Another ebay scammer fails.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Shield, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Sold a used Canon HF-G10 on ebay to a guy in Texas. Unit sold for $1279. Sent out Tuesday morning via USPS priority with delivery confirmation and insurance.
    Got an email Wed night that the buyer did a Paypal chargeback, claiming the purchase was "not authorized". Yet Thursday they signed for and accepted the package.

Spoke to Paypal about this, and I will be covered by the Seller protection plan, only because I provided proof that I sent the package. Had I not checked the "delivery confirmation" box in the Paypal shipping dialogue box, I would have been screwed.

So, any time you sell anything on ebay, only:
    Ship to a verified address
    Do not ship to alternative addresses
    Ship with a carrier that provides full tracking and delivery information. This is key - I have shipped stuff before without checking the delivery confirmation box.

This is frustrating as I truly feel this guy was hoping I'd send it without tracking, and then I'd be unable to prove I'd shipped it. Also frustrating that I cannot leave negative feedback for this guy, warning others, nor will I have access to the $1279 for at least 10 days while Paypal's fraud department wraps up their investigation.

What is wrong with people?

• Like Like x 4
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for sharing the information and glad you were protected. I have never had an issue, but I have heard of this problem before. If someone does not have a lot of feedback, I usually tell them I wait two business days to ship after receiving the paypal, which gives it time to be transferred to my bank account. I am not sure how that would work on a chargeback, but it makes me feel a little better.

3. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    My Paypal account is sitting at negative $1200 right now; that's what happens. I'm 38 and never paid a bill late in my life, have a 800+ credit score, but yet my funds are tied up for 10 days while Paypal concludes their investigation. Even if you wait 2 days it doesn't matter; once you ship it (if using USPS) it's gone. You can pull things back with Fedex and UPS, but you'll pay for it.
    Had I not checked that little button to pay for delivery confirmation, I'd have been out the money and the camera. I'd be heading to Texas this weekend. :mad:

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even though you can't leave negative feedback, I think you can leave neutral with a nasty comment. Also file a complaint with ebay. They *might* take some action against the guy.

5. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Filed the complaint this morning with Ebay. My only choices for feedback for him are "Positive" or "Leave feedback later".

The ebay user id was 676007982.
    eBay My World - 676007982

100% feedback, member since 2005. :mad:

6. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. Sorry that you have to go through this aggravation. Did the buyer have any history on eBay? I'm a little nervous now that I have a dslr on ebay.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I wonder if you could contact his/ her local law enforcement department. Using the post office for interstate fraud is a federal offense.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Just checked his feedback link - I didn't realize you could set your feedback to "private" so others cannot read the comments. Definitely wait to leave eBay feedback until after the eBay/PayPal cases have run their course. It seems odd that you cannot leave negative feedback but perhaps you have to wait until more time has passed from the end of the auction.

I had a case where the seller sent me a fungus-ridden lens that he had described as "like new" and I was able to leave negative feedback after eBay refunded my money. Your case may be different since you are the seller, but just my $0.02

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Than ks for sharing the scammers use id. I've added him/her to my blocked bidder list. Of course they are hiding behind private feedback. I'm sure they have received "positive" feedback where people have basically said....."This person is a crook".

10. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Why can't you leave negative feedback?

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    eBay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback a couple years back.....only the buyer can leave negative feedback. The system is broken.

12. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Times are tough .. got to be on the watch for every kind of scammer today .. not only Ebay but everything .. need to be vigilant to keep yourself protected.

Shield, hopefully Paypal will come through for you and you will get your money, but the aggravation is a pain in the b*&#

Thanks for posting this info .. will always watch out when selling stuff.

Another thing I have learned is to use Paypal the correct way ..ie do not fall in the Paypal Gift trap ... as a seller eat the 3% fee .. it is well worth the protection.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I understand why ebay did it: Too many buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback for a bad seller because of fear of retaliatory feedback. Unfortunately, their solution created more problems.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The problems created are far more devastating.

I don't know why it should be so difficult. Ebay OWNS Paypal. There should be some sort of trigger event when a chargeback is filed and the seller has not only proof of mailing but PROOF OF DELIVERY..... instant removal.....period. No questions asked.

When I catch someone stealing at my store, I don't tell them to put it back and allow them to keep shopping in my store. I kick them out for life and share a description of the thief with my employees.

There is nothing lower than a thief.

• Like Like x 1
  15. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Not true. As long as you provide a proof the package was delivered you should be covered by PayPal protection. Before or after the crook files a complain, it doesn't really matter. It's not like PayPal opens and closes the case the same day. It takes them weeks to close a case. Besides, they give you a chance to explain the situation even if you forgot to check that shipping box.

16. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    It is true. When you print a label online through Paypal, you do not get tracking information unless you use the "Delivery Confirmation" option. With UPS/Fedex you always get tracking information.

17. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Youry - Simulate shipping something on Paypal. You'll see this dialogue:

Shipment Options

Mailing dateMore info

Delivery confirmationFREE$0.19 USDNote: Delivery Confirmation is FREE with the purchase of Signature Confirmation. Also, Delivery Confirmation can only be used on packages ("Parcels"), not on letters, or large envelopes ("flats").
    Signature confirmationSignature confirmation
    Yes ($2.10 USD) No

Note: Signature of receipt is available upon request for Express Mail®.

Signature confirmationSignature Proof of Delivery available upon request.

Note: Signature Confirmation is required to qualify for the Seller Protection Policy on shipments valued at more than $250.00 USD

18. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Curious... If you ship through USPS online (through Paypal or directly through USPS) then Delivery Conf is free and everytime I have shipped something, it was automatically checked.

Why on earth would you uncheck that?

Unless you are talking about Signature Confirmation, which is something completely different.

19. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    My funds are back in my account already! Chalk one up for Paypal being quick!

Just got this email:

We have completed our investigation of the transaction below and were unable to find evidence of unauthorized access to the buyer’s account. This case was denied to the buyer and no funds were recovered from your account.

:thumbup:

20. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    If it's over $250, you must use Signature Confirmation to qualify for seller protection.