1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another noob checking in

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by acercanto, Apr 18, 2011.

1. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Hey from Southwest VA!
    I stumbled upon this site in my search for a new camera to replace my aging Kodak Z730, which I love, but is beginning to hold me back, photographically. I poked around dpreview to see what kinds of cameras were neat, and found the :43: format, and ultimately decided on a GF1, after several weeks of evenings spent reading.
    I am convinced there's a forum for everything out there, and in my experience the smaller ones are awesome places to exchange information and knowledge, in a friendly environment. Hopefully this is one of them! :smile:

Acercanto

• Like Like x 7
  2. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Welcome acercanto.
    I am another recent convert to this site. Can't believe how helpful it's been and my first :43: hasn't even arrived yet!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome Acercanto, enjoy the forum and your new GF1!

• Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome and yes this forum is still small enough to be very friendly - noobie or pro.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Acercanto,

It certainly is! Welcome to the board.

Enjoy your visits, post some images and soon enough you'll be on a first name basis with folks from all over the globe...

Cheers from New England. Alan

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Welcome.

Gordon

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome aboard!! This is a very friendly forum. So I highly recommend using the resources available to you in the form of several experienced m4/3 users.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Welcome! This place sure is friendly. Post a couple of shots when the gf1 arrives! :)

9. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

10. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Thanks for the welcome, guys! I'm looking forward to immersing myself in learning the terminology and knowledge necessary to decide what lens to go with my GF1 (that should arrive tomorrow!!!:yahoo:) bought from a fellow member.

I'm a funny duck. When I take up a new hobby, I tend to research the subject out the gazoo for a few weeks/months getting a solid working knowledge set up before I purchase anything. I try to do enough research to make a well-informed decision on any purchases necessary, so that I don't have to spend more money in the long run.
    Before finding this place, I did several weeks of research on dpreview.com poring over their awesome reviews, comparing ergonomics and interfaces and other stuff. I finally found the :43: format, and then finally narrowed it down to the GF1.
    That said, I'm impatient to find and purchase a lens so I can get out and photograph stuff!!!

I'm thinking I'll ultimately need 3 lenses. A good macro, a catch-all, and a tele, since I like taking long shots.
    I of course have my eye on the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, but I think I can wait for it to become a little more available.

I know nothing of multiplication factors, focal lengths, angle of vie... Maybe I should tell y'all what I do know...
    I know that a larger F-stop means the aperture is smaller, letting less light in, and holding more of the foreground and background in focus (would that be termed "a longer focal plane"?)
    I thought a larger mm number meant that the objective lens was larger, therefore gathering more light, but it seems it has to do with the magnification, and field-of-view too, somehow.:confused:
    Basically, I don't know jack. :smile:

I'm perusing the 4Sale section for stuff, but frankly, I don't know how to decode what I read into a coherent description of the thing.

Well, back to reading for me!
    Acer

11. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I would go for the 14-140mm for allround and tele plus a manual focus prime f1.4 for low light. That should keep costs down and satisfy your needs.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Well with the panny, you are really limited to the panny 14-140 for a all around lens, as it is the only all around lens with lens IS. The oly 14-150 will work, but you do not get the IS as oly design them to work with their IBIS. With a long zoom, IS becomes a very useful feature. So there is really no way to keep the cost down in that department, as it is an expensive lens even used. I would get the 20 1.7 and get a MF macro lens with adapter to keep down the cost as you really need to shoot on a tripod for 1:1 macro. So IS is not as important. And the only true m4/3 option is another expensive option with the panny PL 45 2.8.

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME to the party !!

Hello and Welcome Acercanto. I am a recent micro 4/3's man myself. I can tell you that this site is a very friendly place. Much friendlier than other photo places online. I actually joined here a few months before i finally purchased a G1. I have been into photography since i was 12. Having amassed a decent amount of manual focus lenses (although many say i have too many) it was the logical choice for a digital camera for me.

you say :
    Ohhh your extremely close there. just replace F-stop with "F-number" or "f-stop number". When we say large f-stop that would be referring to the the opening of the iris which would be a low f-number and not the f-number value. OR You could have also said "Higher f-stop" which would also have meant higher f-number and have been correct too , but you understood the concept well it seams just used one wrong word. Look at this page for a short and better explanation.

No it would not.
    It would be termed Greater Depth of Field (abbreviated DOF) because there is more DEPTH as to what is in the FIELD of Focus. SO in short the Higher the number on the Aperture ring the greater the DOF (more in-focus in front of and behind the subject ) and the lower the number the less DOF. Click here for a great page to read on that.
    Yes and when you put into play the size of the sensor that changes things it all gets confusing. But instead of Field i think a better more common term is Angle-of-view. Anyway this is a good format to make figuring it out easier. Because Angle of view is determined by the size of the sensor and the Focal length of the lens(the mm of the lens as you say).

On the 4/3 sensor camera the Angle of view on a 50mm lens is the same as the angel of view on a 100mm lens for a classic 135 film (35mm) camera. Also conversely an image from a 25mm lens on a four thirds sensor camera is the same as what is seen through a 50mm lens on a old SLR 135(35mm) film camera. So we say there is a 2x factor, because its magnified 2 times on our cameras from the old 135 (35mm) cameras. Now on the other Brands of digital SLR's having different sensors there's a 1.5x, 1.6x and 1.33x factors and all that math is annoying.. So thank God we don't have one of those.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm sure this was just as typo for Angle of view but I love it! We could all use some angels guiding our shots from time to time.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello acercanto,

The GF1 is a very nice ยต43 body, you'll enjoy it's sold well made feel. I have, and use a GF1 regularly.

Please don't overlook the Panasonic 14-45 Kit Zoom if you can find one! A very nice piece of kit, utilitarian, and surprising. feels pretty nice on the GF1 frame also. Has MEGA OIS

There is also the 45-200. Not a lens that stands up well to in depth reviews, but real world... it's often found at a bargain price, and performs better than one might imagine. Has MEGA OIS

I note you mention lots of "long" shots. My recommendation would be to find a EVF for the GF1 for tele. I'm not a big fan of attempting tele shots while holding the camera at arms length... If you planning to use a tripod for most of these, not an issue.

I'd feel quite confident about the two lenses mentioned above when keeping any budget constraints in mind.. Mind you, I'm not advocating "against" the 14-140 it's an awesome lens as shoturtle pointed out. Just quite a bit more costly...

45-200 - No graphs, no charts, just images: Lens Test 45-200 - Mu-43 Gallery

14-45 kit zoom- https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-14-45mm-f-3-5-5-6-image-thread-296/

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

:biggrin: i agree with you on all counts.. Dam spell check:rofl:

17. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Wow, thanks guys for the recommendations (and corrections, RDM:smile:)! I think I'm gonna hold out and wait for the 20mm 1.7, but in the mean time I found the 45-200mm you mentioned Alan, locally, so I think I'm going to get that just for something to start off with.

Acer

18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi acercanto,

It won't be quite as much fun, but you'll have a lens to use.

The 45-200 is not the easiest to handle lens for a beginner, requires some very steady hands at long focal length, as do all telephoto lenses, but under good conditions it provide you some pleasing results..

Cheers, Alan

19. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    I'll have to keep that in mind and try not to ask to much of it or myself, then. I'm coming from the Z730, which is pretty slow in low light, so I have a good bit of practice finding ways to stabilize it.
    One question, (hehe, right, only one?) how do I calculate how much the image is magnified/zoomed from the mm number? I know for :43: it's half of the equivalent 35mm, so the 45-200 is the same as a 90-400 on 35mm, but what does that translate to in zoom? 4x? 9x?

Learning,
    Acer

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi,

Yes. 45-200 translates to 90-400. As to How that's translates to 2x 4x etc. I'm sure you'll hear from one o the lens techie's any minute...

I'm not sure of the answer you want.

Cheers, Alan