1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another Good Anti-GAS exercise

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by penfan2010, Jun 18, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I started going down a very familiar train of thought for many forum members: what lens to buy next? This has been fairly acute after selling off my Panny 14 and 20 and the old Oly kit zoom lenses to pay for the Panny Leica 25mm. It feels naked to be without a lens without a wide FOV a few weeks before a major trip where I might need one for interiors or landscapes. So, 12mm or 9-18? I decided to stop the debate by looking through old photos to determine which lens/FOV I used in the past to take shots I really like. I picked a number of them and checked the Info data on iPhoto--lo and behold, all the ones I picked were from a variety of P&Ss, in the days between shooting pure 35mm film and my first DSLR purchase (4-5 years).

The answer to the lens conundrum? I guess I don't need a new lens, just more time to shoot with whatever I already have.

A few photos from those I picked, taken with an "ancient" Canon S30 and Minolta DiMage Z1.

• Like Like x 4
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think the 12mm ...

• Like Like x 4
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This is so true. When I sort through my old photos, I am sometimes surprised by how good some of those photos look, and some of them were from my P&S days... Of course these P&S had their flaws, which prompted me to upgrade in the first place, but looking at those photos definitely serve as a good reminder that I should focus on going out to shoot more rather than being obsessed with gears...

Lately, especially since I got my E-M5, I have been developing this feeling that my photographic skills have deteriorated the more advanced my equipments have become. This is when I realized that the cameras are so advance these days, that they are no longer constraints in our photographic journey. Instead, my skills have become the constraint, so I have decided that I really need to hone my skills before my next purchase...

Let's see how long this can last before the next bout of GAS develops though...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I have but one GASy item still working on me. I would really like the third kit lens, the 40-150mm. I already have the 14-42mm and the 17mm as well as a Nikon adapter for my (now orphaned) 50mm f1.8, but I would like an AF telephoto zoom just for fun. To treat the symptoms I may have to try my 28-105mm f3.2-4.5 Pentax lens on the Pentax adapter, but alas, no AF.

GAS is a pain.

• Like Like x 2
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    "Get thee behind me, Gary!"
    :smile:

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... just trying to help.

G

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I like your shots, and I have the 25 1.4 as well. I think that's the FL I produce the most satisfying photos in, however it does feel like naked without a zoom around for landscape.

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 Four Thirds lens has been messing with my mind lately, but since it costs nearly as much as the E-M5 I keep telling myself I need that more than the new lens. Maybe sometime in 2014...