Another one who is starting to see the light !

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by stevewestern, Jan 5, 2014.

1. stevewestern

stevewestern New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2014
    After many years with a Canon 5d2, a bag full of heavy lenses and fewer photos being taken each year I have recently started to discover that there are such things as smaller yet still very capable cameras, and ones that might be taken out with me rather then left indoors as I can't make the effort much of the time...
    As a member of another forum over in the UK I started to find out a little, then found this place and now have recognised one or two familiar names which is always a good thing.

No doubt I shall be asking some old and obvious questions but already my interest is up and my wallet is hiding - so far the Olympus OMD EM1 is looking favourite, along with the 12-40 plus something longer - my Canon gear consists of a 17-40, 24-70 and 70-200. I will also need a flash of some sort to replace my Canon 580, and from a first play, a grip on the EM! will be high on my list.

First though I need to sell off my Canon stuff - anyone interested....?

• Like Like x 1
  2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Thats great that you see the light on the other side! welcome to the forum!
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You'll be looking for lens choices soon then....

I came from a 5dii with 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 (and a few others), but find in u43-land that I prefer primes to zooms. There are two main reasons - the size fits the cameras better; and the DOF at f2.8 and smaller apertures is often too deep to give good subject isolation. I'm no razor thin DOF fan either. Add to this that most of the primes are excellent in IQ and unlike many of the FF Canon primes, they work very well wide open.

So, I know the 12-40 is a stellar lens, but I'd be tempted to get a few primes first and see how you go.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    Welcome. I never had a DSLR with big heavy lenses. I doubt I'd ever have got into photography had m43 not existed!
  5. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Primes for m43 is where it's at, so to speak.

As Pdk already mentioned it's a size thing. With my 7.5 fisheye, 25 1.4, 45 1.8 and the kit 12-50 zoom and an EM5 the weight is less than just a 7D with 18-55. And it all fits in a Domke f8. Making a very compact kit. If I get my 75 1.8 at some point it would require a bigger bag to fit but otherwise it's still a lot of great glass for a less weight and less space.

To get the same zoom range as you had before you'll need the 7-14, 12-40, and 35-100. But being m43 you really want to use primes to get back the lost stop or so of high ISO and get back the DOF you lose going to m43. That said having more DOF for any aperture is great allows you to shoot with natural light without everything being OOF.

Personally I feel the zooms for m43 right now are just starting to catch up with Canon and Nikon's stuff. With a em1 you can get the adapter and use 4/3 glass as well where there are some stunning stuff but costs are high like any other good quality glass.

As for flash if you shoot manual flash you can keep using your canon one they can trigger just fine. The down side with any flash gun of the 580 class power is that they are oversized for m43 bodies. If you are ok with slightly less power the oly FL-600 is a good choice.

Personally I have not gotten any flash for my em5. I just shoot primes and use my 430EX in manual mode when I do want flash.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Horses for courses - my MFT setup is a 'mixed' one, and travel focused. The small size, bright primes are great, but it's tough to beat the versatility of a 2.8 zoom. I don't use the zoom for portraits, or things I want strong subject isolation on, but neither of those is terribly interesting to me when traveling - in that kind if situation I want to capture the place and more DOF is good.

It's just a very well rounded system for me. Zooms for ultrawide to short telephoto (7-14 and 12-40), a big long zoom for wildlife (43 50-200 for me, which is a bargain used), and I'll probably add a 25/1.4 and 75/1.5 to round things out. I always preferred my 135L to my 70-200/2.8 with my 5DII, so it makes sense as a setup.
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Welcome aboard!

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Thirteen months ago I was is a similar place, I'd used Canon SLRs with "L" glass for many years, film first, then dSLRs. I also spent time using film rangefinders which I dearly loved but were limiting for my work.

My Canon kit consisted of a 5D2, a backup 5D, 24-70 & 70-200 L f/2.8 lenses and a few primes. What I lacked and had postponed buying for years was either the 16-35 or 17-40, my widest was a 20mm f/2.8 prime. I was on the verge of buying a wide zoom when I rediscovered and decided to try m4/3 first, and if I liked it, I'd buy more, which I did (and more, and more, and more…) I had previously discounted the m4/3 system thinking the x2 factor was too much… in many instances it's a positive.

I purchased a 12-35 f/2.8 with a GX1, tried and liked it well enough during brief initial testing at home to believe it could replace the workhorse (and LARGE) 24-70, and immediately appreciated its ability to focus closer. With that hurdle behind me I opened the box containing the 7-14 f/4 and joined the world of super wide zooms (I have the 7.5 FE now too). I used these two lenses to shoot an event assignment, leaving all my SLR gear at home.

Later I purchased the then relatively new 35-100 f/2.8. The dramatic size and weight differences between the 35-100 and 70-200 are inspiring. As you said, you might not take your gear with you often enough due to it's size… for me this was very true regarding the 70-200. I'd owned the 70-200 f/2.8 lens for many years but it saw much less use than it could have simply because of its size; there's no such excuse to not carry the 35-100. The size and weight of m4/3 gear, long/fast lenses in particular, is/was a huge draw for me. I ride motorcycles and the reduction in the size of the gear was a game changer.

After a few months and substantial investment in m4/3, I sold my Canon gear to pay for the m4/3 kit I'd already acquired. There are some compromises as with any system which I'm sure you know, but overall it was a great move for me, I'm still happy I made the change.
  9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Flash is an area I've not yet sorted, I bought a Metz flash a few months ago that's much too large for the G3 and GX1 bodies I use. A medium sized flash might be in my future, though I try to use auxiliary lighting infrequently, sometimes it's needed.
  10. stevewestern

Jan 5, 2014
    Many thanks for al the replies, and lots of helpful advice.
    I have had a few years where due to injury I wasn't walking much, and bending or kneeling was a problem, so zooms sort of became the only option - primes might be well worth looking into. I think the only ones I have ever had were 50mm, on my old OM2 and 2 and then briefly a Canon one.
    For years I stuck to a Canon 70-200 f4 as it was light-ish - I then got an f2.8 version which is an amazing lens but BOY it weighs me down !

I plan to spend a day or two getting a few pictures of my Canon gear and some idea of value and then look into either selling via the UK forum I belong to or maybe trading it all in and will take it from there.
    Again, all your replies are much appreciated and any advice will be listened to as this is a major step for me, as I am sure it was for most of you !

RoadTraveler - I too am, or at least was a biker - the cause of my injuries, the start of how I met my wife (she nursed me) and my old OM2 fell off the back of one of mine, but despite hitting the motorway at 70mph it still works !

One last thing - I may be being blind but I cannot see how to 'thank' anyone for a reply, but would if I could see how to !
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're on the website, there is a thank button on the bottom left of each individual post.
  12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    And if you're on the Android app (highly recommended, BTW), tap on the post and a Thanks button appears at the top.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    FYI Steve, I sent you a PM just in case you don't have the PM alert on.

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Beat you by 4 weeks! :biggrin:
  15. stevewestern

Jan 5, 2014
    I must be blind or need to turn something on as I still cannot see a button - all there is is a 'report post' triangle. PM's are coming in though. This is on the website - is there a new member trial period as I am very new here ?

Anyway, much gratitude is being sent out to all !

BIG EDIT - For some reason it has just appeared - 'it' being the big Thank You box...!

I'll be sure to use it from now on, and promise it wasn't just me proving to one and all that I am a blind old duffer..!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Then at the top/right of the page under 'Notifications' you will see where you have received 'thanks' ;)
    • Like Like x 1