Another picture of "Billy The Kid" found in junk shop for $2

• Thread starter Deleted member 20897
  • Start date

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I always wonder what the original photographer would think if somehow he could have known the photo would be worth that much 140 yrs later.

Last edited:

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I don't see why this should be worth more than a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Phocal

God
I don't see why this should be worth more than a couple hundred thousand dollars.

There are two photos of him known to exist and this is one of them. Also, villains always seem to fetch higher prices for some reason.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Yeah, I was in Fresno, California junk shops in 2010, I remember seeing that photo, it was right next to the Bugatti Royale that I picked up for $5. I only had a fiver, I had to prioritise. At least the Royale didn't have spots, and I needed wheels that day.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
There are two photos of him known to exist and this is one of them. Also, villains always seem to fetch higher prices for some reason.

I understand that it is rare. I don't understand why it is desirable. I'll bet if you ask 100 people who Billy the kid is or what he did, 90 of them can not give you a definitive answer....I know I can't. Several years back, someone found an acetate of the first Velvet Underground's album. There is only ONE of those.....it is a different version of an LP that many people cite as seminal.....influential, whatever you want to call it. I forget the exact price it sold for. But it was 5 digits......not 7.

That other photo of him that sold for $2.9M is MUCH cooler....if you want to collect rare photos of dead badasses. But a photo of (possibly) him playing croquet with (possibly) some of his henchman........ I think it's worthless, but as long as the insurance appraisers say it's worth that...... Just glad I'm not paying the insurance premium for it.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It really makes me want to sell my "Al Capone playing Tiddlywinks" and "John Gotti playing badminton" photos...

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
I can understand that one photo of Billy the Kid can be very valuable as the only one in existence but now that there are 2 photos, I would have thought this would devalue the first one as it is now not so rare.???

Latest threads

Top Bottom