1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another Seattle Newbie - E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by scottychop, Aug 10, 2012.

1. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    Hello all,

Been an avid DSLR user for a few years and have a growing interest in the mft movement. I love shooting old manual glass and relish the thought of using lenses from all brands.

So far I have been unsuccessful in getting my hands on a camera however. I won one on ebay and the guy refunded me and canceled the order. I orded one on Amazon and the guy said, "oops" don't have it and refunded my order. Both in the span of two days. Now, I prudent man might say things like, "Maybe I should rethink this a bit..."

Just PM'd a member about an E-PL2 body. Third times a charm??

Scott in Seattle

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Welcome! Kenmore Camera has the GX1 body for $400 and a much better camera than th eEPL2

3. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    thanks tuanies,

I should save my pennies then? I am looking to start small and move up when need be. I'll take a look though I am not that keen on touch screens.. Adorama has the e-pl3 kit refurb for $400 and the 17mm kit for $500. Also thinking about those.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cameta.com has brand new body only E-PL2 bodies for $250. :smile:

5. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Depends. If you do a lot of low light shooting, save for the GX1. If you only plan on shooting with good lighting, the EPL2 will be fine. The EPM1 is also just as good with a tad faster auto focus but same sensor.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The whole Panasonic Olympus thing fills many pages here on mu-43. Suffice to say that they have pretty different approaches to camera design, UI and handling. If you aren't 100% committed to Olympus then it's not a bad idea to at least consider what Panasonic has to offer. There are some really capable Panasonic bodies that can be had for under $200 and Panasonic also offers some mini DSLR styled bodies (with built-in EVF) which would be a big advantage if what you want to do is shoot legacy glass.

That said, the E-PL2 is a terrific camera and can be found quite inexpensively both as a body only and in kit form.

7. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    I am not 100% committed as of yet. For super low light I will bring my Nikon DSLR with a fast prime/zoom. Not too worried about that aspect. The first two cameras I bid/bought on were Panasonics. I am having trouble getting the right kit/combo at the price I want to pay. I would like to start off with a prime and those seem to sell out fast. So, body first then prime. At the moment I can pick up the PL2 body and a 17mm for $340 out the door here on the board. That seems to be a pretty reasonable deal.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good deal. The other ones I'd look at are the Panasonic GF2 (body only or with the 14) and the E-PM1 with the kit lens. The Panasonic G2 gives you an EVF and articulating LCD and nice low use bodies are going for $200- $250 these days. When you consider the price of a used VF2 for the E-PL2 or E-PM1 that is a good deal.

Any of those would be a great staring point.

9. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Costco has the epl-2 with kit lens and 4gb card for $299.

Randy

10. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    What are your thoughts on in-body stabilization on the OLY's?? If I do want to go the legacy lens route with adapters it would be better no?

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Wow! I may as well give mine away to family member or friend.

12. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    Can I be your friend?? :biggrin:

13. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    After a few hours of reading pro's and con's about these little cameras, I am narrowing it down to money, size, and ability to shoot legacy lenses if I so choose. Actually I just won a Yashica for $5. :biggrin:

E-pl2 or Ep2 verses the GF1/2 (not 3). The larger G series cameras are exactly the same body size as my d90. No reason to have two cameras that do the same things. At least not yet!

On my way home from the bank today I stopped by the Old ladies consignment store to see if they had any camera stuff. I picked up TWO polarizing filters, one ND 8x filter, a UV, an Nikon BR-2 for macro, and a step down ring for one of my larger lenses all for ....$4. A good day on the photo front.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have an E-PL2 and the IBIS makes it ideal for using legacy glass. The lack of stabilization is the main reason I have three Olympus cameras and no Panasonic. Both companies make great cameras, but I love the IBIS. :biggrin:

15. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    IBIS

Thanks Revbob,

Curious what legacy lenses you like?