1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another 'Do I need a lens hood?' Thread. 14mm, 20mm and 45mm?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Smashatom, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    I'm sure there are loads of these topics but I'm struggling to find one which helps me.

I'm wondering whether I need / would benefit from lens hoods? I'm thinking for the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm, but then I don't think I've ever experienced any problems so I'm not sure if it would just be a waste of money.

It would be good to hear from people with a lot of experience with these lenses and what they think of hoods.

Cheers,

Sam

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes, I put hoods on all my lenses... for added shade and protection.

Just yesterday, while I was trying to touch some stingray in a fish tank my camera decided to slide from my side all the way to the front and hit the concrete tiles of the fish tank.The camera was E-M5 + 75mm f/1.8...Good thing I had my hood on and it absorbed the hit. if I did not have a lens hood on, I probably would have damaged my 75mm f/1.8 already.

3. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Agreed 100%. When do I ever disagree with monk3y tho? :p

4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    monk3y is 'da man.

Bear in mind other hazards like twigs in the brush. In those cases, an Op-Tech hood hat can help. It is neoprene that stretches over the hood and gives some bump and intrusion protection. I started using hood hats when shooting instead of relying on lens caps due to the fumble factor. It helps with dual bodies. The unused body can have the hat on it while you're going after subjects with the other camera in hand.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    You can get very nice, sturdy lens hoods for the 14 and 20 (all metal built) on ebay for about $4 each. At that price I feel it's a no-brainer. Personally I think lens hoods offer better protection than UV filters on the front, but that's a debate that's been done to death.

6. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    haha:wink: I'm just usually stating the facts/reality.:biggrin: glad you agree with me.

7. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Ah thank god you had one on! That would of been a nightmare.

I hadn't really thought about them in terms of protection. Thing is in England you can't get them as cheap, the cheapest for the 45mm is about £15 and for the 20mm and 14mm about £12. Which isn't that expensive, but I was unsure if they would make any difference to my images...?

8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    yes, the loud thud really scared me... and it was a while before I was able to hold the camera coz my hands were wet. :mad: When I checked thank god it was only the hood. It hit the corner tile of the concrete tank.

Hoods only make a difference in IQ when in difficult lighting conditions like direct light source and such IMHO... but I use them more for protection in mind.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    RainbowImaging has one for $5 that fits both the 14 and 20mm and does not vignette with either. I can strongly recommend this one:

Metal 46mm Vented D Hood Leica Zeiss Voigtlander Lens | eBay

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm using this one (I didn't buy from this seller) which is listed at 3.99. With shipping and whatnot it probably comes out to the same. I got this one because I liked the look of it.

There's a couple different designs, and they all seem to be full metal design - quite nice. Around USD5 or £2-3. Worth a look.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I didn't like that one because the venting extends to the area in front of the lens, so light that could cause flaring can get through, thus defeating the purpose of a lens hood.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a hood for the 45mm but not the 20mm or 14mm. I haven't noticed much flare with the 20mm or 14mm. The advantage of keeping a pancake as pancake-ish as I can, for me, far outweighs what little flare reduction required by these lenses. (I do use protective fliters on all my lenses.)

Gary

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Flare protection is not the only purpose of a lens hood - I really only bought it for protection.

14. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Which lens hood do you use on your 45mm? Can you still put the cap on the lens with the hood in place?

I've actually found these cheaper ones for the 20mm and 14mm on eBay now, which is good. Still not as cheap as you guys pay though! Do the caps fit on the 20 and 14 with these vented hoods?

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use the Oly hood on the 45mm.

16. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Ah right, can you still get the cap on with that one?

17. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Gary -Thanks for your response. I was going to write Sam's thread myself had he not beat me to it. I just received the 20, which came with 2 hoods. I sat on the fence nearly 2 years trying to decide on the purchase. I've had many low light shoots requiring just a few mm less than my 25/1.4, but the purchase seemed imperative, relatetive to my recent Ol' Farts thread.

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In my experience, the 20mm lens indeed needs a hood — without it often shows green ghosts with sun outside of the frame.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've just ripped apart my office (where I keep my camera stuff) all my bags and drawers and I cannot find the cap. I could easily fit a Fuji cap through the lens hood opening and cap the lens with the hood on. The Fuji cap is center-pinched.

Gary

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've never seen that. Okay, 50:50 so far on the hood. My youngest has that lens now so I cannot attempt to replicate the green ghosts.

Anybody else have green ghosts?