Another thread about which lens to get

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by je83, Apr 26, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    Not really, but I have looked at a lot of 14-42 vs 14-45 vs 14-140 threads which have given me a lot of info but none have helped me with my decision as of yet to add to my 14 2.5 kitted with the gf3 i picked up last week.

Anyway, I'll be making it soon enough but when I do I'll probably be getting a used one which is really what I want to ask about.
    I have experience going back to my film shooting days in picking out used lenses, but it's a lot easier checking glass and aperture blades on a EF20 2.8 or 28-50 AI-s than it is on these tiny m4/3 lenses. I had a chance to check two lenses the other day, and I had a really hard time seeing inside the lens and anything beyond the front and rear elements. I guess that's mostly due to the smalls size of these lenses as well as my fading eyesight and the fact that these shops are indoors will relatively low lighting.
    Checking lens elements, aperture blades and contacts is one thing but what about things like electronics, IS and AF on these things, are they reliable, or are any of them prone to issues I should know about beforehand?

With checking IS on EF lenses for instance, I can usually hear a whirring noise when it's engaged, and when zoomed out I can see a noticeably less shaky image on the viewfinder. I don't know if it's the same way to test on the panasonic system.

Any other things I should know about when testing a used m4/3 lens and things to look out for would be appreciated.
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I have not read anything or experienced chronic problems with any m4/3 native lens except the 45-175pz and 14-42pz double blurring between 1/60-1/200 sec because of "shutter shock" on panasonic bodies. This is prevalent but not all of these lens exhibit this. The panasonic 20mm 1.7 is widely considered the slowest focusing of the bunch. Other than that, most of these lens are relatively new and everyone I bought used ( a lot ) was working properly in every way.
  3. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I did think that being smaller, they would be a bit more fragile than the larger, mostly metallic lenses used in full frame cameras, but that doesn't seem to be the case. One thing I did notice with the two lenses I checked was the amount of dust on the surface of the front and rear elements after removing the front and rear caps. I'm hoping that isn't a normal thing for these lenses to accumulate lots of dust on the insides over time, maybe an indication of the shops poor handling of their inventory.

Btw, how do these 2nd hand prices compare to your local prices?

14-42 100usd

14-45 180usd

14-140 435-486usd