Annual Eastern Oregon trip

Real Name
Paul
Last year, I shared some photo's of our annual hunting trip to Eastern Oregon:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/eastern-oregon.100357/
...the thread was well received so I thought I'd post some pics from this year.
On the way over, I made another stop at the John Day Fossil Beds visitor's center. Petrified wood with part of Sheep Rock in the background
_8221699.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From something small to something kind of big. This was a fun night for astro as there was just a ton of shooting stars.
_8221727.jpg

Cattle chute in Dollar Basin
_8241776.jpg

Sometimes still photos have sound, if you use some imagination
_8251810.jpg

My freezer is pretty full, so I didn't hunt all that hard. That left me time for some strictly photo-centric hikes. I went back to a remote slot canyon I found years ago hoping that recent rains brought the waterfalls back to life (no such luck).
_8261839.jpg

I love opening a box of camping gear months later and being greeted with a cloud of dust (not even joking).
_8271857.jpg

Visited this old line shack on another bow-less hike.
_8281868.jpg

Road to somewhere
P8281909.jpg

I've been coming to these special places for purt near 30 years, but my time in John Day has always been limited to showers at the fairgrounds, gas for the Jeep, and groceries from Chester's (their fried chicken is yummy and a camp staple). This year, I left camp and spent a night at a cheap motel (just 55 bucks!). This was after a nice meal at 1188 Brewing Company, which was after a visit to the Kam Wah Chung State Heritage Site. This is an amazing time capsule; I can't do the story justice in this space, so I encourage you to look it up if you have a second. It's worth a visit if you're ever in these parts.
_8291923.jpg

My plan was to stay in JD in order to leave early to reach the Painted Hills for sunrise. Pretty much everything I read said sunset was better for photography, but I gave it a shot anyways.
_8308086.jpg

Close up look at the Painted Hills- shadow added for scale :)
_8301978.jpg

I spent a few hours on dirt roads before heading home on state highways. This was a lot of fun, and I saw some spectacular country.
_8301985.jpg

John Day River
_8301988.jpg

Mine entrance?
_8301989.jpg

Donnybrook School
_8301993.jpg

Already planning out next year's "long way home".
_8308112.jpg

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Great shots. My wife and I love to wander around eastern Oregon. And it has been years since we visited the museum. Good to hear that it is still in operation.

--Ken

Last year, I shared some photo's of our annual hunting trip to Eastern Oregon:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/eastern-oregon.100357/
...the thread was well received so I thought I'd post some pics from this year.
On the way over, I made another stop at the John Day Fossil Beds visitor's center. Petrified wood with part of Sheep Rock in the background
View attachment 773549
From something small to something kind of big. This was a fun night for astro as there was just a ton of shooting stars.
View attachment 773552
Cattle chute in Dollar Basin
View attachment 773556
Sometimes still photos have sound, if you use some imagination
View attachment 773557
My freezer is pretty full, so I didn't hunt all that hard. That left me time for some strictly photo-centric hikes. I went back to a remote slot canyon I found years ago hoping that recent rains brought the waterfalls back to life (no such luck).
View attachment 773560
I love opening a box of camping gear months later and being greeted with a cloud of dust (not even joking).
View attachment 773561
Visited this old line shack on another bow-less hike.
View attachment 773562
Road to somewhere
View attachment 773575
I've been coming to these special places for purt near 30 years, but my time in John Day has always been limited to showers at the fairgrounds, gas for the Jeep, and groceries from Chester's (their fried chicken is yummy and a camp staple). This year, I left camp and spent a night at a cheap motel (just 55 bucks!). This was after a nice meal at 1188 Brewing Company, which was after a visit to the Kam Wah Chung State Heritage Site. This is an amazing time capsule; I can't do the story justice in this space, so I encourage you to look it up if you have a second. It's worth a visit if you're ever in these parts.
View attachment 773566
My plan was to stay in JD in order to leave early to reach the Painted Hills for sunrise. Pretty much everything I read said sunset was better for photography, but I gave it a shot anyways.
View attachment 773573
Close up look at the Painted Hills- shadow added for scale :)
View attachment 773567
I spent a few hours on dirt roads before heading home on state highways. This was a lot of fun, and I saw some spectacular country.
View attachment 773568
John Day River
View attachment 773569
Mine entrance?
View attachment 773571
Donnybrook School
View attachment 773572
Already planning out next year's "long way home".
View attachment 773574
Wonderful photos. I love the shot with the trees.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom