1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another wedding thread..

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by danska, Oct 16, 2012.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'd like to share a bit of my experience after shooting at my first wedding this past weekend.

My gf's sister got married in Las Vegas, and the whole family came to attend. I got a ton of photos that were really fun beforehand also as we had a big combined bachelor party two nights prior to the wedding.

The whole thing was an eye-opening experience as I had no idea what to expect, and I've only been taking pictures with a more serious intent (and good camera) for five months. All in all it went well. There was no shooting allowed inside the chapel because the MGM Grand has in-house photographers for that.

My main struggle was that we had a second person taking shots and often times people were looking at her for a second, back at me, both ways, etc.. The groom isn't a big picture fan so I tried to get things done quickly and keep him happy.

I used the EM-5 and GX1 with the 12-35, Oly 45mm, 60mm, 75mm. If I could re-do it, I would take the 12-35, 35-100, and the 75mm or the upcoming Panasonic 42.5 f/1.2. I generally prefer primes but the whole zooming with your feet motto didn't work very well here. I was limited by space everywhere I went and had to work with angles that weren't ideal for framing when I was using primes.

Comments and critique gladly welcome. Keep in mind I didn't add many pre-shoot photos and I didn't get paid :wink:.

8095011667_9425b88915_b.
    Getting ready for a shoot by danska8, on Flickr

8095016249_5de662809b_b.
    Bride in the mirror by danska8, on Flickr

8095016784_7377525fb9_b.
    The kiss by danska8, on Flickr

8095017814_1ff70b29e2_b.
    This will lighten the mood! by danska8, on Flickr

8091658533_58f4c30f03_b.
    Congrats! by danska8, on Flickr

Laughing by the pool by danska8, on Flickr

8091657881_3e508af55e_b.
    Rings and Things by danska8, on Flickr

8095015749_869bf818e3_b.
    Elevator ride by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I think you captured some great moments!

• Like Like x 1
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You did an awesome job! Definitely a natural.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Good stuff, a very Vegas selfie that first shot :)
    I like the color treatment in #4 and #5....it's a good look.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed on both counts! I'll have to take your word for it on the groom not being a fan of photos because you surely can't tell from the shots you've posted here :smile:

There's something to be said for a natural talent/eye for photography (though I hasten to add I do believe anyone can learn it). I was surprised to discover that out of the handful of people whose photographs I consistently admire on this forum, several of them had only been shooting a comparatively short while - in many cases about the same length of time I've been seriously pursuing photography, if not less.

I always look forward to your stuff Joe, and I expect it'll only get better with time & experience :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks a lot Joe! I had to throw on the selfie because I also thought it was very Vegas :biggrin:. I thought the color scheme worked pretty well for that group of photos, appreciate the input.

Thanks very much Jay! Greatly appreciated. I hope I can continue to improve as time goes on too, just need to keep a level head and open eyes. The B&G were very happy with my photos, much more so than the other photographer with a 5dII, which I find pretty funny.

7. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    beautiful moments. My favourites are the 3rd and 4th photos - stunning :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, beautiful set! You did an excellent job with these. I assume the first shot is a self portrait in a mirror? If so, you might want to use a wrist strap or keep the strap around your neck when one-handing an expensive camera. Really hate to see expensive gear hit the floor! :cool:

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks very much! Yep it's a self-portrait. If you look close you can see the strap is tied around my other hand :wink:.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Good thing you had a nice animated couple. Especially the bride, what a ball of fire for the camera.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Ahhh . . . Yep, I do see it now. :thumbup: :biggrin:

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Good job. The bride has wonderful facial expressions, especially the one in that first shot. Nice self-portrait, BTW. You cut a stylish Vegas figure.

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    All I will say is that I'd be very happy if I received these pictures. Very pro looking! You are good. You are very good.

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah that is a great way to describe her personality! We're putting together a big album of them over trip for them.

Normally I use a gordy's wrist strap on my camera, but the EM-5 lived on that strap for the four days I was there. It was handy also for the wedding because I had to cameras slung.

15. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

For the last five years I have tutored undergraduate students of photography at university and also taught workshops and courses for a wide variety of people.

I think photographers fall into two camps according to which route they took into photography. There are the artists who study photography as an arts subject with a view to producing images that carry a message and there are the technicians who like playing with their toys and producing technically competent images with them.

The artists benefit from a greater understanding of the science behind imaging and are keen to learn enough of it to inform and enhance their art. The technicians are always keen to learn even more about the science but generally find it difficult to grasp artistic concepts.

This shows in the way the two groups approach certain topics. For example, the artists see depth of field as a creative tool whereas the technicians obsess about equations. Composition comes naturally to the artists who are able to use it to convey a message to the viewer whereas the technicians tend to follow a formula such as the rule of thirds or triangles.

My own background is that of someone who studied photography to Masters degree level and is currently working towards a PhD. However, I am more of a technician than an artist. I have learnt a lot about the artistic approach from my fellow students and continue to learn.

I think the most important thing an artist can learn is about lighting in its many forms, ambient and superimposed.

The most important thing a technician can learn is to feel a composition with one's emotions rather than arrange it methodically to an arbitrarily superimposed grid. However, this does not come naturally because it requires a completely different mindset to the technician's usual approach.

Of course there are some photographers who have complete command of both the technical and artistic aspects of photography but they are very rare. I certainly haven't met many, but those I have met are remarkably successful at what they do and seem to make a good living from it.