1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another Paypal gripe

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by boatman37210, Mar 22, 2013.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    I'm in Thailand. Last year I placed 3 orders with Cameta. Two through Amazon and one through eBay. The first two orders I had shipped to an address in the states. The last item I bought through eBay and was mailed directly from Cameta to me in Thailand. All 3 were paid for with Paypal. All orders went smoothly.

At one time Paypal had my Thailand address as a confirmed address. Then at some point after the last order from Cameta, they removed the Thailand address. Tried to put it back and a message popped up saying shipping addresses have to be in the country where the Paypal account was established. If I wanted an item shipped to Thailand, I would have to establish a bank account in Thailand and use that account to process payments. Sent an email twice to Paypal asking why they made the change and no response.

I wanted to order another item from Cameta through eBay and so I sent an email directly to Cameta explaining the situation. Their response was that the shipping address specified on the eBay order had to match with Paypal. You would think with the business I've done with them already they would have all the verification and confirmation they need.

I could establish a bank account here, but it is not an easy process. Besides, I shouldn't have to (probably the route I will go at some point). Everything was working fine before. I could get friends to ship me the items, but I've gone that route too many times already.

Right now I am thoroughly disgusted with both Cameta and Paypal.

Anyone run into similar problems and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This seems like a reasonable enough requirement to me. I'm sure the idea behind it is to minimize fraud.

3. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I remember one order I made with my UK account managed to "lock in" my US address, I think because of the site I went through at the time. I can't add more addresses, for the reason stated- it's against Paypal policy, and maybe they cleaned up and removed mine too.

I got a US account now, which I needed for a forum sale anyhoo. Not really a reason to be disgusted with a payments company, they are just sticking to their well known policy. You got away with it for a while is all.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Paypal's permanently locked me out. No sense going into the gory details, but they're an extremely unpleasant company. Customer service is consistently ****ty -- no, worse than that. It's almost as if they go out of their way to create problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As a buyer paypal is the option of last resort.

As a seller ... never.

6. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Can't say my experience with PayPal has been pure and white - my loss was relatively small financially, but I felt blatantly robbed (had complete overwhelming evidence that I submitted to them, but it was pretty much ignored).

There are many people who've been stung a lot worse, and there's not much you can do. They are a bank of sorts who make their own rules. Best you can probably do is to stop using their service.

7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I don't think I've ever seen customer service worse than PP.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the heads up because I've not really had any purchases that were a problem & I've bought several (lots actually) items through ebay & have used paypal for other purchases too without any trouble. Anyhow, it's good to be pre-warned.

Another problem though, is all the scam emails trying to look like paypal.

9. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Boatman,

Another issue to consider in Thailand is theft from the national postage service. In some parts it is rampant. Many parcels addressed to foreign names and overseas orders to Thai nationals are subject to theft daily. I ordered a parcel from inside Thailand and it was stolen. 2 weeks of chasing and it finally was delivered after constant denials.

I have never ordered anything from outside of Thailand to be delivered via the national postal service. A more expensive option, but more certain is an independent international service such as FedEx or other similar type.

On the bank account issue, a foreigner can open accounts at a SCB, Kasikorn branches quite easily. I use SCB and find their banking services equivalent to western services in both functionality and security.