1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another take on Street photography :-)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by kevinparis, May 27, 2014.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 19
  2. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    In fact there's a lot of people doing this kinds of photography and it's one that I like. Great shots you got there!

• Like Like x 1
  3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Hi Kevin,

very nice pictures, indeed!!

And they thrill me because recently I bought a book by "Harald Mante" (he is old school and kind of photo-guru in Germany). And your pictures fit perfectly to his style. Wish I could do this well ...

He has a book "Photography Unplugged" which is very impressing.

Here is a link to another book by him, but where one can look inside:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Photograph-Composition-Color-Design/dp/1937538060/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

Christof

• Like Like x 1
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Its like painting but faster and no oil:) i like

• Like Like x 1
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have been watching a couple of videos on street photography/composition by Adam Marelli (B&H lectures). What he essentially says is that you find an awesome backdrop (like in Kevin's No.3) and wait there until something or someone viable appears in the pgoto.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's exactly the approach (Marelli) that appeals to me. But I don't get enough 'stand still' time to lounge around a likely spot waiting for the subject material to accommodate me. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks guys for the thanks

I had spent most of the weekend shooting family events, and this was an exercise in clearing my brain and looking at different subject matter. I come from a graphic design background, so I suppose I do tend to 'see' things in graphic terms.

Sometimes the absence of people adds something to an image such as the lampost one.... but to be honest it was damn hot and I was dying for a pee when I took that one!!!

I will check out Mante and Marelli, thanks for the pointers

cheers

K

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    BTW here are two lectures from Adam Marelli. They are both about composition which is a rare subject to get much decent input on (unless you want to learn about the rule of thirds, leading lines for the millionth time.) I learnt more from these two lectures than pretty much anything I have read. (It is possible that if you went to art school you may already know this stuff - possibly, Kevin too, with his background in design.) Please dont be put off by either the title or the first 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHfT7lYqCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwk3YFknyNA

• Like Like x 2
  9. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks Kevin.

It's a rare day indeed when I manage to find shadows that well defined here in Scotland. Mostly what I have to deal with is a grey mush which flattens everything.

But then, you already know that! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I sometimes think it's a rare day when you find well defined shadows in photos on internet forums, as so many people seem obsessed with how much dynamic range their camera has, and always feel the need to "pull up" the shadows...

(Tongue only slightly in cheek)

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  11. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Love the pictures by the way Kevin, especially no. 3

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1