Another viewfinder for GF1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by maxpiz, Jan 10, 2010.

1. maxpiz

maxpiz Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 5, 2010
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that it works well. There is a user report here.

3. maxpiz

Jan 5, 2010
    Thank you! This is great news!
    Anyone could try it?

4. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sean Reid (www.reidreviews.com) also tested the Voigtlander 40mm viewfinder on the GF1 and found it to work well. The Voigtlander is a 3:2 aspect ratio viewfinder, so it works best when the GF1 is set to 3:2, but you could get used to working with it in 4:3.

Another option for 40mm OVF would be the Ricoh GV-2, which looks to be smaller and has the 4:3 framelines. Might be better if you primarily work in 4:3.

5. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    Voigtlander 40 and Eye Glasses

I bought the Voigtlander 40mm finder because I wanted to have the option of framing photos in an optical viewfinder. Sometimes just seeing a potential photo in a different way can lead to a different result.

The Voigtlander finder works well with the GF1. Just set the focus to the central area and it's pretty easy to estimate in the viewfinder where that is. You can also hear when the lens' focus motor has finished doing its job.

But I don't use my finder anymore. I found it uncomfortable to use in conjunction with my eye glasses. Not only that, but my eye is slightly too far from the finder when I wear my glasses (all the time) causing the black frame to creep into the area within the bright lines. So it's back to the electronic finder for me. But only when a high resolution one is available for a successor model of the GF1.

6. maxpiz

Jan 5, 2010
    How much does it cost to read the reviews of Reid? With everything that is on the web, who pays for a review?
    I prefer to shoot in 3:2 and rarely use the 4:3 format.
    Thank you for your answer!:smile:

7. maxpiz

Jan 5, 2010
    I do not use glasses, for now, and then I would not have problems with the Voigtlander viewfinder.
    But the viewfinder Lumix works so badly?

8. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sean Reid charges $32.95 per year for access to his reviews. Agreed that, these days, this is an unusual business model, but it works for him. I subscribe because his essays and articles are very high quality. It's worth the price to me.

If you prefer to shoot 3:2 and want an OVF versus and EVF, it sounds like the Voigtlander will work well for you.

9. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    Lumix EVF

I haven't tried the Lumix GF1 EVF. But I'm used to the quality of the viewfinders in my previous G1 and GH1, so any EVF with lesser resolution doesn't seem worth the 180 Euros that Panasonic is asking for the LVF1. Besides I quite like using the external screen to frame my compositions. Also, if I'm taking photos of people, using the LCD allows me to look directly at my subject over the top of the camera.

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I got it and it works fine for me. I like to frame with the camera up to me eye and that's why I like it. It's not the highest resolution but that's a non-issue for me as I just want to use it as a framing / ergonomic device. And you can always switch to the LCD screen.

11. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hmmm... the GV-2 has a 28mm (35mm equivalent) FOV. Hardly suitable to work with the 20mm...