Annoying Sale Emails

PeteS

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pete Staehling
I have been getting sale emails for the M.ZUIKO ED 75‑300MM F4.8‑6.7 II from Olympus. The price looks good and maybe I'd order one before the sale ends, but I already have one on order from them.

I have been waiting for weeks because they don't have them in stock. They do say "Inventory is limited, so order now to lock in your savings and we'll ship as available throughout the next few months", but really isn't it annoying to be bombarded with sale ads for an item, order it, and wait seemingly forever while they continue to bombard you with ads for said item. It has been 4 weeks now and I am getting very impatient. At least the sale is ending so the ads for this item will stop.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I would have sworn that it was listed as in stock when I ordered it a month ago. It might be that I misread. Saying "inventory is limited" may have caused me to stop at that point thinking that "limited" meant that there was inventory albeit limited. I think that is kind of misleading language, double speak for they are on back order.

Describing zero inventory on a back ordered item as "Inventory is limited" is pretty close to an outright lie. Adding the rest of the sentence tempers it, but the purpose is to make it sound like they are shipping lenses now, when that probably isn't the case unless they have been taking back orders from way back well before mine was ordered a month ago. That or maybe they are skipping over guys like me to ship to preferred dealers and customers.

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I've seen those ads for the Canadian GetOlympus site, too. This week it's all about macro and they say the exact same thing: "Order now to lock in your sale price and we'll ship as we get them"

I don't think they're leapfrogging to retail outlets. I do think they are having issues like everyone else. Ironically, the remote-release for the E-M1mkiii had been on backorder for months - before OMDS took over, and batteries had been backordered for a long time too - now they're both in stock and ready to ship.

Of course, the release began showing in stock just after I bought a Pentax remote, which works on the Olympus. Half the cost, too.

PeteS

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pete Staehling
Olympus continues to tick me off on this one. I still have no word on this back order and they continue to aggressively market this lens which apparently is still not available. My initial motivation to order it was the baby owls that we were watching hatch and grow up. I had hoped to get better pictures than my 40-150 f4-5.6 would allow at the distances I could get to, but alas they have matured and moved away. We enjoyed watching their progress, but didn't document it well. I guess I should have bought a tele-extender as an interim solution. It would still have been useful later as well.

Hopefully I will have the 75‑300 mm F4.8‑6.7 in time for next spring's hatchlings assuming the tree survives hurricane season and mama and daddy owl come back for a 4th season.

Is it normal for Olympus to aggressively market items for months while they are on back order? It is especially annoying when my email box is bombarded with ads for an item I already bought that they can't seem to ship in a reasonable period of time.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Is it normal for Olympus to aggressively market items for months while they are on back order? It is especially annoying when my email box is bombarded with ads for an item I already bought that they can't seem to ship in a reasonable period of time.

Olympus has done that for as long as I can remember. In the early E-1/E-XXX days they did that. They even did that with the OM-4 and again with the OM-4T/Ti.

Come to think of it, Nikon did it with the F100. I remember finding an F100 months after they hit the market was really difficult. Yet I kept getting emails and literature from Nikon advertising it as being out there to buy.

The only companies that always seemed to have everything in stock everywhere were Canon and Minolta.

That's why I keep thinking I've seen these things before.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The key seems to be "lock in your price". I know in the astronomy world the dealers are saying a big price increase is coming very soon, so I'd lock in the purchase now. People are buying 2-5K systems knowing that they may not get them for 4-8 months. Even though I have the PL100-400 I kept my 75-300II because it is actually very good when used right and it fits the M43 USP in being darn small.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom