1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another boring travel advice

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kau, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kau

kau Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    You guy's must be rather bored with this question again! Fact is, wife and I will be having short tour of Germany in a couple of months. In the past I have travelled with just a so called 10x travel 'super zoom' in my pocket. Now that I have an EPL1 (which has done little else than shooting garden flowers and family functions) I thought I should bring it along. As you know I have only the kit zoom (can't borrow my son and daughter's lenses!). Heritage lenses are out. Too heavy and clumsy. Same reason I never bought a DSLR. Suggestions for travelling light?:confused:

2. To be honest I'm not really a very good advocate of travelling light. Every time I have been overseas I have carried a Canon DSLR with at least three lenses and I don't regret for a second carrying the best gear that I had available at the time regardless of the weight. Next time I have the oppurtunity to travel I am going to have to make the tough decision between a system that I have used and trusted for so long (Canon) and my lighter Micro 4/3 gear. When my only Micro 4/3 camera was the E-P1 I would have gone with the Canon gear, but now with my GH1 making up the difference with what I would expect from a DSLR, the thought of travelling slightly lighter with no real downside starts to look like a good option.

I suppose that doesn't really answer your question, but for me travelling light is only my second-most important consideration.

3. Andrew Riddell

Andrew Riddell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2010
    London
    Hi Kau,

I presume from your post that you have the 14-42mm zoom (which should not be under-rated), but I don't know what other lenses you may have access to (or your budget for buying others). Also, I don't know where you're going in Germany (big place, if not as big as Aus!) or what you want to shoot.

If you're into city architecture (as I am), you'd find the Panny 7-14mm invaluable (and it meshes well with the kit lens). Yes, it's expensive, but it's f.4 across the range and its quality is up there with the Oly FT equivalent (which I used to have). The Oly 9-18mm has a less wide range, but that may not matter to you.

Both of these are light, although you won't be able to put them inyour pocket!

As far as telephotos are concerned, once again, I don't know what you think you need. Before I downsized to MFT, I was using the Oly 50-200mm and 70-300mm. However, I'm now using the FT 40-150mm (with an adaptor) and finding that I rarely need a longer lens.

Hope this helps, but feel free to respond and focus the discussion.

Regards,

Andrew

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I travel A LOT and take the following: GF1, 8FE, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, 45-200, and 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 (four thirds lens with adapter). On every trip I have used every lens.

The fast 20 is THE lens for indoors - museums, churches, etc.

The 45-200 is probably the best bang-for-the-buck lens in the arsenal, and gives you the reach to isolate architectural details.

The 8mm fisheye gets an angle of view unmatchable by rectilinear lenses, and has turned out to be a fantastic flower lens since it's close focus is essentially in contact with the subject.

The 45 is an amazing lens for image quality, but will probably be replaced when they come out with a bright zoom.

The 14-50 is a fine lens, but it's hard to use on the GF1 without AF shooting from moving cars as I frequently do.

There are 2 10x super zooms available also, one from Panny and one from Oly. Image quality is very good, but not quite as good as the primes.

5. kau

kau Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you for your response. Like most travellers to Germany, architecture and landscape would be the target. Of course there will be a lot of indoor shots: Churches etc. I thoroughly agree with your recommendation of the 9-18 ultrawide. It is light and compact. Which would you prefer for indoors: the 20/1.7 or the 14/2.5?? I don't think the Oly 12mm could make it to Australia in 2 months. Thanks in advance.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    20/1.7 - you can always stitch to get the wider field of view. Even at f/1.7, sometimes you end up with a higher ISO than you would like inside a dark church

7. kau

kau Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks everyone. Will be placing an order for the Oly 9-18 and the Pan 20. For the long end of the zoom range, I shall still carry the Lumix travel superzoom in my coat pocket -- feel safer with a 'backup' camera should the main camera/battery die.:smile:

8. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I went around the world with the 14-45 and my 20mm, I didn't need the 20mm and next time will only take one lens.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    If you want a backup, buy a second m4/3 body and have one lens on each camera. Saves from changing lenses.

10. kau

kau Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Good point. Thanks. Shall give that consideration.
    Hope to post some photos when I get back.