1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another GX1 or E-M5 thread..

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ballcall2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    I am going to Italy next week and I want to buy either of these cameras... I can buy the gx1 for about 550 euros and the e-m5 for about 880 euros. I currently have the panasonic 20mm and the panasonic 14-45mm lenses. Do you think that the e-m5 worth the price difference? Which would be better for a beginner?
    I am looking to be future proof- I don't want to replace the camera anytime soon.

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    These two cameras offer totally different feature set and form factors. You need to decide what features you want before you can choose a camera.

Don't forget to consider the new G5... it may very well fit your needs and budget better than either of these two cameras. :2thumbs:

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    What Don said...:eek:

Seriously though, they are both superb (as is the G5) and judging from the number of folks still using E-PL1's, E-P1's and GF1's I'd say future proof is the least of your concerns.

Fundamentally the GX1 and E-M5 are very different cameras and IMHO really appeal to folks for different reasons. I really don't see them as competing with one another. As Don said, you really need to ask yourself which of these cameras best suits your needs. That can be based on features, performance, ease of use, ergonomics, price or even which one you think is nicer looking. It's really up to you. They are both excellent cameras. If it were me I would probably be more likely to go with the cheaper camera because I am a firm believer in putting any extra money I have into the trip.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..
    Join the exclusive GX1+ PL25 combo club ..OMD is too common now and hence doesnt interest me for the time being ..lol hahahhahha:rofl:
    Jokes apart , pick and GX1 and use rest of the money to buy lenses . OMD is a fantastic camera but if u are only after IQ then its not worth extra 600 dollars IMHO given that I am a huge Oly fan . I just bought GX1 and loving it . Its one the sexiest cameras at the moment .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    The G5 looks like an amazing camera, but unfortunately the G5 is not yet available in Italy.
    You all tell me that the e-m5 nd gx1 are really different, but the only main difference that I find is the built in EVF. They both look quite compact, well built, but from what I saw in reviews the E-M5 has ad edge over the gx1 IQ wise (especially in JPEG). But I don't the weather sealed feature in the E-M5.

6. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    Do you think that if I have the 20mm the 25mm would be really necessary or should I spend the money on a nice telephoto lens?

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I, personally have both cameras and would suggest the OMD. Reasoning being that it offers more flexibility in one package, having both an EVF and a tilt screen. When traveling both these features may be useful. If you have the 20, I wouldn't worry about the 25, as the smaller size, and wider view may be handy as well as easier to transport. You mention future proof,neither will be...but the OMD does offer more features, and is still holding its value where as the GX1 is now selling for less than half it's original price. Both are capable, great cams and neither is obviously better at IQ. If you want a telephoto, I'd suggest the either 14-150 or 14-140 depending on which body you choose. Both are great travel lenses, and offer great coverage in one package.

• Like Like x 1
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Having both the GX1 and OM-D and being a relative beginner, I can tell you, you're not going to see a big IQ difference between the two. The OM-D is a bit more trick in customization, but unless you really know how to use all that, it's not necessarily worth it. Money is better spent on glass, where you really will see the results. I would personally say the GX1 is a better camera to get familiar with the system. The user-interface is a much more simple task to figure out, leaving you time to just take pictures and not worry about settings. I've spent a lot of money to get into this system and I got the OM-D for a second body having only primes to shoot with, and so my girlfriend can have a camera when we travel and go out and shoot.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would normally say go for the GX1 and spend the rest on glass, but with the price difference of 330 euros, I think it really comes down to whether you want to use a viewfinder. If you end up buying accessory, external viewfinder for the GX1 and use it most of the time, the price gap narrows and the overall size would be the same. If that is the case, I would say go for the E-M5 for a bit more flexibility (IBIS, tilt screen).

• Like Like x 1
  10. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    My plans for the moment is to shoot with JPEG. Would you say that the OM-D produce considerably better IQ in Jpeg compared to the GX1?

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    If I was traveling I would pick the 14-45 the most because of the flexibility and take a fast lens (the 20 or the 25) for low light. Then again I prefer to travel light.

12. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks man that's helpful. Which do you use now more?

13. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    The two lenses that I currently have are excactly the lenses you menchened: the14-45mm and the 20mm... I think that I will also buy the 45-200mm in the near future..

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Is the E-M5 better? Yes. Is is considerably better? I don't know...with previous Panasonic cameras I would have said yes but I have been shooting JPEG with the GX1 and I think they look great. I think it's pretty close.

These are all GX1 JPEGs

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7756474180/" title="Corona by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7756474180_2c2e75851c_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Corona"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736796596/" title="Trooper by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736796596_192a004888_b. "769" height="1024" alt="Trooper"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736793828/" title="Hope by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736793828_ed22fe2c48_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Hope"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  15. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    Those are beautiful... With what lenses did you shoot them?

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    If choosing the GX1, I personally would also purchase the add-on EVF, as there are a great many times when I find using an EVF very helpful, if not essential.

The only snags with an add-on EVF are that it makes the camera more expensive and the EVF either needs to be carried as a separate piece OR it's on the camera all the time. Having an add-on EVF on a rangefinder form-factor camera is, for me personally, a bit awkward and cumbersome.. making the camera's overall shape more irregular and more snag-prone. I use an add-on EVF with my E-PL3 and it works fine, but still is associated with these niggling issues that I mentioned.

These are the reasons why I generally prefer the G3/G5/E-M5... the viewfinder is always with you and, in the case of the G3/G5, it flows shape-wise a bit better with the body than an add-on EVF does. The E-M5 EVF and hotshoe does tower a fair bit over the top of the camera, and I prefer a more sculpted, rounded shape, personally. Therefore I presently prefer shooting with my G5 vs. my E-M5. Though they are both capable cameras.

What this all comes down to, and as an aside from your immediate question, is that when a rangefinder form-factor m4/3 camera with built-in EVF come on the scene... a lot of these concerns will go away! :dance3:

17. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    I didn't consider the g3 because it looked not as well build as the gx1 or e-m5. On the other hand, the prices of it are really low.
    I wish I could buy the G5- it is indeed look like a great camera (but again, it is not built as well as the gx1 or the om-d).

18. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    BTW, I am sorry everyone for my bad English. I am not an English speaker...

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Those were all shot with the PL45.

20. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm using the OM-D a bit more at the moment. I've only had it for a month so I'm still learning a bit about it. The grip was essential for me, my hands are just too big without it, so depending on how you like them ergonomically that cost is another $300 USD on top of the body. The 7-14 lives mainly on the GX1 as I don't have to correct CA, meaning less processing time. I shot RAW though. Every time I pick up the GX1 I love using it and I like I said I'm not noticing a big difference in the final pictures from it. I would agree with the others though, if the price is that similar I would probably pick the EM-5. The EVF is a must have for the GX1, eventually.