Another Place

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by angloasturian, Aug 22, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

This is a parallel set to the post in ‘Scenic, Architecture and Travel’ which are in colour. As the light was so incredible (and variable) I took black and white shots as well to accentuate the drama of the setting. For information on the place please see the other post.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Very dramatic images, great, thanks !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Love your series. Great B&W's.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

So interesting to see these after having just looked at your stunning color photos from the same exhibit "Another Place". These are so post apocalyptic or close to it, except for that one with the couple strolling...that one has hope in it.

Such a completely different feel. I appreciate both series, Colin. From a strictly personal point of view, I love the color ones. But I feel the weight of these in a different way.

What an interesting comparison and "exercise" for you do have chosen to do both. I'm thinking these are with the grainy art filter or did you do the effects yourself?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

P.S. Colin, do you know if the artist's site shows a photo of these sculptures when the tide is in? I haven't had a chance to look carefully, yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

BB. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the site doesn't have photos when the tide is in - I've been there and all but one statue was covered and you could only see his head! The whole of this coast is very flat and the tide comes in extremely fast - there are signs advising you not to get more than a couple of hundred metres from the promenade. A couple of years back 30+ people collecting mussels drowned when they were caught by the tide up at Morecombe (near Blackpool).
    Yes, taken with the 'Grainy B/W filter and cropped - no other retouching.
  7. BBW

Oh my gosh, that is terrible about those poor real people who drowned! I've heard about different places where the tides are like that - wow. :-(

On a lighter note, it must have been quite interesting to see that one sculptural fellow with just his head showing.
  8. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Great photos ! - as for the artist (Gormley), fun coincidence : I read an article only a few days ago about the completion of his similar project (100 copies of himself), this time in the Swiss Alps... very impressive shots as well. I just love land art in general.
    • Like Like x 1