Another hello from Spain

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by angloasturian, Apr 3, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

My name is Colin and I have been living in this paradise on the north coast of Spain called Asturias for the last 41 years (hence my signature). I came as a teacher, fell in love immediately and will not leave until, as I tell my friends, I go ‘feet first’.
    Let me just say that I’m not a M43 user yet. I’ve just bought an E-PL1 and have received an e-mail to tell me it’s on its way. I’m really excited at the prospect because I have a lot of legacy lenses I want to try on it (see below).
    A ‘brief’ biography (please skip it if you wish). I have been an amateur photographer since I was a teenager, starting with my Dad’s Iloca, then a Zenith and finally a second-hand OM 1 I bought with some money my Gran left me.
    Once in Spain I started to develop and print my own B/W, but mainly used slides for holiday trips (Austria, Hungary, Egypt, Thailand). I still have all the equipment but the appearance of digital cameras has made me very lazy – so now if I shoot film I just develop it and scan it into my PC.
    I still have an OM1, OM10 and OM4.
    I also have a Voigtlander Bessa R, Bessa L and Bessa T (the 101 anniversary edition with the famous 50mm f3.5 Heliar). Also a Contax T2.
    To start in digital I bought a Nikon Coolpix 2000, then a second-hand Olympus E-300 with the 14-45 kit lens and later acquired the 40-150. This was about 2 years ago. Since then I’ve gone mad and bought all sorts of weird stuff – and forums (fora?) like yours are to blame!
    How about this: Sigma 600mm catadioptric (1200 on my E-300)
    Makinon 300mm catadioptric
    Konica AR 40mm/1.8 (which I adapted to 4/3)
    Vivitar 19mm (Nikon mount with 4/3 adaptor)
    Vivitar 24mm (ditto).Both cost me 40€!
    Pentax 110 24mm (bought a 110 camara with this lens for 10 GBP and cannibalized it - incredibly small - I’m going to try to mount it on my EPL1 by trying to fix it on the body cap).
    These lenses came with the cameras:
    OM System
    Olympus 50mm/1.8
    Olympus 28mm/3.5
    Olympus 135mm/3.5
    Olympus 28-48mm
    Olympus 35-70mm
    Leica M39 screw
    Voigtlander 25mm/4
    Voigtlander 35mm/2.5
    Voigtlander 50mm/2.5 Color Skopar
    Voigtlander 50mm/3.5 Heliar
    Ernst Leitz Wetzlar 90mm/4

So, as you can see, I’m going to have quite an interesting time fooling around with all the combinations. I’m especially looking forward to seeing, and using, the E-PL1 with the VC 25mm – the perfect street camera?
    I hope the ‘Adapted Lenses’ thread is still going when I get all my stuff together (my adaptors are coming on ‘a slow boat from China’. Actually that’s not fair – the last lot didn’t take ages to arrive.).
    Well, many thanks for wading through all this (if you managed it). I’m looking forward to showing you where I live as most people don’t imagine Spain as green and mountainous – imagine Switzerland with a coastline like Cornwall. I may even start a ‘Where I live’ thread – although it’s probably been done.
    Absolutely delighted to form part of this ‘family’.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Colin and welcome, rather envious of your collection of legacy lenses. I'm building up a collection, mainly Voigtlander screw type and am very pleased with the results so far, hopefully be even more pleased when the rain stops. I hope you enjoy yours when your adapters arrive.

Barrie

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome Colin and thank you for your introduction - lens and cameras, included. I can't wait to see photographs of where you live - "Switzerland with a coastline like Cornwall"!:biggrin:

I think you'll love your new E=PL1.

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Colin ! Congrats on your new camera !

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Colin, please do make yourself at home :friends:

Cheers

Brian

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    welcome to the forum your lenses are great , and when i comes to the wonderful pentax 110 lenses ,whose image circle is correct , more or less for M4\3 we do think alike 1

ive adapted 4 auto 110 lenses with bodycaps mounts

the incredibly tiny 24 , the size of a bottle cap the wonderful wide 18 and the sharp 50

and another 50 with a permanent leica extension ring for quick macro

hope to read your exploits here
    as you adapt that wonderful collection and more

here is a description of the process i used
    http://e-p1.net/index.php?topic=676.0

8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member