1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another beautiful, intriguing model portrait

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Just love her expression. Kinda Vogue-ish?

Shot with my Panasonich GH2 w/ the Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm mkII lens. I was surprised how sharp the photo was. So sharp that I had to soften the skin texture =D

• Like Like x 3
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Her eyes don't match. Creepy...

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Major Magee, you get easily creeped out by fingers and eyes, don't you, lol? Same type of comment on my other photo :p

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Overdone models must be my clown phobia. I don't have this problem with looking at real people.

Seriously, what real person ever pinches their second and fourth fingers together with the middle finger underneath. (As shown in the image from the other thread)

5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I kinda agree.. her eyes look really weird :confused:

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Your photography is really quite good by the way. It's only that they're captured so well that the flaws in the models jump off the page at me.

7. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    It's not about the model being overdone, like

Well, sometimes, the challenge with working with people in general is the timing of capturing not just the right expression, but also the right micro-expression. Even in directing a model to hold that look, they still unconsciously move little things, like the eyes/eyebrows (in this case, she was kinda getting into that smirk mode that raises an eyebrow and eye), or even the fingers, (which in the other case was due to moving the plant around, just happen to catch the her fingers in the wrong timing compared to the rest of her)

Of course, what I probably should have done is not just take 2-3 photos of that right expression, but take 5-7 photos, just to get that right look. I do use Photoshop to layer mask in an eye, a nose, a mouth, or even an entire arm from another similar photos just to balance out that look. It's compositing.

This photo of mine, for example, was composed of not 3 different photos, but 8 photos altogether:

6331824782_94a64c4a0d_o.

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I recropped the original image slightly. I think it looks better now =D

9. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I think you should smooth the skin some more