Another bag question...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pdk42, Mar 14, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know there must be a million and one bag threads, but I can't find an obvious answer to what I'm looking for, so maybe someone can help. I'm migrating from Canon FF gear to Oly mft and am planning on a kit something like this:

- Oly 9-18 or Panasonic 12-35 (can't make my mind up - I know they're different ranges, but I can't justify both)
    - Oly 17/1.8
    - Oly 45/1.8
    - Oly 40-150 or Panasonic 45-175 (again, can't make my mind up)
    - Samyang 7.5 fisheye
    - E-M5
    - E-PL5

Basically, 2 bodies and 5 lenses. I'd also like to take an iPad with me too. Do any of you have a similar sized kit and if so, what bag do you use?

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I would like to help you, but Crumpler is the only brand of camera bags I've used..

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    In no particular order:

Domke F-5XC without the iPad
    Think Tank Retrospective 5 with a mini iPad

With the 10" iPad
    Timbuk2 Snoop Camera XS
    Think Tank Retrospective 7
    Domke F-8## Satchels
    Tenba Photo/Laptop Messenger Bag Mini

This is a long thread but there are a lot of sample images in ti:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I've got a slightly bigger kit than you describe (darn you, cheap deals) and it all fits well in a Crumpler 6 million dollar home (an older version that was at a discount. the new one is a bit better with tripod straps on it). I have been packing my whole kit (see my signature) minus the P14-42 in the bag. It would fit too, but it seems a little too redundant to bring along. With a little shifting, a flash would fit was well. I think that a 4 or 5 million dollar home would work well for your proposed kit.

Most of the other bags that I've had were for SLRs and would be too big for any m43 kit. There are a lot of good choices, but there is still a lack of bags designed specifically for mirrorless.

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Exactly the thread for me. I've been looking at the crumpler 6 MDH and it seems to fit the bill for my kit. I want to carry both my EM5 and EP5 with lenses attached, plus the residue of the lenses listed in my sig below.

Q? please: What's the padding like at the sides, front and back? I've watched YouTube and read reports, but little mention. Feedback from a user on the forum would be great. Many thanks.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    the 6MDH has thin padding at the font/sides/back. It's enough for me, and I think you're getting pretty bulky if you want more padding than this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It's still waaay thicker than what you'd typically get from one of the padded Domkes though. I have found though that Crumpler dividers have become less padded over the years. The padded dividers on my 11 year old 6MDH are softer (And show no plastic). My newer Crumpler insert and my wife's 4MDH have dividers that are padded while showing the plastic hardening material on the sides.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    A Thinktank Retro 7 would do you well. Mine carries an EM-5, 14, 25, 60, 85mm Samyang, 100-300, fl-600r flash. It has a pocket for an ipad too.

9. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    If you have an iPad mini, then this is the bomb: Tenba Messenger Small Camera Bag

For a regular iPad, I would strongly recommend Tenba Messenger Mini.

Both should fit your setup.
    They're indestructible, extremely well designed, the ICU is removable (!) so you can use it in another bag if you so desire, and most important, they are easy on the budget (think LowePro but better thought.)

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks guys, I must say I like the look of the Tenba messenger. But rather than guess, I think I might model my kit in pro eng and do similar with the bag(s). I only want to buy one, no more, so need to get it right second time (already have a lowepro passport which is far too small).
    Padding is important for shock absorbing, so the 6MDH might be ruled out, thanks to the feedback.

11. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I had the Tenba mini messenger, it is a nice bag. Tenba has a new line that looks very interesting. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007032-REG/tenba_638_371_dna_11_graphite_messenger.html And, yes, Steve Huff has made a review of it.

Timbuk2 has recently tweaked their Snoop collection. http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/snoop-slr-camera-case-messenger-bag I use the Snoop insert in a non-Snoop Timbuk2 bag when I can as much gear as the OP and I always carry an iPad. If I had to do it over from scratch, I would pick up the new Snoop, size small.

13. mossback

mossback New to Mu-43

May 23, 2011
    I had the Tenba Mini for about a year. It's a great bag and beautifully made. I think it will easily hold all your gear.

The only thing I don't like about the Tenba is that it is a bit stiff with the camera insert in place, but this is true for most photo messenger bags.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    As a slightly less 'popular' alternative, one of the F-stop shoulder bags (if that's the style you're looking for). Fairly priced, very nicely made, and available in various styles - I have the Bandon (Millar series), which is vintage-ish, will easily fit all of your gear, and is a good bit narrower than most bags built for DSLRs. I find most of the ThinkTank shoulder bags too deep/bulky. There's also the Ando 13 (mountain series) and the District 13 for slightly more modern takes. The Bandon I have is fairly flexible with the (removable) insert, and if not overstuffed (which your gear will not do) will mold a little. Not as much as a Domke, but it's more heavily padded.

15. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I can echo comments above and can vouch for the Tenba Mini Messenger bag. I have a very similar kit (iPad, E-M5, 5 similar lenses, and flash, and can add a second small body as needed) and find that the Tenba Mini is probably the right size, though perhaps a touch deeper than ideal.

With regard to size, for reference, you can slot 2 medium/small m43 lenses front-to-back in it. Also, an E-M5 just fits width-wise in the front-to-back space (if that makes sense).

I don't find the design to be perfect, because putting any non-flat items in the pockets makes the bag seem a bit overstuffed. It's definitely a "structured" bag as opposed to "supple", but that fact, along with the wider (weatherproof) base, means that it definitely won't topple over.

The construction and materials are definitely feel tough and solid, but I do sometimes wish they were softer and less coarse to the touch. Padding is quite good without feeling overdone.

It's been my everyday bag for a few months, and I haven't felt the need to buy anything else... until mattia came I here and said this:

Wow! Thank you. Looks like a nicer-feeling and trimmer but similar bag. Totally infatuated with it now. Even though it looks a little less roomy than my Tenba Mini, which would probably make me irritated, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get one. So "thank you" and "I hate you" for making me want this. ;)

16. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
  17. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Forgot to mention, you can hit the Tenba with a sledgehammer and the cameras will survive.

Well, not literally. :protest_emoticon: But they're better padded than many of the bags I've seen - and I've seen quite a lot throughout my career. It reminds me of the old Tamracs of the past decade, before everyone started cheaping out on dividers. These guys know their stuff.

18. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i is my daily carry. Holds a full sized ipad, E-M1, and two other lenses with room to spare especially if you don't mind stacking.

19. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Good luck trying to get the F Stop gear bags. I've been on hold for a District 13 for almost 2 months with an in stock date no where in sight. I've gotten great discount offers for the Ando bag (which is nice but not my cup of tea).

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My local-ish camera store has most of the mountain series backpacks and the Millar packs in stock. F-stops stock situation for direct sales is. It great from what I've seen...