Annual Eastern Oregon trip

Real Name
Paul
In previous years I've shared photos of an annual hunting trip to the Strawberry Mountains of Eastern Oregon: here's 2019 and 2018 if you're interested. Nothing from 2020 as I was too busy trying to fill an antelope tag that only comes around every 12-15 years. Anyways, here's some of this year's keepers...
Coyote
P8263403.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I typically stop at the John Day Fossil Beds to take in the sights and pee (not necessarily in that order- this is at about hour 4 on the way over).
P8263418.jpg

Ehh, maybe I won't check out this water hole.
_8289833.jpg

We visited a pretty cool lava flow from the Strawberry Mountain volcanics that are now thought to be associated with the Yellowstone Hotspot. Sister in law added for scale.
P8293462.jpg

Water and time always win.
P8293450.jpg

Here's a few game cam shots of my special place- I've hunted here for a few decades now, and have been fortunate enough to take home a handful of animals over the years, including a 32" mule deer.
Big round brown (black) bear
WGI_0065.JPG

Not sure what's going on here- alien abduction? Also- note the missing tree in this shot compared to the last one.
WGI_2104.JPG

Cool scene
WGI_2698.JPG

Hey Buddy- thanks for: A. Never showing up in daylight and 2. Kicking mud all over my camera
WGI_3744.JPG

At this location, I typically hunt from a tree stand. Critter watching fills the time; it's like having the Discovery Channel on.
P8303529.jpg

Speaking of Discovery Channel...
P8303539.jpg

Nightscape
P9013607.jpg

Space, time, and even a tiny bit of distant light pollution from Burns, the Manhattan of Harney County
P9013624.jpg

Made a second trip over for the last weekend of the season. I hunted from a ground blind this time, which made for even closer encounters with small stuff like this grouse. Fortunately, no taggable big game interrupted my photo shoot.
P9250911.jpg

Aspens- moon added for scale.
P9260945.jpg

Things are different here.
P9260971.jpg

Took the road less traveled on the way home in order to see more of my favorite state.
P9260975.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Glenn
Enjoyed that! You have summarized the best things about hunting trips. Successful hunt! The great ones sometimes are the ones that you don’t see a single sign of what you are after. The images and memories more than make up for it. So many just don’t get that.

Beautiful country up there.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Grins- I'm now in my (early) 50's and I don't feel the need to put something on the ground as long as the freezer is in good shape. I'm keeping the pattern going by duck hunting with my brothers tomorrow at some ungodly hour. I don't like cleaning ducks and I don't especially like eating them so I'm hoping to get some nice "coming in hot" photos with the 300. Of course, it's supposed to be pouring down rain due to a bomb cyclone so we'll be putting the Olympus weather sealing to the test.

Real Name
Glenn
Thanks, Grins- I'm now in my (early) 50's and I don't feel the need to put something on the ground as long as the freezer is in good shape. I'm keeping the pattern going by duck hunting with my brothers tomorrow at some ungodly hour. I don't like cleaning ducks and I don't especially like eating them so I'm hoping to get some nice "coming in hot" photos with the 300. Of course, it's supposed to be pouring down rain due to a bomb cyclone so we'll be putting the Olympus weather sealing to the test.
Good luck to you on the duck hunt. Sounds like you will have the perfect weather for it! I am hoping for a good season here in Louisiana this year but after Ida not sure how it will work out. When it is good it is REALLY good though and I do look forward to it every year. Does seem like those ducks do enjoy that miserable weather!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom