Annoying Olympus Design

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Sep 8, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I really hate some of the design decisions that Olympus makes, but one that is really annoying is in areas of consistency. One thing that has come to light is that the cable release connection for the EP-2 is different to the EPL-1. The cable release fits both USB ports, but will only work with the EP-2 (though when you plug the cable release into the EPL-1, it turns it on, but does nothing else). Why on earth not make such a fundamental connector work the same with all models?

Cheers

Ray

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ray I just tried my "Jianisi" remote release and yes works fine on the E-P2 but not on the PL1 (does not turn it on either) when inserted into the PL1 port.

I was dismayed when my PL1 arrived a few months back and tried the cable release and it did not work ... delving into the specs for the PL1 showed that remote release feature is not supported in the PL1.

Strange since it should be no cost option ... :(

Put it down to the strange Japanese marketing logic of a "Lesser model" has less features ... lol even the PL1 IBIS supposedly has 1 stop less effectiveness.

3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, that's like the update that removed the option of previewing shots in the viewfinder and defaulting to the main screen. I loved the previous method where it defaulted to whatever viewing option you were using, but now I have to add another step for such a simple task.

Cheers

Ray

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ray I think Brian Mosely communicates with Olympus have a word in his ear about that issue.

Pretty happy with Pens myself in the main am sure they an do lots of things in the firmware.

eg With the E-P2 easy focus box size adjust and a MF option like the E-PL1

Perhaps they would rather sell new bodies and only update FW for bugs ;-)

Cheers

John

5. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Sorry to inform you, The E-PL1 do not have any support for remote triggering. You will notice that the RM-UC1 is in the list of accessories for the E-P2 and E-P1 but not in the E-PL1. The Jiansi or any compatible remote trigger will not work with the E-PL1.:frown:

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I actually raised this when the update happened and there was a lot of discussion about it. Some like the new style, others don't, but I wish you could choose which option to use. I also really like the Pens, why else would I have three of them? :eek: But I do wish that we could have a bit more input into what they provide in terms of features, especially ones that are purely software/firmware driven.

Cheers

Ray

7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Ray, I couldn't agree more about getting the message through to Olympus... I have seen gradually improving respect and attentiveness from them with the growth of the OPSG but over the last couple of years I haven't had the resources to actively drive our membership numbers. I'm on a new project with my business which should ease things, but in the meantime you know you can email me personally and I will make sure the message gets through. The frustration is that this is an 'open loop' communication... we just don't know whether they have taken action until it pops up in an update or future model.

The best thing we can do for now is recommend serious enthusiasts who care about design issues like this register with the Olympus Photo Safari Group ( link in my signature below )... :friends: :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks Brian

I've actually sent e-mails directly to Olympus Japan on some of these issues and I have always received a response, but it's the usual 'Thank you for your suggestion and we will forward it to the development/design/whatever area.' Nice of them to reply, but it probably ends up in file 13.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Not sure what you mean by previewing ... If you are talking about a shot already taken (that would make it kinda postviewing, wouldn't it :wink:), then I found that
    * if you take AF away from the shutter (rec on the E-PL1) and
    * keep that button pressed during and after the shoot,
    > the image will be in the VF, highlights blinking and all, for as long as you press that damn button.

Not that this would be mentioned anywhere in their sad excuse for a manual ...:rolleyes:

Hendrik

10. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I meant reviewing, old timers slipping in. :redface:

Cheers

Ray

11. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Right, and don't you find that using AF on the REC button as described helps with that?

Hendrik

12. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Not 100% related, but how does that work with wireless remote controls, if you push the button all camera's of same model are triggered to make a picture?

13. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    If only the EP2 came in colors, I'd consider it. I don't need a remote release often enough, plus I can use my GF1 for that, so I guess I'm still holding out for a blue EPL1.

14. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i called olympus about the remote shutter release,they say its a Firmware thing. so ..how are we supposed to take pictures of things like fireworks or long exposures without it? their answer is that it will be an update in the near future...

15. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That only happens if you have auto-review enabled, I don't. Plus it's a very annoying way to enable the review, when the previous way worked fine.

Cheers

Ray

16. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    So it is a software thing. I hope they do not wait too long for that update.

17. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This is an interesting development.... I wonder if they really will do another firmware update...
    there are things to be addressed but I never thought that they actually would do so...

18. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    If they make remote release available it would make a lot of people happy. Olympus would also sell a few more of their remote release cables.

You can use the "anti-shock" function to help with shooting fireworks. It causes a delay after pressing the shutter release button. I appears to stop down shutter for the delay, then take picture to avoid any vibration.

19. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

That was a stupid decision....

One wonders where their brains were when they made that one.

We use the viewfinders outside because the bright light makes it difficult to see the lcd.

Having the pictures default to reviewing on the lcd even though one is using the viewfinder just doesn't make sense.

Isabel

20. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Money?