Another new guy

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by David A, Sep 30, 2011.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

I'm another newbie, just getting back into photography after leaving it many years ago when I gave up 35m b&w. Now I'm trying to learn digital with a new PEN E-P1. I'm attaching a photo taken on my 2nd day with the PEN, a stroke of luck rather than something I intended capturing but one can't argue with luck.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Welcome to the form David.
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    G'day David!
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome David. Where in Brisbane did you snap that?
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    In Parkinson. The bottlebrush is in the corner of my back yard. I was standing out there trying to catch some birds in the tree while trying out the 40-150mm zoom from the kit and discovered I'd caught that one in the air rather than in the tree. I was more concerned with figuring out the camera than trying to catch birds in flight which was why I said it was more luck than anything.
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum David!
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Welcome David! I think we've got a decent number of mates from down under in this forum! Nice photo!
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome to the forum David.
  10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    It's an invasion from down under! :wink:

Welcome to this very international forum! :2thumbs:
  11. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    Welcome to the forum!
    Your story sounds a bit like mine. Walked away from photography and remained away for nearly twenty years. Digital has been an interesting change for me as well. The aspect of shooting is pretty much the same but being able to see the results immediately is pretty great. The one thing that does bother me is constant releasing of new models every few months. With film that was never really a big factor. If I was using a Lecia M3 I didn’t feel like I needed an M4. The Nikons pretty much were the same after the FTN came out. Digital cameras are like computers and are constantly being “improved“.
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

More vegemite for the masses! All these under guys, mebbe one day I can get one to explain rugby rules to me! Lol :D

Welcome aboard! More pics please :)
  13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks all for the welcomes. I've been enjoying lurking for a couple of weeks and enjoying all your pictures.

Eliot asked for more pictures. I haven't got too much with the Pen that's worth sharing at present but here's 2, a bottlebrush flower from my back yard and another bird. The flower and my original photo are both full frame. The new bird shot is cropped to a bit less than half of the frame to eliminate some distracting rocks in the foreground. I took it with the 45mm f/1.8 Oly which I picked up yesterday morning and took with me on my walk around my local area yesterday afternoon. We've got a couple of large water features in parkland in my area and the one thing we aren't short of is water birds.

Plus a correction from my first post. I said I'd bought an E-P1. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that but it's actually the new E-P3.

Attached Files:

14. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Nice pics! The flora and fauna are pretty alien to someone from Up Above, but certainly intriguing. Welcome to the forum and greetings from Rome

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Do they still make fosters lager? Welcome to the dope spot. :)
  16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    They still make Fosters, but the company has just been sold and is no longer Australian.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's some interesting flora and fauna here. The native bottlebrush trees have incredible flowers in a range of colours. They can look quite alien at times. All 3 of the shots I've posted were taken either in my back yard or in a small nearby park in a suburb of Brisbane which is the capital of the state of Queensland. It's quite a bit smaller than Rome, and shall we say a bit more "provincial", but it's a long way from open countryside. You won't find the really exotic Aussie f&f around here. As for the really common stuff, there's an awful lot of ducks walking the streets around my home, so many in fact that there's actually a traffic sign indicating that ducks cross the road at a roundabout a few blocks from my home
  18. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I understand that your rats are way bigger and that they hop ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App