Another camera?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Kpfeifle, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hi All,

So I have had the GX7 basically since it came out...really like this little camera and have bonded well with it. However, since I shoot with mostly primes, and mostly olympus primes at that, I have a nagging thought in the back of my head that I should try a 5 axis stablished body from Olympus. Would it be crazy to pick up a used OMD EM-5 from buy/sell/trade? Would probably not be interested in the new mark II, as I think I might spring for the em-1 II when that finally comes this is basically a stop gap. Would probably also sell one of the two that I did not like, as I would probably only keep one body.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Not crazy at all. I find the 5-axis IBIS a wonderful feature to have. I prefer the form factor and the button placement of the OMD bodies over the Panny bodies. Once the EM1 mk II arrives, I doubt the EM5 mk 1 will be worth a whole lot, but it would make for a nice backup or smaller form factor body when compared to the EM1 body style. Weather sealing is nice to have as well. Not sure if the GX7 is weather sealed or not.
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    not that this one guy is definitive, but one blogger (link below) felt the GX-7 stabilization was in most situations better than the EM-5's. I don't have the GX-7, but I will say that either my EM-5's IBIS is faulty (I actually think it isnt working at all), or my EM-1 absolutely blows it away. Since the EM-5 II is supposed to be better than them all, and IBIS is the main reason for your question, I would say wait until the EM-1 II.

4. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    East Idaho
    I don't have an E-M5, but I do have the GX7, E-M10, and E-M1 and I get better results from the E-M10 IBIS than the GX7. Maybe a used or refurbished E-M10.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This alone would tell me to stick with the GX7 .... especially since it already has in-body image stabilization.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I basically agree with @usayit@usayit that you should probably just stick with what you have if it's working for you.

That said, used E-M5s have come down in price to the point that it wouldn't be a major financial investment just to satisfy your Olympus curiosity especially if you're patient in buying and selling (whichever body you choose to give up). Of course the risk is that you decide you like them both and are then "stuck" with two bodies.;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for all the replies! I have a few things to think about.

8. free2fish

free2fish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    I own both the GX7 and recently purchased the EM1 . The two compliment each other nicely. Living in Colorado, the weather sealing on the EM1 is huge but the compactness of the GX7 for day to day use is a joy. I'm keeping both for a long time to come!
  9. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

That actually makes a lot of sense, just wish they made some weather sealed prime lenses other then the 60mm macro!