Another reason for small mirrorless vs DSLR.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cstevens, May 21, 2013.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi all.

I am currently in London staying at the Tower Bridge hotel.

Last nit I was out shooting street scenes and my last shots I decided to get some long exposures of Tower Bridge.

I spotted two other photographers with DSLR's setting up on St Katherine's dock outside my hotel so I shamelessly used their space to setup the OMD and the gorrilapod on the railings next to them and started shooting.

Within a minute the security guard from the dock came over and told the other two that they are unable to use tripods and the dock is private property.

Whilst they protested I carried on shooting happily. The guard left and the other photographers just looked at me bewildered....I said welcome to London and the daft no tripod rule lol.

When I left I walked past the guard and said good evening.....he just didn't notice the OMD and the gorrilapod attached.

I am so glad I left the DSLR home on this trip :)
  2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    hehe, nice story.

don't forget to post the shots.
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I do love taking photographs on Waterloo Bridge at dusk. There is no prohibition on tripods there, and, indeed, many (D)SLR users often use tripods there. I, however, find it much easier just to rest my E-P3 on one of the large flat railing tops along the side of the bridge for long exposure photographs, which avoids having to carry a tripod at all.
  4. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    What a dreadful jobsworth!
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Wow, size really does matter! :biggrin:
  6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Or (at least in in this case) lack thereof! :biggrin:
  7. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    lol, indeed :D
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Typical - there have been a fair few incidents of the "Jobsworth's" and occasionally even the Police challenging photographers who were obviously shooting openly.

It is crazy to think the difference between allowing photos or not should be down to the use of a tripod and the perceptions of security guards and their ability to apply common sense, I am not knocking them as often these guidelines come from someone in an office with too much time on thier hands and too little understanding of threat.

The only reason I could see for preventing use of a tripod would be in a busy pedestrian area where it could trip someone up who was less observant.

Still, it endorses the benefits of Mu43 in combination with a GorillaPod - must get myself one!
  9. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    +1 :)
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's not just tripods. Whilst waiting for my daughter in a very mundane municipal shopping centre ("mall") in Leamington Spa, I was taking some long exposure shots with my EPL-5 resting on the rail of the first floor balcony (with me holding it - no risk of falling cameras!). A job's worth security guard came over and told me to stop nice it's "private property". Pathetic - that's the only word...

Here's the shot I took anyhow :wink:

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Thanks for introducing me to this wonderful colloquialism! :drinks: What a useful term -- I've been surrounded by jobsworths all my life, but I've never had such a succinct name for them.