Another G9 for me......

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Trying to decided what to do in today's camera situation has been hard. I am doing more and more video and traveling far less and less. My Gx8 had been a great camera and I feel the Gx85 for travel (by which I mean by airplane to see a good friend) is still "good enough". I no longer do commercial work, but am in the process of taking short trips to finish up a documentary series idea just for you tube. The on and off again sale price of the G9 and it's fantastic abilities as a still and video camera are just too good not to pick a second one up to give me a 5/6 year period in which I just shoot and not worry about what the industry is doing. Over the next year will add either new or used a 7-14 and the 35-100 (the 7-14 being first, the 35-100 second as the f4/5.6 version I have is really great for outdoor work I do).

The more I use the G9 and it's 6K video (H265 with sound when you record 6K photo's) I see for me the real value in this camera. I do some run & gun video but mostly its hand held plus tripod work and on a tripod I often take high RES stills for KB effect. Perhaps I will upgrade the Gx85 to a Gx10 when it comes out, but it has to be very similar in size to the Gx85 which is about as big a travel camera as I want.

I thought about the EM1 III but 6K video is now a tool I can't do without. Most of my stuff is less than the 10 minute limit when I shoot, but certainly less than the 30 minute limit on the 10 bit 4K. I guess where I became a Panasonic fan over the years was in fact the component, and for things like 6K or 8K video you need some size for the heat sync (hard to do in a phone, even hard when you start talking about raw).

I do hope that Om/Em cameras stay in the market but if I need to up grade my cameras I think video features will be the key for me then as it is now.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Trying to decided what to do in today's camera situation has been hard. I am doing more and more video and traveling far less and less. My Gx8 had been a great camera and I feel the Gx85 for travel (by which I mean by airplane to see a good friend) is still "good enough". I no longer do commercial work, but am in the process of taking short trips to finish up a documentary series idea just for you tube. The on and off again sale price of the G9 and it's fantastic abilities as a still and video camera are just too good not to pick a second one up to give me a 5/6 year period in which I just shoot and not worry about what the industry is doing. Over the next year will add either new or used a 7-14 and the 35-100 (the 7-14 being first, the 35-100 second as the f4/5.6 version I have is really great for outdoor work I do).

The more I use the G9 and it's 6K video (H265 with sound when you record 6K photo's) I see for me the real value in this camera. I do some run & gun video but mostly its hand held plus tripod work and on a tripod I often take high RES stills for KB effect. Perhaps I will upgrade the Gx85 to a Gx10 when it comes out, but it has to be very similar in size to the Gx85 which is about as big a travel camera as I want.

I thought about the EM1 III but 6K video is now a tool I can't do without. Most of my stuff is less than the 10 minute limit when I shoot, but certainly less than the 30 minute limit on the 10 bit 4K. I guess where I became a Panasonic fan over the years was in fact the component, and for things like 6K or 8K video you need some size for the heat sync (hard to do in a phone, even hard when you start talking about raw).

I do hope that Om/Em cameras stay in the market but if I need to up grade my cameras I think video features will be the key for me then as it is now.
I've been thinking about something different. I love my G9, and I like the GX9 too, but I want to try a bigger sensor. I am thinking about picking up a used FF and a couple of lenses jut for the heck of it. Not going to go crazy, something from 12-24MP is most likely. I thought about APSC but don't think that would be significant enough to scratch my itch.

I bought my GX as a carry-in-the-car camera to get those opportunity grab-shots, so size isn't really an issue. I thought I may get more into street photography with the smaller range finder style camera, but that just isn't me. The X9 and some seldom used lenses will likely go to finance this.

Having said that, I don't ever see myself getting rid of the G9. I love the camera.

Delb0y

Mu-43 Regular
...on and off again sale price of the G9 and it's fantastic abilities as a still and video camera are just too good not to pick a second one up to give me a 5/6 year period in which I just shoot and not worry about what the industry is doing.

I must confess I do hanker after a G9, but this worries me - do you not think the camera will last half a dozen years, hence the need for a spare?

Interestingly, my most expensive piece of camera gear ever was the 32-100, and I can highly recommend it. Hopefully one day I'll pair it with a G9, too.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No, I think that a G9 could be good for 7 or 8 years. I shoot video and need a Broll camera, the Gx8 didn't have the 4K 60 FPS or 6K 30 fps I need.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I bought a "spare", not because I had any great concern about the G9 lasting that long, but because I like a backup and because you never know. Lenses are the bulk of my "investment" and I think of it as having cheap insurance.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom