1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another convert

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Bichon, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Bichon

Bichon New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    I'm a casual photographer (with some stock experience) who is tired of lugging my d7000/18-200mm around the world with me. So I'm looking for a high end small camera.
    So far the omd ($$$$ouch$$$) looks the best since I don't travel with a tripod and rain/snow is sometimes in the picture. And water from splashy boats.
    Glad to be here

I went thru a over-doing-it HDR phase , and I'm trying to slowly kick the habit and get more subdued looks , so don't get scared by some of my work. :)
    http://intellibytephoto.com

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Welcome! I, too, had a D7000 and a few lenses, including the 18-200. Also had a high-end tripod and ballhead. And backache ...

Moved to an EM5 and soon after sold all my Nikon gear, including the tripod. Although I kept my Fuji X100, for when I travel really light.

Enjoy your m43 gear!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum!

4. Bichon

Bichon New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    Thank you all ! When I toss out my d7000 , I'll alert everyone here of my address and the day when the garbage is picked up.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Bichon!

The price of :43: gear can seem like a bargain when compared to, for instance, the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII lens :smile:.

There are some true bargains such as the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm lenses, and the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses. The Sigma 60mm at $239 is quite nice (but I'm hoping that they will have a Black Friday deal; the 19mm and 30mm lenses are only $199). Of course you'd want to check out reviews and example photos before purchasing and this forum has great sections for that.

I moved to Olympus (the OM-D EM-5) from Nikon (D300) and the difference in weight between a gripped EM-5 and a gripped D300 was enough to justify the move for me.

Enjoy your new gear! (And remember that not all :43: are weather proof and that ALL of the covers (hot shoe, grip connection, etc.) must be on the OM-D to maintain weather protection).

Regards,

Jim

6. Bichon

Bichon New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    Thanx Jim ! Very re-assuring .

Steve