Another Canon refugee!

jacobm

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello all- My name is Jacob and I figure now's a good time to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a little while, but finally created an account as I have decided to buy an EM1.1 to replace my Canon 7Dmk1. I'm not planning to get rid of my Canon gear, but it'll definitely be replaced as my daily driver equipment by m43. I just got tired of lugging around the weight, and I'd like to play with adapted lenses as well, just for fun, something I'd have a hard time doing on the 7D. Another reason for the switch is a good friend of mine has also switched to Olympus, and the appeal of being able to share lenses and adapters and such is a strong one.

I'm excited to be getting my hands on the system within a few weeks to try it out. I mainly take pictures of structural and wildland fires, as well as car accidents and that sort of thing, so it may be a little while before I get to put the new gear through its paces. These shoots are impossible to plan for without committing some kind of felony, so I'll just have to be patient.

Anyway, I'm glad to be coming over to the m43 family. I feel like Canon isn't doing enough new and exciting things that really benefit me in my photography, and I feel limited by my options there. It seems like m43 has a much wider variety of options for me to explore and experiment with.

jacobm

Mu-43 Rookie
@Carbonman I plan to! One thing I'm looking forward to is the amount of customization that can be done on the Olympus cameras. It'll be nice to set everything up how I want it.

@TNcasual Thanks for the welcome!

jacobm

Mu-43 Rookie
Welcome. Those subjects you like to shoot sound a bit ... how can I put this.. unusual?

They certainly are, but I really enjoy them. It's pretty niche, and very challenging to shoot properly. But to explain it to people, I usually tell them a few things: I never grew out of my childhood love of big shiny fire trucks. I don't want anyone's house to burn down, but if it does I want to be there. And lastly, I recommend they watch "Shot in the Dark" on Netflix. It follows "stringers", or freelance videographers capturing LA's car accidents, murders, robberies, etc. Most of the people portrayed in the show are not good role models, but I think it does capture the drive to capture images of things most people don't want to think about. I identify mainly with the Raishbrook brothers portrayed there, because I feel they go about their work in the most ethical and least offensive way of the three groups shown. Part of why I want to get into m43 is the smaller gear is less intrusive on a scene. I never take pictures of victims, because my goal with my work is to portray the helpers doing their work, in an as visually pleasing and interesting way as I can. Like Mr. Rogers said: Look for the helpers. At some point I'll post some examples of what I do on here, or maybe link to my portfolio site in my sig. (It's under my real name, so I'm hesitant to post it just yet).

Bill Smith

Mu-43 Regular
Hello all- My name is Jacob and I figure now's a good time to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a little while, but finally created an account as I have decided to buy an EM1.1 to replace my Canon 7Dmk1. I'm not planning to get rid of my Canon gear, but it'll definitely be replaced as my daily driver equipment by m43. I just got tired of lugging around the weight, and I'd like to play with adapted lenses as well, just for fun, something I'd have a hard time doing on the 7D. Another reason for the switch is a good friend of mine has also switched to Olympus, and the appeal of being able to share lenses and adapters and such is a strong one.

I'm excited to be getting my hands on the system within a few weeks to try it out. I mainly take pictures of structural and wildland fires, as well as car accidents and that sort of thing, so it may be a little while before I get to put the new gear through its paces. These shoots are impossible to plan for without committing some kind of felony, so I'll just have to be patient.

Anyway, I'm glad to be coming over to the m43 family. I feel like Canon isn't doing enough new and exciting things that really benefit me in my photography, and I feel limited by my options there. It seems like m43 has a much wider variety of options for me to explore and experiment with.
Welcome to the group Jacob. I to came from Canon 7D and 100-400mm L series for pretty much the same reasons. Except I went to Panasonic G85 and the 100-300mm version ii. Dont regret leaving Canon for one second.

They certainly are, but I really enjoy them. It's pretty niche, and very challenging to shoot properly. But to explain it to people, I usually tell them a few things: I never grew out of my childhood love of big shiny fire trucks. I don't want anyone's house to burn down, but if it does I want to be there. And lastly, I recommend they watch "Shot in the Dark" on Netflix. It follows "stringers", or freelance videographers capturing LA's car accidents, murders, robberies, etc. Most of the people portrayed in the show are not good role models, but I think it does capture the drive to capture images of things most people don't want to think about. I identify mainly with the Raishbrook brothers portrayed there, because I feel they go about their work in the most ethical and least offensive way of the three groups shown. Part of why I want to get into m43 is the smaller gear is less intrusive on a scene. I never take pictures of victims, because my goal with my work is to portray the helpers doing their work, in an as visually pleasing and interesting way as I can. Like Mr. Rogers said: Look for the helpers. At some point I'll post some examples of what I do on here, or maybe link to my portfolio site in my sig. (It's under my real name, so I'm hesitant to post it just yet).
So... Nightcrawler (the movie)?

jacobm

Mu-43 Rookie
Welcome Weegee! :laugh:
F8 and be there! Which in new money is pretty close to my preferred F2.8 and be there!

Welcome to the group Jacob. I to came from Canon 7D and 100-400mm L series for pretty much the same reasons. Except I went to Panasonic G85 and the 100-300mm version ii. Dont regret leaving Canon for one second.
My friend recently switched from Nikon to Olympus, and had serious reservations about it, but in the 3 weeks since getting his EM5.1 and 45mm 1.8 he hasn't touched his Nikon gear, despite half a dozen shoots in his studio. I think that says a lot. I'm very excited.

So... Nightcrawler (the movie)?
...yes. Though I don't think I give off a homicidal psychopath vibe, a lot of people do make the comparison. By the way, would anyone like to be part of a new and exciting opportunity in TV news?

After seeing Shot in the Dark, I looked up the Raishbrook brothers and it turns out they did consult on Nightcrawler, which does happen to be one of my favorite movies.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom