Another Olympus Repair Story

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiro, Jul 9, 2016.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So I had a TG 860 camera. At the beach this year. It developed a serious leak. Saltwater destroyed it completely. So I called in to Oly just to check on cost of repair even though I assumed camera was total loss. I was two weeks out of warranty. When they realized that they said they would cover it under warranty. I didn't even ask if they would.

A little more than a week goes by and I've heard nothing back. I log in and see that camera was received. Another week goes by. No status change. Then I get an email saying camera has shipped.

They sent me a refurbed camera in perfect condition, new battery and charger, regular wrist strap, waterproof wrist strap, a floating wrist strap, and a camera pouch.

Nicely done Olympus.
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Without knowing which country/region Olympus repair center you used, this doesn't mean much, because they range from great to garbage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    What Rubenstein meant to say in a more polite manner was "Nice! Was this the US repair center or somewhere else?" :laugh1:
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I had a similar experience here on the East coast of the US. My EP-5 was damaged in shipping to a buyer so I took it back and refunded of course.. I sent it to Olympus and they sent me a beautiful refurb with very few shutter actuation. I felt like a got a new one and the price was simply the fixed repair cost (something like $159). Agree that this repair service is a good deal.
  5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    When I sent my E-M1 in for an issue with dirt under the sensor cover-glass, their repair centre did the same thing. It's up to them to add updated data to the repair status. Most of the time, they just mark it received, and then work on it without further updates until it is shipped out.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No, he said exactly what he meant. :) He takes being a curmudgeon to an art form.
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm in the northeast US. I called the general US # for customer service, but initially sent the camera to New Jersey. The refurb shipped back from Texas.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Had a great experience with Olympus Customer Service myself. Grey market camera, they fixed the issue as under warranty, no question asked. What more can you ask?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia

Raised by wolves that lad...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    From my experience, the actual repair can be troublesome (as in it takes them a few time to actually repair it), but the few weeks/days out of warranty is not a big deal.