1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another FW glitch or a lemon: E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Jul 28, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I've been loving using the E-P3. Having solved the 'nose on screen with VF-2' problem (ie, identified as a known bug), I was hoping that was the end of the anomalies. Nope! I have encountered another issue: freeze up.

I was taking pictures with the Panny 20mm, when suddenly it stopped focusing. Turning off/on the cam had no effect. Changing modes (P, A, S, M, etc) didn't even register on the screen (no VF-2 this time!). Half pressing shutter had no effect. Full press resulted in a picture - after several seconds delay - all the while with no focusing.

I first suspected the lens had failed. Switched to the kit zoom (turning off the cam, of course). When turned back on, there was no image. I thought the lens cap was still on - nope! I switched back to the Pany 20. This time it showed an image, but still wouldn't focus.

I tried both lenses on my E-P2. Worked fine.

Put the Panny back on the E-P3 one last time - now it works fine! So does the kit zoom.

My theory: an interface bug with lenses. Interesting that the Oly kit lens didn't even show an image - as if the cap was on! :confu

This is also a FW bug... or my cam needs to go back to Olympus.

Any thoughts/insights? Any suggestions as to what to try to duplicate the problem?

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this...then it's probably a FW glitch.

Best,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hi Tom

I've had a couple of issues where suddenly I couldn't change the aperture setting with the thumb wheel, and also where I couldn't get shutter release. I haven't replicated it on demand, so I was putting it down to maybe accidentally engaging the touch interface, and not knowing how to get out. I'll keep a closer on it, and try some more testing tomorrow. At no time, though, did I get a black or blank image, so my issue may be unrelated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No such issues so far. I've used the 20 a fair amount, and the 14, the 100-300, and the 14-150. The only thing that looked like a partial freeze up was the whole EVF-touchscreen thing already discussed when turning the thumbwheel didin't do anything because my nose was touching the touchscreen when using the VF2...

-Ray

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    and i thought purple fringing is big issue with the kit zoom... hahah!

i tried the vf-2 with the 17mm and no issue so far. **fingers crossed and knocking the table**

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've had issues with my E-P1 where I couldn't focus a lens or the screen gets really choppy. Ended up cleaning the conacts on the lens and voila, it works.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm wondering if there is a bad copy of the kit lens. I've seen tons of pictures of the kit lens on the E-PL2 and there isn't such an issue. Only thing I can think of is that the microlenses on the sensor are more susceptible.

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks, guys.

Both lenses having problems between power down leads me to suspect the camera contacts, which are spring loaded. I used a Q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol. I cleaned both lens contacts and camera contacts - will see if it happens again.

As Jim says "fingers crossed and knock the table".

8. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    an original oly copied? i hope not... :eek:
    **now all fours are crossed and knocking on the table.**