Another picture of "Billy The Kid" found in junk shop for $2

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gryphon1911, Oct 14, 2015.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I always wonder what the original photographer would think if somehow he could have known the photo would be worth that much 140 yrs later.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't see why this should be worth more than a couple hundred thousand dollars.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    There are two photos of him known to exist and this is one of them. Also, villains always seem to fetch higher prices for some reason.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yeah, I was in Fresno, California junk shops in 2010, I remember seeing that photo, it was right next to the Bugatti Royale that I picked up for $5. I only had a fiver, I had to prioritise. At least the Royale didn't have spots, and I needed wheels that day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I understand that it is rare. I don't understand why it is desirable. I'll bet if you ask 100 people who Billy the kid is or what he did, 90 of them can not give you a definitive answer....I know I can't. Several years back, someone found an acetate of the first Velvet Underground's album. There is only ONE of those.....it is a different version of an LP that many people cite as seminal.....influential, whatever you want to call it. I forget the exact price it sold for. But it was 5 digits......not 7.

That other photo of him that sold for $2.9M is MUCH cooler....if you want to collect rare photos of dead badasses. But a photo of (possibly) him playing croquet with (possibly) some of his henchman........ I think it's worthless, but as long as the insurance appraisers say it's worth that...... Just glad I'm not paying the insurance premium for it.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It really makes me want to sell my "Al Capone playing Tiddlywinks" and "John Gotti playing badminton" photos...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    It seems if I read the article right that the mob selling the photo is the same mob valuing the photo ... what is claimed as its value may well not turn out to be actual sell price.

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I can understand that one photo of Billy the Kid can be very valuable as the only one in existence but now that there are 2 photos, I would have thought this would devalue the first one as it is now not so rare.???