1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Another new MILC? From Pentax?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by meyerweb, Jan 19, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Sorry, the subject line should have said "From Pentax?"

Pentax K-01 APS-C mirrorless camera to be announced next month | Photo Rumors

Sounds interesting, but potentially with the same problem as NEX. With the K mount and APS-C sensor, lenses are going to be large. Might make sense for someone with a large collection of K-mount lenses, but otherwise?

Looks more and more like m43 is in the right spot. Bracketed on the top by systems with bigger sensors but bigger and heavier gear and on the bottom by the Pentax Q and Nikon 1 which maybe give up too much IQ.

Like Goldilocks, PanOly found the size that's "just right." :wink:

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pentax has those killer AF pancake lenses. I'd be in prime heaven if they brought out a K-mount mirrorless!

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Are those Pentax pancake primes AF? They do look super tiny.

This camera may not be all that small, though... on that link they list the weight at 560g with battery. :eek: Maybe that number is including the lens as the GX1 is 413g with lens and card/battery.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yes they are all AF (except for the original Pentax-M 40mm F2.8...the original pancake of pancakes).

The current Pentax Limited lenses are all the same size or smaller than the Panasonic 20mm, my 15mm ltd is the only exception, being about 1cm deeper. No doubt they'd make more lenses suited to it as well.

In my mind I'm picturing a camera that will end up looking like a miniaturized 645D - flat top due to no mirror box, with the sensor portion slightly squared due to the registration distance - I'm guessing Ricoh will want to make a splash, so it'll be interesting whether we like it or not!

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    my only issue with the pancake 40's is it's a really odd FL on the APS-C sensors =/ I had one on my k1000 and damn was that setup nice.

6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Sorry to burst your (Asahi) bubble, but Nikon beat Pentax to the market by seven years with the GN Nikkor 45mm f/2.8. It was introduced in 1969. The SMC Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8 wasn't introduced until 1976.

The GN Nikkor was designed for use with flash. It had an ingenious linkage between the focusing ring and the aperture ring such that it opened up the lens aperture for longer focusing distances and closed it down for closer distances in order to give a constant exposure with flash. All flash shots were accurately exposed because the lens was automatically set to the correct aperture for the focusing distance.

You simply dialled in the Guide Number of the flash (GN) on the front of the lens, then the linkage did the rest.

The much later AI-P Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 pancake lens shared the focal length and aperture of the GN Nikkor but had a completely different optical design. Ken Rockwell claims they were the same. However, as is so often the case, Ken Rockwell is just plain wrong. :rolleyes:

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'll concede defeat on that one...though it does look bigger than the Pentax 40mm!

8. I think the idea of using existing Pentax primes on a mirrorless body is less exciting than it sounds. Add an adapter to the lenses and they are no longer pancakes. Take a look at the Olympus 25/2.8 pancake: tiny on a 4/3 body but on m4/3 it's just a biggish, slow prime lens.

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've clearly missed something - why would you continue an SLR mount designed to make room for a mirror flapping about (a 35mm mirror for that matter), and use it within a mirrorless design? It just means you've got 20mm or so of vacant space, doing precisely nothing.

Why would they not make a new mount (still in front of an APS sensor) and just sell an AF capable K-mount adapter?

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nothing looked sexier than the Nikon FM3a with a 40mm AI-P Pancake mounted. Man, I hope the new OM-D looks like this! :biggrin::tongue:

tumblr_lwwgy5I0pi1qebjj4o1_500.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    cost. a whole new line of lenses would be a lot of R&D money. So would a decent k-mount adapter. the 4/3 adapter for m43 isn't exactly stellar (not sure about Nikon's F/DX->CX mount).

12. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Then why do it at all? This will have absolutely no size benefit over a K-mount body with a mirror, and you just lose the ovf and pdaf...

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Agreed. If they are going in a new direction, do it with gusto!

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    possibly to just do it. I just gave a reason on why the didn't go w/ a new mount, I didn't say I agree with going w/ the k mount =) But I'll reserve judgement of course for February. There has to be more to it.

I would possibly argue that a mirrorless K5 (or even say 5D) could be desirable to not have the mirror. Less moving parts. Not much cost savings, but could add up. More importantly, some folks prefer the size and handling of SLRs. However, this assumes they've figured out how to match AF w/o the mirror. I highly doubt pentax has figured that out.

15. Now that you mention them; two of my least favourite things about DSLRs. Sounds like a great idea!

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If the step up from the K-5 is as big as it was from the K-x and K-7 in terms of CDAF speed, it will be on par with their current PDAF. The K-5 is actually very fast CDAF for a full dslr, I find it just as useful as my m4/3 cameras for low angle shooting. It isn't near the current crop of Oly cams, but is easily faster than the e-p1/2.

17. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    +1 I'm a huge Pentax fan (see the glass in my sig) so I'd love to see them release something competitive... Just not sure where they're going with this.

18. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Early pancakes? Try the 3.5cm Elmar from 1930 onwards. :smile:

19. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    I have a feeling a lot of us are missing the point with this one by comparing it to existing mirrorless cameras. My guess (and it is just that) is that this is a K-x replacement, rather than a new mirrorless "system". I think most of us can agree that, as EVF tech improves, the mirrored system is going to become superfluous. This is particularly true for users like me that never used an SLR or DSLR in the first place. I have played with some, and they just make me want an EVF. Pentax obviously needs to keep the K-mount going, but why include mirrors if they aren't needed? You could (potentially) lose the hump, shrink the body a little, and have a great entry-level DSLR replacement with access to a full range of lenses and accessories.

There is still a market for cameras larger than the current mirrorless offerings, whether mirrored or not. Some people like the handling of a larger body, and once you go to carrying your equipment in a bag, it can be argued that the size penalty is negligible (though the weight is another matter). I think cameras like this new Pentax may be the future for this segment.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Is it? I hadn't kept up w/ the K5's CDAF performance. Though, the other half of AF is tracking. Both that and speed are something canikon still have the edge.

But regardless, if that is the case, then I'd be inclined to go w/ Wes7, that this might be an entry level DSLR replacement where action isn't the point or a big deal really (well, maybe in advertising, so maybe it is, heh).