M5 that I wanted to have looked at under the 2 year factory warranty period.

The issues were:

- Crack originating from the central screw of the rear screen frame (minor issue but I thought I'd include it in the list)
    - Strange object/reflection/artefact inside the viewfinder assembly that showed up as a little colourful squiggle in the lower left corner
    - IS unit issue that would occasionally cause the camera to rotate the sensor prior to shutter release resulting in crooked images

Now I have to start off with one small observation: because of the limited number of repair facilities in Australia I had to post the camera to them. This is not a problem in itself but Olympus Australia does not set up ticket numbers for warranty claims in advance. You simply send the camera to them with a copy of the receipt and a brief description of the problem and then wait.

Well, today I unexpectedly received my camera in the mail and seemingly back in full working order. The documentation that accompanied the camera showed the following work list

1. Replace frame of rear screen
    2. Replace viewfinder
    3. Replace sensor/IS assembly!
    4. Recalibrate
    5. Update firmware
    6. Clean and test

All this and my tracking information showed that they only received the camera on Monday the 21st and I had it back again on Thursday the 24th. It seems a bit odd that there was not a single bit of dialogue in the whole process but I'm not complaining when I've got my camera back fighting fit in no time at all despite having undergone major heart and lung transplant surgery. Now the fact that I had those issues on an 18 month old, 10k shutter releases camera isn't entirely heartening but at least I know that the warranty service is very good.

:2thumbs: Olympus Australia!

• Like Like x 1
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I had these problems as well:
    - Crack originating from the central screw of the rear screen frame (minor issue but I thought I'd include it in the list)
    - IS unit issue that would occasionally cause the camera to rotate the sensor prior to shutter release resulting in crooked images

Sent mine to Olympus Finland a couple of weeks ago (btw. Olympus paid the postage). It took a few days for it to get there and then they sent it to Germany to actually be repaired. I used this page to follow the progress: https://consumer-service.olympus-europa.com/External/Default.aspx. The web page now says the camera is on its way back home and is in Hamburg at the moment. So I'll probably get it back next week just before my trip to the lovely city of Prague (Czech Republic)... :thumbup:

If the issues are fixed then I can say that Oly has been really good at these repairs. Last time they gave me a brand new E-M5 when the sensor broke (only after 5-6 months after buying). :smile:

3. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I had great success when dealing with the US repair center, with my TG camera. Much faster than I ever did with Nikon. Was very impressed.

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Good to know. Sent my 17mm 1,8 lens to Moscow October the 3rd. As of today the service center web-site still says that "the lens is under repair". Three weeks without my 17mm lens. Missed so many nice shots this Fall.

5. Interesting to hear that someone else had the exact same IS unit issue as mine. At first I wondered if I was doing something wrong like mashing the shutter button too hard, but I've never had any problem like that before on any other camera and it didn't happen when the IS was turned off so the finger of blame was pointed very quickly at the IS unit.

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Could you elaborate what you mean by the IS rotation issue? I've notice sometimes in the past with my EM5, I will try and frame my picture and line up the horizon, but when I half press the shutter and IBIS engages, the sensor will move and I need to realign my horizon/framing. I thought this was just normal quirky behaviour from the EM5... never really gave it too much thought until now.

7. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Here's the thread that was started by Teemu two months ago. There were also videos in that thread so you could see if the EM5 weird IS behaviour is similar to yours.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=51184

They called it shift effect and there were three mu-43 members who reported and experienced that IS fail system before.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Although our cameras were essentially diagnosed with the same fault in the IS unit, mine manifested itself slightly differently to that shown in Teemu's video that was linked in the post above. I will generally focus first and then hold the shutter half-pressed while I get my framing right. When I went to take the shot, in that instant between fully depressing the shutter button and the shutter opening the camera would (and I'm just guessing here) sense some kind of rotational movement that wasn't actually happening and rotate the sensor prior to the opening of the shutter, meaning that the composition that I had carefully lined up came out crooked by a degree or two anyway. I was also starting to get the impression that it was becoming harder for me to do those 1/3 or 1/2 second exposures and get a sharp image more often than not.

When I sent the camera away to Olympus I described the issue like this

"3. There seems to be an issue with the sensor stabilisation mechanism that sometimes causes it to rotate the sensor in the instant prior to shutter release and result in a slightly crooked image that needs to be straightened later on the computer. The only times that I have had this problem occur is when the IS is turned on. I have not had the same problem happen when the IS is set to off. The stabilisation system itself seems to work well enough and even the affected image are still sharp, just crooked."

Olympus had my camera in their workshop for no more than two days, and somewhere between my explanation and whatever they did to check or diagnose the problem they just changed the whole sensor and stabilisation unit, no questions asked. I'm wondering if this has been flagged as a known issue in their repair centres and that any camera presented that displays a similar issue goes straight into surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I've had a look at videos in the other thread. My IBIS does behave similarly, though it is much more mild of a movement... I'm not sure I would consider it a defect. My issues is as I have described earlier; I'd have everything framed and aligned properly, I would half press my shutter button and occasionally I would hear a light 'clunk' sound and the sensor would shift quite a bit.

I also have the cracks running from the screws. I might wait until it's close to the end of the warranty period and send it in for an assessment and sensor clean.

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I had an FL600R which stopped working after fewer than 50 shots.
    I sent it to the US service center for repair (without a copy of the invoice) and they sent me a (new) refurbished unit in exchange within 10 days.
    I'm pretty happy with the service, but not so with the QC of the original flash...
    Rudy

11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Nic, how's life after the repair? My fix lasted a day and the IBIS is acting weird again! Now the image doesn't shift to right anymore but it (still) rotates clockwise (or was it anti-clockwise...?). The repair has a 6 month warranty so I guess I'll send it back someday.

12. Hmm, that's no good. I only got a chance to give my E-M5 a good run this weekend and I can say so far that it is not showing the same sensor/IS fault that I sent it in for, touch wood.