another milky way post :P

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by tg9413, Aug 19, 2015.

1. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    _1190527. _1190529. _1190697. StarStaX__1190543-_1190690_gap_filling_PP-Edit. Salvaged from the noisy pics due to the heat of death valley, here is what I come up with. These pics are taking at a slightly higher elevation so the air is a bit cooler, guess that helped quiet a bit compares to the ones I took in the dead center of death valley. For anyone who doesn't know, death valley is the lowest elevation point in entire north america, about 200ft below sea level.

• Like Like x 8
  2. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Can you give some details, camera and settings etc?

Great job!

3. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Thanks~ :)
    here is the setting i use and the PP flow.
    shots are all taken at
    GX7 + Oly 12mm, iso 2500, f2.0, exp 20sec with NR. post process with lightroom, don't do over all adjustment maybe just play with noise reduction a bit. Then start patiently using brush to paint the whole sky to adjust contrast / noise etc.. then another layer of paint on the milky way to boost the color temperature and tint a bit so it has this yellowish and purple looking hue, and finally paint the core again to reduce the exposure/shadow/black to make it a bit darker than the sky so it's has this mysterious looking.

The star trial one is stack with 150 pics of the same setting above without NR. The noise is really horrible in that one right off the bat due to the heat in death valley, dark frame initially didn't do much good if when simply export to jpg and process with starstax. I had to do some editing first in LR before stacking then export the final image to photoshop to reduce the noise even further.

One thing i do learn this time... bring a flash light and use the edge of of light beam or some sort of diffuser to light the foreground a bit, with that exposure setting it's pretty much impossible to catch anything in the foreground in pitch darkness. A genteelly lit foreground is much easy to deal with than a well lit for foreground during post process when you have to do all these extreme adjustment to the sky.

4. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks! I have been frustrated trying to shoot the Milky Way and the meteor shower, and thought I just needed a FF camera. You prove that I was wrong!

5. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    It has much to do with the location I guess. I can't get anything out at where I live also evrn with stacking . Bay area is just too bright. Down at death valley I could see the milky way with my bare eyes :x full frame may help with noise but I doubt it has any other significant advantage in term of at least making a visble milky way pic

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You can get a little of the Milky Way just out of the Bay Area. In another post I showed a pic in Point Reyes which showed the Milky Way.

https://flic.kr/p/wjCvNk

7. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I had a fairly similar experience recently, with the meteor shower, and a barely visible milky way. I had studied the light pollution maps before hand, and knew it was likely to be a problem for me shooting close to home. It's just a nice excuse to plan a camping trip to a dark sky location. I'll be headed to the Allegheny National Forest in western Pennsylvania for the next new moon, if the weather is a agreeable. It's the closest truly dark sky to Cleveland, and only 3.5hrs away! Plan a trip to your closest dark sky spot!

8. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    that's actually quiet amazing for such a near by place, but sadly I live in south bay :( that's like going from S to N for me XD i'll probably try out Pacheco state park next new moon near gilroy, according to some that place is the first dark sky outside the bay.