Another singing the praises - Pany 7-14mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, May 4, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Some may have seen my thread singing the praises of the Zuiko 9-18mm lens. This is another "praises" thread, except for the 7-14, a lens I have nothing but the highest regard for.

I've had the 7-14 Pany long before getting the 9-18 and I must say the 7-14 is one of my absolute favorite lenses. I like to use the ultra wide angle not only for capturing subjects that require an ultra wide angle of view, but also to capture subjects in ways that add drama to the imagery. The 7-14 is a superb optic which gives me all that I love in this regard.

I'm in the 7th month of a 9 month tour of the USA. As a recently retired commercial/portrait photographer, I'm shooting just for fun, as a tourist, these days and using my m4/3 system.

Here are a few of my "tourist" images that i've captured along the way during this trip, using the 7-14. Most of these images were shot at 7mm or close to it, though a few were at somewhat longer settings.

I love the powerful drama such a lens can bring to an image. Hope you might enjoy some of these.

Lands end, San Francisco
    PB270603.

Mission Dolores, San Francisco
    PB270573.

Views of the Pacific from my motorhome windshield
    PB260566.

PB250552-Edit-Edit.

Palace of Fine Arts
    PB250545-Edit.

PB250538-Edit.

PB250541-Edit.

Confederate officer's tent - as it would have been during the civil war. On the grounds of Oak Alley Plantation, Louisiana.
    P3280719.

Docent explaining a map of the US as it was at the time of the Plantation Days. Taken at Houmas House Plantation, Louisiana.
    P3230643.

Houmas House Plantation
    P3230636.

P3230629.

Oak Alley Plantation
    P3280711.

Cemetery near Poche Plantation, Louisiana
    P3220610.

A Catholic Church in Lafayette, Louisiana
    P3170584.

P3170558.

P3170583.

Service inside the church
    P3170569.

Country doctors office as it would have been in mid to late 1800's. Acadian Village, Louisiana.
    P3170550.

Riverwalk, San Antonio, TX
    P3070495.

P3070503.

Inside "the Pink Store" in Palomas, Mexico
    P1280470.

Inside "the Pink Store" in Palomas, Mexico
    P1280408.

Lowell, AZ
    P1150378.

P1020635.

Shady Dell, Bisbee, AZ
    P1150359.

P1150366.

P1150349.

P1150345.

P1150341.

Bisbee, AZ
    P1150317.

Biloxi, MS
    P1020979.

• Like Like x 34
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Wow. That was a comprehensive, exhaustive, and impressive set! Love how you use it outside of the traditional thought that something that wide is just for landscapes. It really creates a lot of visual grandeur in the churches, and perspective in the store shots. The cars and RVs look great too with that slightly stretched look from the lens.

The 7-14 is a fantastic lens. It is the lens I find myself always drawn to in unusual situations just to see what things would look like from that perspective. It's probably on my camera as much as the P20...

My only gripes with the lens (other than price at full retail) is the susceptibility to flare and inability to take any kind of filters. To my the latter is a minor point since I don't own any, but I can see the usefulness. Still, i wouldn't trade a 7-14 for a 9-18 just to use filters, but that's just me. The special something you get from the extra wideness is completely worth the sacrifice to me.

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    These are fantastic Don. (I have this lens, but not that sort of scenery to hand !!)

4. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    For the love of God Don, If you are still roaming around the East coast somewhere, PLEASE stop by and take me with you! :) Every time you post I am able to take a break from my rat race and go on a small vacation. Great shots, Great lens, Great eye.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Don, those are some wonderful photos!! You are doing magic with those super wides! And I am so jealous of your little tour (and retirement)! Well done!

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    reminds (/reinforces) me about how good the 7-14 is... great set.

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    everything, blue, LVL, Armaiums, xdayv.... thank you guys for your kind remarks.

I know some folks don't recognize the applications for a super wide, but I think in most cases they haven't worked with one to realize how versatile a superwide can be.

Interestingly, there are few situations where an ultrawide cannot be used to good effect... everything from close-ups to mid distance to wide sweeping architecture and landscape. Sometimes I correct the perspective distortion on architecture, but most times with other subjects, I enjoy the dramatic result that comes from the distortion.

Anyway, I hope the new-to-superwide folks can get some ideas for using these wonderful lenses. I consider the 7-14 Pany (and to a somewhat lesser degree the 9-18) an absolutely essential tool in my lens kit.

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Don, thank you for provide the wonderful series of diverse shoots. That may be the next lens to acquire. What other lenses did you fine yourself using most on your trip?

9. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I brought my most of m4/3 kit on the trip (GH2, G3, E-PL3, 12, 14, 20, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 7-14, 9-18, 14-45, 14-140, Canon FD 50/1.4). As I'm just being a tourist most days going on tours and such, I don't want to be burdoned down with a bunch of gear and I don't want to be swapping lenses around. So most days, I keep it really simple and just head out with G3 w/14-45 and E-PL3 w/7-14 or 9-18, and an LX5. Between the 7-14 and the 14-45, I've got a huge range of focal length coverage and am quite content. It's not often at all that I feel the need for anything longer than the 14-45 gives me. However, if I think I may want to do any wildlife images, the combination of 7-14 on one body and 14-140 on the other provides a staggering range of 7mm-140mm (35mm equivalent FOV of 14mm to 280mm).

If I'm going to do portraiture, the 45/1.8 is essential. If I'm going to do low-light situations, the 12/2, 20/1.7, and 25/1.4 are very helpful.

Obviously, each of these lenses offers a unique and desireable capability and there's a place for them all in one situation or another. But for traveling light and simply, the 7-14 (or 9-18) and the 14-45 (or 14-42, 14-140) provide a fantastic range of wonderful imaging capability.

Between

• Like Like x 4
  10. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    great series and a great crossection of Americana, love that Oak Alley Plantation one

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Would love to see more photos from the trip Don! I like that Oak Alley photo as well. Is that the Riverwalk in San Antonio? Was this a driving tour? Sounds like an awesome experience!

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh man.... soooo many photos, I could bog down the mu-43 servers! :eek:

Yes, it's a 9 month driving tour of the USA. While on the road, we're living in our 44' motorhome, towing and using the Chevy Avalanche as a run about.

P4080853.

Oak Alley Plantation is mind boggling... the live oaks are about 200 years old. It is unknown today who planted them, but when the trees were about 60 years old, the plantation builder came along, bought the land, and decided this would be a good spot to build the plantation mansion as a gift to his wife. The great Mississippi River was right behind me when I made this image. Here's an image of it with the Pany 14-45:

P1020930.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Love it Don! What you are doing (or did already) is what my folks dream about doing! And me too!

14. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Wow, some good shots there Don...as an aside, I would love to see some internal shots of that fantastic motorhome!! Do you need the equivalent of a UK LGV license to drive that?
    Thanks
    JohnyT

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    No special license required, but driving one of these is best done by those with reasonably good driving skills!

It is a pretty cool rig - we are very blessed indeed. Here are a couple of images:

P1030159.

My wife tends to be on the sofa with her Mac and I tend to sit in one of the recliners with my Mac. There's a 1/2 bath behind the TV & fireplace. King bed upgrade bedroom behind that. Dual vanity- full bath and closet in the rear. Full wall slideout on the road side and two smaller slideouts on the curb side.

P1030120.

P1020649.

Coach has DirecTV HighDef satellite dish on the roof, 3 TVs (1-46" upgrade Sony over the fireplace, 1-40" Sharp for outside viewing, and 1- 32" upgrade Sony in the bedroom), full residential fridge, stacked washer & dryer in cabinet beside the fridge, 10,000 watt diesel generator, 7,000 watt inverter, 3 rooftop AC/heat pumps, two gas furnaces, 425 hp Cummins diesel engine w/6 speed Allison transmission, 3 exterior cameras for viewing while driving or parked, yada, yada, yada.

P1020313.

P1020311.

7 months into our 9 month tour and we don't miss being at home at all!

Here's the floorplan of the rig: (we replaced the 75" sofa with two recliners and upgraded two of the TV's and queen to king bed.)
    43DFTFloorplan.

The outdoor TV is in the panel below the first double paned window on the curbside.

P1020831.

P1030418.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    That is fantastic......would sell my house and live in that permanently! lol
    Thanks for the pictires.
    JohnyT

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Awesome RV!!!

How was "the Quick and the Dead"? Leonardo diCaprio's finest moment!

18. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Love the shots and the RV. You do great work. I wish I had the time and money to take a trip like that. The shot looking down into the church is my favorite. I love my 7-14 too. Seems like I always have it on 7mm, which I never would have expected.

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Armanius... i love the Quick & the Dead.... never tire of it! :)

joe... thank you. I'm with you, man the 7-14 is stunning. Sometimes I like to just put that one lens on a body and head out... doing all of my shooting with it... of course, I tend to move closer and closer to my subjects. ;-)

Here's a shot with it, at 7mm, from a few minutes ago... we're in a gorgeous campground near Dayton, OH.

P5051214.

• Like Like x 1
  20. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Fantastic RV there. You've got better spec for the fixtures and fittings than in my house. In fact it's probably bigger than my house (lol).

Thanks for all the images, very interesting following your tour.