1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another month in India with GX7s

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RzzB, Feb 27, 2015.

1. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Last year I posted here about a trip we made to Rajasthan and Sikkim - https://www.mu-43.com/threads/63264/. I left my Canon 5DIII and L lenses at home, and took two GX7s and an array of lenses. It was such a good trip that we returned this year. Rajasthan again, but mostly different places, and then south to Karnataka. Oh, then a stop off in Agra on the way back (it had to be done). The first two weeks were on a photographic holiday/workshop organised by Paul Sansome (www.paulsansome.com).

I have hardly used the Panasonic gear throughout the year, preferring the Canon gear when weight is not a problem. It took me a day or so to get back into the swing of things. It's so different to the Canon.

Last year there were questions about the GX7’s reliability given the lack of weather protection. Well, I did have some problems with focusing on the two lenses that I mainly used. The 45-200 f/4-5.6 just wouldn't come into focus at the long end - struggling to focus on distant objects. I spent a couple of days manually focusing which was not ideal. I managed to fix it by vigorously winding the focus and zoom rings back and forth. My guess is that dust had got in (there was plenty of it) and was causing problems.

I think I struggled more this year. We seemed to encounter more interesting subjects that were in awkward light. This is where the GX7 trails behind in comparison to the 5DIII. I'm finding anything with an ISO above 800 is generally not good enough for my purposes (unless it's just a record shot).

Anyway, here are the pics. Some of the bird shots are just for identification. If anyone knows what they are please let me know - it may save me hours of Googling!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rzzzb/collections/72157644906575210/

Nearly all the shots are hand held. We humped the tripod around for a month and only used it once! I have made sure all the Exif data is visible so people can make their own minds up. Processing has been down to Lightroom - typically - White Balance, Cropping, a little White/Black and Highlight/Shadow adjustment - and a little on the Exposure slider. Probably too much on the Clarity slider - a bad habit of mine!:) I also typically add a little dodging/buring to focus the viewer - for this I use the Adjustment Brush. Never any sharpening, but often quite high Noise Reduction.

This has been a first pass processing - we returned home last Saturday and I have done nothing all week except processing! I will come back to them later especially if I decide to make prints of any of them.

A side note. The pictures taken on the morning of 30th Jan were taken in a tiny village that is being assisted by a charity called Wells for India. They are based in Winchester in the UK, close to where we live. This was a brilliant part of the workshop. Lots of photographic opportunities, but mainly it was so nice to meet and talk (through interpreters) with the local people. We were told this village had visitors like us only twice a year. A morning to remember.

Will we be returning next year? No idea - but if we do I'm pretty sure that I will be taking the Canon! I had better start weight training now!

Roy

• Like Like x 3
  2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Very nicely done and that's for sharing! Your photos are all extremely well captured, though I particularly like the one of the three women on the geometric steps.

3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    That small blue bird from Karnataka might be what is called a Kingfisher.

Nice sets. I'm not a big people photographer, but you've captured some really good shots.

4. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    That is a Kingfisher, so is the green one later on.

Edit (not Periyar as that's in Kerala and Tamil Nadu, my bad).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    These are wonderful. You have a great eye for people shots, and I'm impressed with your birds in flight; not so easy with a GX7.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Frankly amazing!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    Awesome shots. Thanks for sharing. All of the portraits and street photos were nicely done. I also really love the shot of the crane (egret?) flying over its reflection. Beautiful. :bravo-009: