Another 7-14 Pro going back...!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 28, 2015.

1. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Why did you buy a second one...?
  2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    The OP in that thread wrote 12 hours ago:

and 9 hours ago:

His problem was that the Oly isn't any sharper than the Panasonic he already has. My impression from reviews is the Oly is slightly sharper at f4 and the Panasonic is slightly sharper at f8. It weighs more and costs more because it's weather sealed and a stop faster. Very similar to the differences between Olympus vs Samyang fisheyes, but not as extreme.
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Hope mine ships this week so I have it for shooting fireworks. Where shoot we definitely want weather seal lenses and the one stop of more light for nighttime shooting.
  4. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    He didn't, the link is for another person who has (potentially) returned the 7-14 Pro lens - for entirely different reasons to the OP.

Not sure why this warrants a thread unless there is going to be one for every lens returned?!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Never having handled the 7-14mm f2.8 I'm going to stick my nose into this thread anyway. :coco: I do love my Panny 7-14mm f4.0 though but I still I thought about upgrading until I was able to check out full sample images and compare them to my copy of the Panny 7-14mm f4.0 lens.
    IMHO I think the 7-14mm Pro is sharper in the center and a tiny bit softer in the corners, with the corners almost equal to the Panny 7-14mm f4.0, however even though the new 7-14mm Pro is slightly sharper in the center I prefer the overall image quality of the Panny 7-14mm f4.0. I normally stop down my lens several exposure values to get more depth of field and from the samples I think the two equal out around f5.6. So to me I'd call it a wash unless you need the extra stop, the weather sealing, and can afford the extra cost, keep your Panny 7-14mm f4.0.
  6. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    I know, was just stirring...

Maybe he's trying to justify his whinge about how heavy the lens feels to someone who doesn't even lift, even though this new whinge about image quality is completely unrelated to having muppet arms... :biggrin:
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Maybe T-Rex arms?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    The nice thing about people returning them, you'll be able to buy it cheaper on getolympus hopefully.
    Hand held tonight during the fireworks.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Speaking of handheld fireworks shots.. @20mm & 6+ beers (Traverse City, MI, July 4th 2013):

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 5