Another Silly Idea

Real Name
Keith
Some four thirds lenses have internal rectangular baffles. I think I've seen that some micro four thirds do as well.

So the "image circle" may not be round for all lenses; and lenses may not be designed or tested for anomalies outside the regular image area.

But multi-aspect / square / hex / circle sensor would be cool.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
It reminds me of when I suggested (at work) that we should have portrait shaped monitors
I once had a curious monitor (I think it was called a "Radius") that rotated between the two orientations! As I recall, the software to switch orientations was problematic, and with some update of Mac OS, the monitor became permanently one way or the other.

Real Name
Richard
I love square. It should be about 15.2×15.2 mm to fit the circle of MFT lenses (and 4000×4000 px would be about the right amount). But even though I enjoyed shooting 6×6 TLR, I'd prefer E-PL style over TLR nowdays. For convenience. Or PEN-F style, but with tilting screen.
Just ask nicely for a firmware update.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anyone with anti-reasons ??
No an anti-reason, just a slight drawback. If you did want to crop it to something like 4:3 format, you would end up with a slightly smaller photo than you would get with a native 4:3 ratio sensor.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
While we're on the subject, my silly idea is a square sensor,
i.e. 18mm x 18mm (nominal) instead of the existing 18mm x 13mm (nominal).
That way if you want portrait format just take a square picture and crop it later. I would save all sorts of gymnastics turning the camera on its side, dislocating your wrist in the process.
It would avoid that cumbersome E-1X.
The lenses would still cover the whole square.
Years ago, 2 1/4 " square format was the norm.
For those who think they need a rectangular mask in order to compose a rectangular picture, then just have a switchable electronic mask in the viewfinder.
In theory it might add 5mm (18-13) to the height of the camera, but so what.
Anyone with anti-reasons ??
Not video friendly in a videocentric era.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The problem is that M4/3 cameras are all made to appeal to the greatest audience possible, none of them (with the singular exception of the GH5S) are truly specialized. Which is a real bummer, in my opinion, and says that Panasonic and Olympus have never been quite confident enough in the format to get weird with it.

Real Name
Keith
Olympus Air A01 and the Panasonic GM1 were both pretty extreme.

Throwing the resources for a new camera with specialized features (i.e. new sensor) with a limited market is really tough in the era of declining camera sales.

(And you couldn't just use an APS-C sensor. You'd need around 17.3 x 17.3, and the APS-C sensors are 23.6 x 15.7mm. And going full frame would just be absurd.)

At least a square sensor would only be 300mm^2, and an APS-C is 380. So, excluding the one-time engineering costs, it wouldn't be crazy expensive to fabricate.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
(And you couldn't just use an APS-C sensor. You'd need around 17.3 x 17.3, and the APS-C sensors are 23.6 x 15.7mm. And going full frame would just be absurd.)
If you omit portrait orientation, 18.7×15.2 should be enough for 16:9 to 1:1 range. And so APS-C sensor usable. :biggrin:

WT21

Super Moderator
I like to shoot square format, so using the entire sensor space for that would be fantastic. I don't see the reason for constraining to 4:3 or 3:2 off the chip. Let people make that choice in-camera with a menu setting, if they want that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom