1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Another OM-D first impressions thread...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 25, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Feels great, maybe a little smaller feeling than I expected. I use my left eye, don't see it being an issue so far.

That little rubber cover for the AP-2 port? Back in the box... that thing is a pain. The cover from my E-P3 fits and looks much better (though not weather sealed).

Charging the battery well now, but played with it a bit in my office first. Great AF, quiet little advance, almost muted sounding, and...

...what noise? Messed with it for about an hour and it never even occurred to me I was supposed to pay attention for the vibration/noise I was concerned about. The A/C is on, but that's not really noisy. "The Noise" IS a non-issue.

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I didn't notice the noise until a week or so after I bought it...such a non-issue that was completely blown out of proportion.

Enjoy your new toy!

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Fascinating!

I can push the little monitor button and the camera works just like my E-P3, until I put my eye to the viewfinder and it automatically switches viewing back and forth!

Cool!

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    you like it more than your ep3 in terms of handling and such?

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Only had it a couple of hours...

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes!

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I've been amazed at the whining over things that are NOTHING. Like that sound of the sensor gyro. I can't even hear it at all unless I'm in an utterly quiet room. Even then it's kind of kewl. The switching between the screen and viewfinder to ME is ideal and the timing is perfect. No real delay to speak of and it works as advertised. I have had NO lockups as to hear it from some you'd think it was epidemic. Usually with other manufacturers lenses and I don't use those anyway. Battery life so far has been exemplary. The video is also far better than I expected. Better visually on screen than what my previous camera of that size, the Sony NEX 5N did, and better than the D7000 for sure. The IBIS is outstanding in both single shot as well as video use. It's like having a SteadiCam . I'm a shaky shooter to begin with so that's wonderful. I have NO issues with the menu and now I'm familiar with it can zip right where I need to go for any adjustments. I'm even pleased with both the provided flash and the outboard FL-600R I've added. All in all this has been a great experience for me with this cam.