Another em10 vs gx7 question

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by a_hit_of_meth, Sep 18, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I know what you're thinking but it's not like that. I'm not comparing looks, ergonomics, bigger evf or faster speeds.

I left my house today fully intending to buy a greymarket GX7 for around 412usd, but I came upon an em10 with ez lens for 490.

That's a 78usd difference between two similar bodies. One is greymarket and any issues would cost me signifacntly more to cover at the service center because it's not an official product. The Olympus is an official release locally 12+3 months warranty with a lens I can sell for around 100usd.

I really like the gx7 but buying a grey market one is taking a big chance especially now they are low on stock I don't know if I'll be getting a display or returned unit and there usually no option to return them since the after sales service at the stores that sell grey market is pretty much non existent.
    I like the em10 but I'm not wild about it having come from the em5 which had every known issue wrong with their units go wrong with mine, nearly put me off photography. I know many of those issues don't exist with the em10 but still, I'm reluctant to go back to Oly. One big positive is that their service locally is really good and I get my camera back within 3-5 days.

What do you guys think, am I putting too much stock in the value of a warranty or does the small price difference make the em10 a better choice in terms of value?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the E-M10 is the better camera (and I've owned both):

- Better IBIS
    - Better EVF
    - Nicer handling (IMHO)
    - More features (Live Composite, EFCS (but not fully elec shutter))

All cameras have issues. My E-M5 is now three years old, was bought used and has had regular use in adverse conditions. Problems to date? - none.

So, my advice is - go for it!
  3. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    Depends. if you'd want a GX7 for reasons of style, formfactor, offset viewfinder, user interface, aperture ring compatability etc then an EM10 is of no use to you.

Id ask myself what drew me to the Gx7 and then work out if the Oly can meet those needs.

Both are fine fine camera's, are they not?
  4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Aaaargh! You guys with your quick, logical responses that make sense are no help to me! Or maybe there's no helping me at all:D

I feel like I'm actually on meth again. I've had two ice teas and four coffee's in the past three and a half ours and I forgot to eat lunch because I've been going back and forth over which of these two cameras to get. Both of which I'm very familiar with and and already gone over the pro's and con's of each at least a dozen times.

I've thought about it some more. Even though I slightly prefer the GX7 overall and have been meaning to get it since last year, the fact that the em10 has dropped down to the price range I set for myself, plus the lens and warranty make it a really good deal and difficult to overlook.

I prefer the looks and ergonomics of the GX7 as well as the video. Not that it matters but I think the GX7 at this point in time still holds a slightly higher resale value.
    The Em10 is fine but I find oly bodies, especially the ones with the prisms, draw a bit more attraction to themselves when taking shots on the street than other cameras.

Here's where I am now
    Oly em10 490usd

GX7 + used 14-42 around 470 or so, but without warranty.

I'm putting a lot of stock into the warranty with the em10. Ironically, it's my past issues with Oly bodies (PL3 and Em5), that make me appreciate the warranty more.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    vote for EM10. Olympus color really awesome. Have been using Panasonic GM1, i really missed the Olympus color.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Flip a coin, go out and buy it - and then relax! Neither is a bad choice.
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Poor guy. The Oly has a warranty, but the poor durability and reliability of your EM5 and PL3 has spooked you. Panasonic has a good reputation for quality, but you would get it with no warranty. Hard to give advice on this one... it actually sounds like a psychological issue more than a camera issue (no judgement, I would have the same reservations). I will say this... the GX7 is a better featured camera in numerous ways (silent mode, faster shutter, better video), and Panasonic has a well deserved reputation for reliability... but no manufacturer bats 100%. You gotta decide if you want to roll the dice. On the other hand, getting the EM10 (which is your second choice) because it has a warranty, then actually having to use the warranty, will likely be a super frustrating experience as well. Since you prefer the GX7, how much extra would it be to get one with a warranty?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Buy the EM-10 because I say so, and I know all.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys, I've actually allowed myself to calm down a bit since then. Had 2 liters of water and some wine with dinner to relax a bit.

I was in a bit of a hurry earlier because the store offering the Em10's only has three left. I've decided to wait until tomorrow and see what's available. I don't want to force myself into a decision based on that.

I actually almost pulled the trigger on a GX7 earlier this month but the store that I first went to which claimed they had it in stock, turned out not to have it after making me wait 20 mins. I tried another store in the same area that didn't have it the week before when I checked, but had it when I was passing by that time. Their GX7 looked like it had been used or returned with oily smudges that wouldn't wipe off the front, and the screen protector already placed on the LCD so I didn't even bother trying that one.
    This is just how local stores operate, trying to get away with as much as they can, it's really up to the consumer to make sure they aren't getting fooled.

You can see based on my experience why I'm so paranoid and a little reluctant to go ahead with a grey market one. I trust the Panasonic brand to be more reliable and less prone to issues than Oly, (just my own opinion, not trying to start a debate on that)but in case something does happen, parallel products cost around 30% more for labor and parts so that's one more thing to consider. The GX7 in particular being an older model has, in my mind, a higher risk of being a used or returned unit. I probably wouldn't be this careful if it were a newer model.

There is still one retailer left that still stock the official GX7's but they are on back order and costs

I actually like the EM10, just not wanting to get something so similar to my last camera I tried to avoid it. My stance has been softening on it since my first failed attempt to buy the GX7. Ergonomics aren't that great but I actually prefer the positioning of the EVF, the fact that you can see the IBIS effect in the EVF or LCD while composing the shot, and the graphic or animation for the level is much less obtrusive or prominent than the GX7 which takes up the whole width of the screen with that green line like something off the instrument panel from an aircraft.

I'm still leaning towards the Panasonic right now, who knows what I'll be leaning towards in the morning. My previous bad experiences with QC and reliability with Oly notwithstanding, I don't think I'll have regrets if I decide tomorrow to go with the Em10, especially at this price which is over 250usd cheaper than any other retailer right now, cheaper than the PL7 too.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    One thing to consider is just buying a used GX7. I'm guessing you are not in the US, so I have no clue on local pricing, but in the US you'd be looking at maybe $325.

FWIW, I'd choose the GX7 over the E-M10. Owned them both. I actually prefer the E-P5 and the E-M5 over both, but that is another thread I suppose. :)
  11. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for the sympathy. lol.

Isn't the 0 sec anti shock or efcs the same thing as silent mode on the Pana? I never really understood that but as long as they do the same thing to get rid of the shutter shock it's not important for me to have a silent mode.

@ Demiro, used GX7's are about the same price and are all grey market. For some reason whenever I come across someone selling an official GX7 (official but past the warranty), they usually cost more than the new grey market ones. I've seen them avaiable used from local sites but prices aren't that far off and I really prefer to be able to have a good look and check it myself before making a purchase.
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    My advice: Stop doing meth.

Both are wonderful cameras, I'd be happy to own either one.
  13. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm not on meth. Haven't touched the stuff since 06, not that I'm keeping track.

Thanks for the contributions guys, votes have been tallied - not that they matter with the way I've been going back and forth, your input has certainly helped knowing some of you share the same concerns as me under the same circumstances. Still not sure at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up getting an XBOX or PS4 instead.
  14. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have a GX7 and I would usually recommend it without any hesitation, on this occasion I am going to recommend the EM10 for two reasons.
    1) It has warranty
    2) You say there is an Olympus service centre that is local and good
    This is for your peace of mind, I have heard horror stories from people buying grey market goods.
    You can't go wrong with either camera, they're both winners.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. I got one. Went with the "safer" choice in my head and I don't regret it at all.

I had one last look at the GX7 at the parallel stores to try and convince myself to go for the model I had lusted for, for over a year but in the end, the lack of that reassurance or peace of mind was just too much for me to risk for an older model that has been around for a while. The store guys also indicated that while their stock was new, it was the one on display (it took several times asking) which did not help with my general overall nervousness and reluctance to go ahead with that.

It wasn't as smooth as I wanted though, the first Em10 I almost pulled the trigger on, after checking everything and having the guy put on the screen protector, turned out to have a scratch on the right side prism and so did the second one, so I was pretty nervous waiting for the third while the guy went out to get it from behind the glass. Thankfully it was fine and everything worked good. There is a slight bump in the line across the bottom plate (a topic for another thread) but it seems purely cosmetic and doesn't seem indicative of any hard impact. I waited three hours and four minutes after getting home for the battery to charge and I'm just posting this thread before going out for a walk.

Thanks again for all your valuable input on this in the last 24 hours or so.
  16. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    If its a money thing and you want US GX7 I recommend buyiong used from Keh Camera. I biought mine from them for $329
    • Winner Winner x 1