Another even newer YI M1 review ....

Real Name
Jean
as a travel camera with the new Version 3.2 firmware. Is it better than the original? Is it well suited as a travel camera?

Jim’s Ultimate Travel Camera Kit
Nice work Jim, I wouldn't have considered the YI M1 prior to reading your blog ... the assumptions we make when we don't have all the information.

Although, I prefer to risk my equipment than not bring it with me :)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya, I only got through the first couple of lines and basically lost interest when I got to where it said "I also believe that you should never bring your main camera … because it might be pick pocketed or dropped into a canal. "

What is the point of having a camera if you are afraid to use it anywhere? And why is traveling somehow multiplying the danger of dropping it in a canal or having it stolen? Accidents can happens anywhere as can crime, including where you live. Silly statement. Plus if I felt a place was much more likely to make me the victim of a crime, I would probably just pick another place to visit instead. The planet is full of places to visit, so if you are concerned with one place, then pick another. You are never going to get to them all anyway.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Ya, I only got through the first couple of lines and basically lost interest when I got to where it said "I also believe that you should never bring your main camera … because it might be pick pocketed or dropped into a canal. "

What is the point of having a camera if you are afraid to use it anywhere? And why is traveling somehow multiplying the danger of dropping it in a canal or having it stolen? Accidents can happens anywhere as can crime, including where you live. Silly statement. Plus if I felt a place was much more likely to make me the victim of a crime, I would probably just pick another place to visit instead. The planet is full of places to visit, so if you are concerned with one place, then pick another. You are never going to get to them all anyway.
Hi PakkyT,

While I agree with most of which you wrote, I'm hoping you're just a young guy. You will find learning anything often involves reading things that may not always hold your interest. And crime rates do vary from location to location but it is often compounded if you are unfamiliar with the region and do not speak the language. It is not a silly statement. I should only pick places to visit that have low crime? Well, in this instance I had to speak at a conference so I tried to mix professional responsibilities with some vacation time.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Nice work Jim, I wouldn't have considered the YI M1 prior to reading your blog ... the assumptions we make when we don't have all the information.

I agree!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi PakkyT,

While I agree with most of which you wrote, I'm hoping you're just a young guy. You will find learning anything often involves reading things that may not always hold your interest. And crime rates do vary from location to location but it is often compounded if you are unfamiliar with the region and do not speak the language. It is not a silly statement. I should only pick places to visit that have low crime? Well, in this instance I had to speak at a conference so I tried to mix professional responsibilities with some vacation time.
Hi Jim,

I didn't realize you were the one who wrote it, so I didn't mean to personally attack you. I thought you were sharing another person's post (not from here), so I was a bit more "blunt" than I would have been had I realized. So apologies for that.

But since I did put my foot in my mouth already, might as well chew on it for a bit more...

Not as young as I wish I was still. But I feel people sometimes put more worry on some things while completely ignoring the same type of worry in others. By that I mean, for example, you talk about accidentally dropping in a canal as if being away from home somehow makes the likelihood you will do that greater. But if you were shooting a canal near your home would you not have the same worry?

Is your home region safer than Rome? If you visited a tourist attraction in your home area, would the concern of pickpockets be less than in Rome?

The unfamiliar tends to make people act differently when the "threats" are no worse and often times even almost non-existent compared to other things in their lives they do all the time. Kind of like people who are scared to fly on commercial airlines fearing a crash but have no qualms about driving in a car every single day. Or rides motorcycles? ;)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I live in LA, I have more chance getting jumped by thugs or getting into a confrontation with crazies here. Gotta have your wits no matter where you go! This is why you gotta be ready to either throw it down, or run away really fast!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On a trip to Vietnam a few years ago we did some motor bike tours that went into the less touristed areas and one of the conditions was no handbags or expensive cameras, shoulder bags OK. They said snatch and run from walkers and motor bike riders was common and the older you were the more common. They let me keep my E-P5 in hand as I had a PD wrist strap that they though twas fairly secure.

They indicated they did not want any tourist to loose anything on their watch and get negative reviews etc. Possibly says more about negative reviews on trip advisor that snatch and run thefts.

My daughter is currently working in the UK and often goes across to Europe on time off. She indicates some places like Rome and some of the sea ports, don't carry anything you do not want to loose, and this is from a very young person.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Kind of sad we ended up talking about crime rather than the camera review and images.

Well, sometimes conversations naturally digress but I appreciate you getting us back on topic.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
So you want to be inconspicuous, but you put a Leica sticker on your camera?
That was a joke I started when I first got the camera a while back. Meanwhile in the real world not one person noticed.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
I keep looking at the YI. I know I don't need it, and I don't really want it, but I feel compelled to encourage competition. I'm curious about their 45mm lens too, though I've never seen I one go for cheap enough for me to gamble on it.

About pickpockets: if you look or sound out of place, you're a target. You can dress like the locals (maybe) but the minute you open your mouth, everyone within earshot will know, even if you are fluent in the local tongue.

I take my nice gear on holiday, but I totally get not wanting to take your good gear - if you're going to be worried about your favourite camera getting lifted the whole time, take something else. You'll be able to enjoy your visit more that way! You're on holiday, the purpose is to relax.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom